anyone use ableton with ctrlr?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr anyone use ableton with ctrlr?

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    rosko
    Participant
      • Topics: 0
      • Replies: 7
      • Total: 7

I just purchased the monstrum wave panel & i’m using it in live 8. I seem not to have to disable any ports like in the beta. Only problem is i can not get the modulation matrix to work at all in the full version or 2.19 beta, anyone else? Also the pitchbend & modifiers do not animate in the full version like they should. And the full version crashes in live 9beta but 2.19 does work.

msepsis
      Participant
        • Topics: 219
        • Replies: 732
        • Total: 951
        • ★★★

Hey Rosko, I missed your post here on page two of the thread. I’m done with a project that took up most of my February and will be taking an in depth look at the issue you’re having. I would be wary of using ableton 9 at this point as.. well.. dude it’s not even released yet, so that shouldn’t be a shock if there are issues there.

If you could describe with a little more detail the crash in live you are having some ppl might be able to help, myself included.

I can say with certainty that you’re the only user who’s reported that the modulation matrix doesn’t work at all, I emailed you about that offline and I suspect the issue is your expectation on how the mod matrix actually works – If your destination modulator in the mod matrix is fm amount, that does not mean that the fm amount KNOB itself is modulated – you wont see the fm amt knob move, It might be helpful to read the portion of the microwave II/XT manual to help understand how the matrix works.

I know you had some things you wanted to check over and verify, take your time and do that and let me know where you’re at. I’m also an ableton live customer so I’ll be getting the upgrade in four days when it’s released.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

rosko
        Participant

OK i am getting some were, I now have the matrix working fine, I’m not sure what was going on but it was to do with something in the midi setup & now all parameters work as they should. Also the pitch wheel & modifier animate, this was fixed by installing the latest nightly release.

Still a few issues though with getting the set-up right. I get allot of warning errors when loading a panel for example ImportResource: XTKnobSemitone-shadowfailed, a resorce with this name already exists & Timer callback error[31] .

So will continue to try different ctrlr versions & setups.

One thing i was sure i could do with previous releases & definitely with other panels is record automation as i would a normal vst? So will also try to get that back.

rosko
          Participant

Returned to  version 1102, as have a feeling when initially installed it was not installed correctly due to other versions being installed, using revo to uninstall everything no more pop up errors.

The issue with pitch bend & modifier wheels not animating is back,  can anyone confirm they can see a pitch wheel move when changing the pitch with a mouse & in which ctrlr version? The sound itself changes & can see the value in the lcd screen so still usable just awkward to use.

I notice now that the parameters update when a patch changes & displays patch name this was not happening when the midi was not set-up correctly.

I have automation parameters sort of working in a tx802 panel a random selection of them & nothing in monstrumwave yet.

minor9
            Participant
              • Replies: 3
              • Total: 3

noisemonkey wrote:
              so just to clarify, in Ableton midi settings you turn off monitor and tracking?I wasn’t sure what you meant regarding the audio effect/ inputs/outputs

For the midi ports go to menu Options->Preferences->Midi Sync, and in there put everything on the port(s) connected to your synth to “off”, so Live doesn’t get in the way of Ctrlr when it connects to them. The external audio effect trick is if you have your synth plugged to your sound card and want to have the audio coming from the synth inside Live, and on the same track you control it from. Live allows to use external hardware effects with an effect called External Audio Effect (in the Audio Effects section of Live’s own plugins, not the VSTs), who will send audio it receives from its track to an effect and receive the modified sound. What’s usefull for us is that it will always receive any audio it receives and send it into the track, so we don’t send anything, but receive the synth’s sound. It’s not what it was designed for but it works. One thing I’m not sure tho is if the External Audio Effect is included in all Live’s versions, I own Live Suite 8 so I got it but it might not be available for you if you use another version. Don’t hesitate if you got any other question or unclear stuff in what I wrote, also I have a french version of Live so some words in settings might differ on your version.

Llamatron, thanks for all the information, it has been to great help! Since you seem pretty knowledgeable on this subject, maybe you could try and answer me this: Is there any way of sending midi clock from ableton to my Virus KC? Your solution with the external audio effect unit is the best one I’ve tried so far, however after two days of trial and error I haven’t been able to find a proper way to control my virus with ctrlr AND midi clock/sync. This process is starting to really get on my nerves, I just want to use this stupid synthesizer with live 8 – but IN TIME!!!

Please help me, I would be so grateful!

