AKAI S2000

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros AKAI S2000

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    pascalc
    Participant
      • Topics: 7
      • Replies: 27
      • Total: 34

Hi,

I have started working on a panel for the AKAI S2000 sampler.

It has previously been discussed in this forum but nothing has been delivered so far.

Until now I have done the basic editing of programs.

Here are the next steps:
      * Add the ability to load key groups and programs from the S2K and also from files.
      * Continue on the Sample view stub I have done so far.

I would much appreciate testing, ideas, help with the GUI or any other contribution!

BR
      /Pascal

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      dreamer
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Replies: 14
        • Total: 14

This already looks great pascalc!

Unfortunately I’m having some issues with Ctrlr/JUCE on my home computer, but I hope to dive in to your panel soon.

cheers on your current progress 🙂

Synthetech
        Participant
          • Topics: 13
          • Replies: 70
          • Total: 83

wow that does look nice!

kinda wish I had kept my S2000 now..

Pascalc, I was trying to find a way to contact you about the TX7 panel you helped script.. I am looking for some pointers to fetch patch dumps from microKorg, edit the dump with modulator values and other called methods, then send the dump back for edits that require a total dump write back to the korg.

if you are still around, I sure could use some help to adapt your scripts for my needs.. I like how streamlined your code is 🙂

Symphonicsamples
          Participant
            • Replies: 5
            • Total: 5

Looks awesome, I just pulled my s2000 out of storage and going to dive in. Have you done any updates since ???
            Cheers

pascalc
            Participant

Hi Symphincsamples!

Sorry for the late response. I have made quite a lot of updates actually. But then I have not touched the panel for a while..

I opened it up today and realized that there are some bugs I have to fix before I pass it to you as it does not work currently.

I will try do so that during this week and then I can upload the panel in the thread.

It would be great if you could test it on your sampler!

BR
              /Pascal

Symphonicsamples
              Participant

Glad to hear back, thats good news. RE: testing, absolutely, looking forward to trying the latest version out !!

Cheers

pascalc
                Participant

Hi again!

Here is the latest version of the panel.

You have to press RPLIST in order to load the programs of the sampler before you begin.

You should then be able to switch and edit programs.

This is a very complex panel and I haven’t worked much on the performance yet so switching programs is very slow.

Br
                  /Pascal

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  dreamer
                  Participant
                    • Replies: 14
                    • Total: 14

Cool! I hope to dust off my S2000 soon and have a go at it 🙂

Symphonicsamples
                    Participant

Thank you !!, much appreciated, just had a quick look at work. Will you be add back the sample page you had before and be implementing functionality ? Will give it a test drive later.

Cheers

Symphonicsamples
                      Participant

Hey pascalc, I tried to test the panel out but it doesn’t send anything to the S2000. If I load the previous version you had the s2000 responds to various things like tune and so on , but the new panel doesn’t effect anything. Also I get a calllback error: onDrumMapProgramNameChange when Ctrlr loads , if I remove the s2000 panel it’s fine. Any suggestions >

Cheers

dashie
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 1
                          • Replies: 4

Thanks pascalc this this panel !

I have a S2000 and am greatly interested by this panel.

Edit: seems fixed:

In generic/Logger LUA script I’ve done the following edit:

local GLOBAL_LOG_FILE,err = io.open("C:\\users\\rhaam\\desktop\\akaiS2000Panel.log", "w")

if err then
                            console(err)
                          end

At first with only “akaiS2000Panel.log” and I got some Permission Denied.

So I used a full path to my Desktop and it’s OK.

Adding the ,err and console(err) would be great for debug help in some cases with IO.
                          Also the double \\ is mandatory.

I haven’t checked for a cross-platform way in LUA to get some “user directory” to put the log (yes even C:\whatever.log wouldn’t open).

I will try more in details when I will got my midi interface working again.

Old message:

Which version of Ctrlr is needed for it ?

Using 5.4.29 and the latest Akai-s2000.panel I got when opening the panel, each error after validating the older with “OK”:

onPanelBeforeLoad:
                          Error message: [string "Logger"]:36: attempt to index upvalue 'GLOBAL_LOG_FILE' (a nil value)
                          onPanelRestoreState:
                          Error message: [string "onPanelLoaded"]:36: attempt to index global 'globalController' (a nil value)
                          onPanelLoaded:
                          Error message: [string "onPanelLoaded"]:36: attempt to index global 'globalController' (a nil value)
                          • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by dashie. Reason: added callback names
                          • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by dashie. Reason: seems fixed: added infos
                          pascalc
                          Participant

Thanks to you both for providing quick feedback.

The boot sequence of the panel has lately changed a lot and hence what you see are some child deseases from that change.

I will look into the issue based on the logs you provided, Dashie.

I’ll get back to you with a new version when it’s ready.

BR
                            /Pascal

dashie
                            Participant
                              • Topics: 1
                              • Replies: 4

The issue is resolved since it was a directory rights problem.
                              And since you probably rewrote this part we will look next.

