All Lua programming lost!?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr All Lua programming lost!?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SWB
    Participant
      • Topics: 35
      • Replies: 157
      • Total: 192
      • ★★

Today I started CTRLR up to find all my Lua programming has disappeared! This really annoyed me, because a lot of work was lost. I’m using Mac version 5.2.122. (Not the latest because the latest version refuses to load images which is quit essential for me when developing.) Version 122 is dated november 2015, so rather old.

Now for some letting go of steam, though I really do have great respect for all the work Roman (aka Atom) has put in the developing of CTRLR.

Sometime ago I did donate money so he could buy a Mac, the idea being he was able to develop more specific for the Mac OS X platform. I believe the raised funds were (almost) enough to buy a decent Mac mini. Forgive me and maybe I’m wrong, but I still don’t see improvement in the pace of Mac releases, while the Windows versions are updated regularly. So please try to make a stable Mac version to prove me I’m wrong!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by SWB.
      Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

You always should save your work. I am saving about every hour by “Export compressed binary + ressources”.
        The newest Mac version seems quite ok to me. All my panels are working flawlessly and they all have included picture ressources (usually .png files). In the recent Windows builds Atom did some experiments that went wrong and have been reverted (e.g. new Lua version). So you really don’t miss a lot with the recent Mac version: http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.3.198.dmg

SWB
        Participant
          • ★★

I did save this panel yesterday evening just before I quit (went to bed). I usually save every 15 minutes or even more often, especially when I have done a lot of programming. When I openend this morning this panel all Lua methods were gone, except of course the build ins. Luckily a panel of 2 days old was still in the trash, so I could use that one as a start…

In the meantime I did found out the fundraising yielded $ 125 (of $ 500), so that is probably not enough to let Roman buy a Mac computer. So I urge every Mac user of CTRLR to contribute in on way or another to help him out. It is our own interest!

I will now make it a habit of saving my panel “versioned” and I will try version 5.3.198.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by SWB.
          SWB
          Participant
            • ★★

Well, I did try version 5.3.198, but no MIDI in and no MIDI out activity detected (so none of the components work) and the ‘panel background image’ tells me ‘no choices’ even after I added a png file… So still trouble and for the time being I stick with 5.3.122.

Possemo
            Participant
              • ★★★

I cannot test midi in on my vm-mac. Sending to midi out seems to work (tested with midi utilities and Ctrlr midi monitor). Selecting images does not work indeed. It just works when the image is already selected. There seems to be room for improvements/fixes.

memorysplice
              Participant
                • Replies: 59
                • Total: 73

Did you code outside of CTRL in a text editor such as sublime text or an ide like Xcode?

SWB
                Participant
                  • ★★

No, I didn’t code outside CTRL.

To be frank, I (almost) giving up trying to use CTRL for building MIDI interfaces. I’m looking into other ways, like JUCE. But JUCE is at the moment a too steep learning curve for me, thought the community is very helpful. MAX is another possibiity and also Lemur and TBStuff are candidates, but that software is primarily for the iPad.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by SWB.
                  dnaldoog
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 4
                    • Replies: 480
                    • Total: 484
                    • ★★

….”I did save this panel yesterday evening just before I quit (went to bed). I usually save every 15 minutes or even more often, especially when I have done a lot of programming.”

Me too!! On windows – all lost when closing Ctrlr and re-opening.

Ctrlr is blank and any attempt to restore using a program like Meld or NotePad++ results in the file not being able to be opened either

Possemo
                    Participant
                      • ★★★

Maybe delete the following folder:
                      C:\Users\”yourUsername”\AppData\Roaming\Ctrlr
                      This will reset Ctrlr.

dnaldoog
                      Participant
                        • ★★

Thanks Possemo – yes I tried all that – even installing a different version – I think in my case it had something to do with tabs and groups, shuffling them around; cutting and pasting etc. It was all working until I closed Ctrlr and re-opened, then nothing, just a blank canvas.

I wonder if there’s a generally agreed upon most stable version of Ctrlr for Windows? I am using 5.3.199 – the latest version seems less stable.

I now do a backup before making any big changes or every few minutes or so.

Still, Ctrlr is quite amazing! A great recent discovery for me.

human fly
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 124
                          • Replies: 1070
                          • Total: 1194
                          • ★★★★

i would suggest ONLY DELETING the Ctrlr Settings file,
                          or move it to where it can’t be found (you won’t need
                          it again, another will be written) – why? because you
                          want to keep your resource folders, or files will load
                          not knowing what resources they have, and you have to
                          reload them.

i have now got a pretty reliable thing going on with
                          saving and recovering files – haha until i next lose
                          everything..
                          basically: if you crash: re-open, close the file it opens
                          with, and load from your last saved – unless you want the
                          cached version(?) which is the last autosaved version, as
                          far as i can work out. i prefer to go back to my last
                          good save, and i never do too much between save versions.

atom
                          Keymaster
                            • Topics: 159
                            • Replies: 2945
                            • Total: 3104
                            • ★★★★★

i’m sorry about all that, there is a bug in there somewhere and i need to fix it, i’ll try to at least make a workaround so that all the work doesn’t get lost. i promise some bug fixes soon

dnaldoog
                            Participant
                              • ★★

Thanks Human Fly and Atom,

Yes, I am sure there must be something in there that causes the panel to not open on re-opening of Ctrlr. In my case I was sure it was cutting and pasting modulators from another panel into groups or tabs, but I couldn’t be sure.

But it hasn’t happened often and I am still constantly impressed with what Ctrlr can do to allow deeper access to these old synths!

m.tarenskeen
                              Participant
                                • Topics: 30
                                • Replies: 113
                                • Total: 143
                                • ★★

I have experienced loss of my Lua code more than once.
                                In some occasions it happened after disabling Lua, this is (or hopefully was) a known bug that was reported somewhere in this forum before.

In some occasions I have lost my work after I made a coding error that would crash Ctrlr. It’s very easy to make LUA typos and programming errors. I do that a lot 🙂
                                But loosing all my work should not be the result.

It would be nice if Lua code could be saved and loaded separately from the panel xml file, in a separately editable text file. That would make it easier to fix bugs if a Panel crashes before you have a chance to fix it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                              There is currently 0 users and 32 guests online
                              No users are currently active
                              Forum Statistics
                              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                              Ctrlr