/Desperado

Llamatron
              Participant
                • Topics: 7
                • Replies: 27
                • Total: 34

The only option I can think of would be using loopMIDI ( http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html ) to create a couple of virtual midi ports, one for Ctrlr and the other one for Live’s midi clock messages, and merge them on your physical midi output connected to the synth using Midi-OX or the simpler miditrix http://www.hermannseib.com/english/miditrix.htm

did a quick test and I could get sync + Ctrlr working at the same time with loopMIDI and miditrix

minor9
                Participant

Thank you!

I’ll try that out. Such a shame that is has to be so complicated… I tried an early version of reKon audios VST controller for the virus, worked great with both midi clock and parameter control, however the software is pretty buggy and crashes when you change sound presets, which makes it useless. There’s a newer version for sale that’s supposed to have support for Live, but there’s no trial version available and I won’t risk spending money on it only to be disappointed.

Gah, maybe it’s time to go all software.

jms
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 6
                    • Replies: 24
                    • Total: 30

Have you tried rewiring Live to Logic/Cubase and slave the Virus to either one?
                    Just an idea, i suppose.

It has happened to everyone once, sometimes is really just the little things, could have you by any chance forgotten you turned off the midi sync in the Virus and forgot to turn it back on?

I don’t know Live, i’m afraid i can’t be much more of help.

Best luck.

minor9
                    Participant

That may work, although it’s really not an option for me. Trying to stick with Live only. I’ve also been thinking about getting some external midi controller, and rewiring to another DAW would just make it overly complicated (or rather an unnecessary load on the cpu).

Appreciate the tip though.

Llamatron – in miditrix, I merged the two virtual ports to my midi output (MOTU Traveler), now how do I set it up in Ctrlr and Live’s settings? What’s the ins/outs in ctrlr, and what about the track/sync/remote in Live’s preferences? Also, the actual ports in my Traveler, what about the settings for those?

Sorry for nagging about it, but I still can’t get it to run properly. Need the last bit of the puzzle 😉

Thanks.

Llamatron
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 7
                        • Replies: 27
                        • Total: 34

To start with I don’t know if it’s necessary but I disabled all ports except the ones I needed in miditrix, that would be the virtual ports ins and outs and the interface’s output port connected to the synth. (MIDI > Input devices… / Output devices…)

In Ctrlr MIDI>Output>Device choose a virtual port, in Live’s midi dialog enable sync on the other virtual port in the Output section only, and make sure nothing is selected for the 3 other virtual ports entries (in & out). I don’t know your midi interface so I can’t give you any advice if it got some settings.

Miditrix’s boxes turn green when some midi signal travels through them, and midi sync is a flow of constant small messages so the box should turn green when sync goes through it, and you should see the other box temporary turn green when some notes or control messages go through. This hint could help you get the right setting.

One last thing: if you midi devices order change (like for example an interface that is not always turned on) you might have to redo miditrix’s config.

msepsis
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 219
                          • Replies: 732
                          • Total: 951
                          • ★★★

I just wanted to bring this topic up again as I had to do a little extra tinkering with some (recently added?) midi thru settings in the more recent ctrlr revs to get vst instances working in ableton

My method for ctrlr in Live:
                          – Disable the midi ports of the machine you want to control in Live
                          – Put Ctrlr on a Midi track, load your panel. Be sure to select the output and “Thru from host to device” in Panel settings

by “Put Ctrlr on a MIDI track”, you just load the panel instance the “Plug-Ins” category.

Additionally you need to enable Plugin Host-> Output Device under “MIDI, MIDI Thru” in order for MIDI to go from live’s sequencer to the synth connected in MIDI Output Devices.

Just for completeness here’s how I’m wording the setup for my users in the readme. Replace (the panel) with your panel name. thanks to llamatron for the basic outline 🙂

1. Disable the midi ports of the machine you want to control in your DAW.
                          2. Load the (the panel) VST into your DAW.
                          3. Select the MIDI Out Device connected to your synth in (the panel)’s “MIDI” menu.
                          4. Click “Input from plugin host” and “Output to plugin host” under the MIDI” menu. Both these items should appear in the MIDI menu with a check mark next to them.
                          5. Additionally you must enable Plugin Host-> Output Device under “MIDI, MIDI Thru” (In the top Menu) in order for MIDI to go from the DAW to your synth connected to the MIDI Output Device you select in the step above.
                          6. For Ableton Live: Put an external audio effect after (the panel) in the tracks chain, select no output for Audio To, and your sound cards channel receiving the synths output in Audio From.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

Filip acidpunx
                          Participant
                            • Replies: 1
                            • Total: 1

nice one!!! Big thanx for helping out.Now can start fun with the roland JX8P 🙂 .

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
                          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                          There is currently 0 users and 52 guests online
                          No users are currently active
                          Forum Statistics
                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                          Ctrlr