BPM from host

Home Forums General Programming BPM from host

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    proton
    Participant
      • Topics: 19
      • Replies: 94
      • Total: 113
      • ★★

Hello great bunch of talented people!

I have an idea for a panel that is ringing in my head for a quite some time now but the first thing I would like to make sure is possible before I start getting too exited is this:
      How do I get a BPM from a host so my sequence or tempo will be in sync???
      I did some tests with timers etc and used simple slider to change the tempo in the test panel but what I realized pretty fast is the need to have a bpm input from my host.
      I plan to use my panel as a VST plugin inside a DAW so the bpm sync is crucial to me in that case.
      Any ideas how to even start tackling this subject?
      Thanks in advance!

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 80
        • Replies: 793
        • Total: 873
        • ★★★

Do you plan to generate midi signals from the panel in sync with the host? Atom has warned some times that Ctrlr is not a good solution if you want perfect timing, specially anything LUA related.

Also, timers aren’t very accurate, you can get variations of +- 10 ms.

I can’t think of a way to pass the bpm, but if you can generate midi clock in the host you can pass it to the panel with the MIDI thru options.

proton
        Participant
          • ★★

Hi dasfaker, and thank you for the input!

yes, I plan to generate chords that will be triggered by pressing a button (no problem here) or automatically on a beat (every 2 bars for example, or every quarter) and for that bpm input is a must I think.
          I use LUA for generating the chords structure/voicing and when I set the tempo using a temposlider and play them against the same tempo in my DAW all stays in perfect sync for many many minutes – tested already. The problem is the communication and syncing between both but maybe the MIDI thru option you’ve mentioned is worth exploring. Thank you for that!
          If there are more ideas – feel free to spill them all 😉
          Cheers!

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

This is something i was planning on adding, however this will be done in a very different way.

There needs to be a new lua context for just the audio thread, and the two contexts will communicate using some king od RPC but will not be able to access it’s data directly. This will enable realtime audio processing in one context and react to those audio information in the GUI context. It will enable making LFOs sequencers envelopes etc time based. This is a work in progress in my head for now, but it’s something i want to do.

dasfaker
            Keymaster
              • Topics: 80
              • Replies: 793
              • Total: 873
              • ★★★

This could be a game changer, go for it!!

proton
              Participant
                • ★★

Hi Atom,
                you read in my mind! 😉
                This would be awesome if this option will find its place in Ctrlr.
                I will start testing things here and there and prepare myself mentally for this to be available at a certain time!
                Take your time thou, no hurry, we are sooo grateful that you invest so much of your free time to develop this monster, hats off Sir!
                Have a great evening everybody!
                Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 79 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr