Buttons and Sliders working incorrectly???

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Buttons and Sliders working incorrectly???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stoner
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 28
      • Total: 30

I asked these questions in the chat window but never received a response so I will open them as issues.  In my opinion there are a couple of controls that I am using that do not work as expected.  The issues are:

1) Why does the spring mode slider not send the spring back value when the slider is released???

2) Also, why does the momentary toggle button not send the on state when the button is pressed and the off state when it is released? The images on the button would imply that should be the behaviour.

In my opinion, issue 1 is a bug as it should send the MIDI out when it returns to its spring back position.  All pitch bend wheels act this way and I would expect all similar Sliders to work the same way.

The second issue should work such that if only one value is specified (i.e. a Sysex Message that does NOT send a value such as the All Sounds OFF or All NOtes Off) would only send the message on the button down (when the switch shows it’s on position).  If there are two values specified for the switch, I would expect the On or True  or Down value to be sent when the On image is shown as the single option above does, but when the button is released it would then send the Off Value.  This would be similar to pressing Note On and then Note Off on a keyboard.

Please let me know what you think on these two (three) issues.  Thanks.

Stoner

Stoner
      Participant

No one has answered or acknowledged this yet again.  This is the third attempt to get some comment about these issues.  There is a third/fourth issue I would like addressed also.

3) The FileListBox does not have the same capabilities as the ListBox. There is no ability to set Selected Font colour nor any ability to set Outline Colour or width or Scrollbar colours on the FileListBox like on the ListBox.  Also, on both I do not see a get selected item capability.

I must be missing something somewhere??

Stoner

dasfaker
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 80
          • Replies: 793
          • Total: 873
          • ★★★

Those issues can only be addressed by Atom. All seems reasonable but I haven’t used any of them.

What do you mean with “Also, on both I do not see a get selected item capability.”?

Stoner
          Participant

@dasfaker, well normally when programming list boxes in any windows system using the Windows API or Java API there is a method that allows one to get and set the selected item in the list box.  I do not see that in the ListBox or the FileListBox, so I must be missing something.

@Atom
            , should the spring mode slider send the final midi message to the device when it springs back???

Stoner

atom
            Keymaster
              • Topics: 159
              • Replies: 2945
              • Total: 3104
              • ★★★★★

I don’t know i never used that option i just added this as part of the JUCE API. I’ll see if it posts value changes when “springing” back.

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

That’s fixed for the sliders (the uiSlider already worked just the image based ones didn’t).

Stoner
                Participant

@Atom  Thanks for that one, how about the button problem mentioned above.  Hopefully it will be as simple.

Stoner

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • ★★★★★

This is not really an issue a momentary button is what is says, it sends one value when it’s pressed there is no OFF state for it just one state, it’s purpose is for example for starting a sequencer you need to send ONE event upon pressing a button. If you want two events for a momentary button, then that’s just a button with two values, prepare your images right and you’ll get your desired behavior.

Stoner
                    Participant

@Atom, I agree if there is only one value to send as in the All Notes Off message or as you said starting a sequencer…. but in the case of for instance a Sustain button, it would have two values and still be momentary.  When it presses it turns on and when released it turns off.  Also, the images shown reflect that this should be happening.

Although the images reflect a momentary switch, the values sent act like a normal button.  On with on press then off with the next press.  Should it be like that???

Stoner

jersmi
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 0
                        • Replies: 9
                        • Total: 9

Newb here. I also expected the imageButton ‘momentary’ setting to behave as Stoner suggested…. I’m confused — what’s the difference between this behavior and a toggle? Also, mouse down changes the image state (turns on), but it sends the value with mouse up.

At any rate, I’m looking for a trigger behavior, send a value with mouse down for a duration of one sample when button is pressed, followed by 0’s.

EDIT: I guess atom is saying the momentary is supposed to work like a gate (not Note On and Note Off triggers), sending a continuous value when the button is pressed. If so, what is it supposed to send when released? Also continuous values with the down “off” state?

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by jersmi.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                      There is currently 0 users and 50 guests online
                      No users are currently active
                      Forum Statistics
                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                      Ctrlr