Waiting to see a newer version to try it !

human fly
                              Participant
                                • Topics: 124
                                • Replies: 1070
                                • Total: 1194
                                • ★★★★

good idea, s2k. downloading to have a look.

cybtraxx
                                Participant
                                  • Replies: 1
                                  • Total: 1

Well done!
                                  I’ve got an AKAI S3200Xl, hope it works, too. I’m gonna test it out 🙂

human fly
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★★★

oh yes. just had a look at it. that looks very nice.
                                    i’m trying to remember the s3000xl i had.
                                    the s2000 is pretty much the same thing, isn’t it,
                                    just stashed behind a smaller lcd?

this is just single mode, isn’t it? can’t remember
                                    what that’s called. have you thought about having
                                    the multimode as well? i used to use my one in lazy
                                    mode, just making keygroups on a single MIDI Ch, and
                                    never exploited the multi channel mode. but you need
                                    it, if you want CCs/pitchbend etc.

i’ve been wondering if an s2000 would actually be nicer
                                    to use, with the smaller lcd, a bit like an updated s950.
                                    (but i’ve got an esi4000 now, so that probably won’t happen,
                                    and unfortunately they designed that not to do sysex)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by human fly.
                                    human fly
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★★★

ah yes: what i meant to drop in there, at this stage of
                                      your build: if wanted to do that – do multi mode – would
                                      you use UITabs?

and if so, how do you find moving multiple modulators
                                      together? i see you’ve put them in Groups. there’s still
                                      a knack to handling those, isn’t there?(!)

i mean, if you decide, ok, i want 2 tabs, that’s a delicate
                                      operation, moving out all the groups, trying to preserve the
                                      layout, creating the Tabs, then putting all the Groups back
                                      in. nightmare !! or would you use Layers? i’ve had a look at
                                      layers, but i can’t remember the particularities.

i don’t think Tabs are ideal, tbh. i’d like to find a way
                                      of calling Layers with buttons i can have anywhere i want.
                                      sizing and styling of Tabs is quite restricted and i’ve
                                      found some little problems you have to work around.

ooze
                                      Participant
                                        • Topics: 8
                                        • Replies: 18
                                        • Total: 26

hello pascal, just stumbled across this thread in search for a s-2000 editor. just wanted to ask if this project has been further developed?

pascalc
                                        Participant

Hi!

Unfortunately I have not made any progress lately.

If you are interested in helping me out in any way we could perhaps discuss how to proceed.

BR
                                          /Pascal

JeanFi
                                          Participant
                                            • Replies: 3
                                            • Total: 3

Hi

I discovered just CTRLR, I was looking for information on the creation of a panel for the S2000 and I came across this work: sincerely congratulations! For my part, the first panel gives good results and the second does not work. Personally I do not know LUA script by cons; I already made control panels for the Akai S2000 with the editor of the software “cubase”, so I know quite well the sysex mapping of this machine. I use this sampler a lot, that’s why I want to share my opinions about the design of a panel for this machine. There may not be much to refine on the first panel, or the second to make it more convenient.

First, sysex controllers for this machine work better in the context of “multi” than in the context of “single”. For my part, I ended up giving up the creation of single prog panels because the S2000 does not respond well. This is due to a weird thing in singles designs: it does not matter which program number or MIDI channel is programmed: the sampler arranges its programs as it has decided and the only reliable way to know which program corresponds to a Sysex message. is to watch with the wheel in what order it displays them: the first program displayed will be prog 00 in the message sysex even if it has been named prog N ° 3 ch 10, the second program displayed will be prog 01 even if called it prog N ° 5 ch 2 etc … from there I did not find the logic to make a reliable panel, it always ends up tearing the hair, more you have to be in “single edit” mode for that the movements happen in real time, which never makes us hear the entirety of a multitimbral configuration.
                                            Akai had just solved these problems on this series by integrating the mode “multi”

Concretely only 1 byte changes between single and multi, just replace 28 by 42.
                                            Example for the stereo volume:
                                            Single: F0 47 00 28 48 n ° prog 00 00 17 00 01 00 lsb msb F7
                                            Multi: F0 47 00 42 48 n ° prog 00 01 17 00 01 00 lsb msb F7

The messages of keygroups are exactly the same in single and multi except that a multi, they work in real time!

Then I think that it is not a good idea to focus on the loading of programs and samples via the computer: MESA, RECYCLE, MILLENNIUM and other do it well. For editing waves, it will be better to edit the samples on an external editor such as sound forge or other. I really think that on this machine, the really beneficial panel is the one that will control everything in the pages: multi and multi edit. nothing more. Although I recognize that if the sample edit and effect edit modes could be mapped, it will be great! will it work in real time? I have not tried yet.

Basically: the same panel “hello kity” without the file system section, the edition of wave, and the selection of samples in keygroup areas: all for multi instead of single and it’s going to start to be well. Too bad I do not know LUA because I have contributed much more to programming.
                                            Can this job be restarted please?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 76 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr