Called to calculate new modulator value from a MIDI value

Home Forums Platform Specific OSX Called to calculate new modulator value from a MIDI value

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    danrand
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 7
      • Total: 8

The “Called to calculate new modulator value from a MIDI value” callback is crashing every single time when the Sysex parameter is received from a DX11 (it’s the same rotary used in the TX81Z panel).

Everything’s fine without the callback, but I need the callback to disable a switch on the panel.

It’s happening with the attached panel too.

I’m on OS X El Cap 10.11.3. The crash is happening in the AU Ctrlr plugin, both version 5.3.85 and 5.3.163.

Also clicking on modulators is edit mode takes much longer for the modulator to be highlighted in 5.3.163. Has anything slowed down since 5.3.85, or is it just new code in editor mode only? I’m a bit reluctant to stay on 5.3.163 because it didn’t fix the crash bug.

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by danrand.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      danrand
      Participant

Forgot to say I’m using Logic 10.2.1

Possemo
        Participant
          • Topics: 14
          • Replies: 638
          • Total: 652
          • ★★★

imho the plugin version of Ctrlr is quite buggy. For my panel (SuperJX OS4.x editor) I advise people to use the standalone version. With a multiclient MIDI-interface (I think all interfaces today are multiclient capable) you can run Ctrlr and a sequencer like Cubase in parallel. Sure, you cannot automate faders as with a plugin but for me the much smoother working standalone ver. outweights the lack of plugin specific features.

danrand
          Participant

I’ve had 3 stable plugins running on 5.1.2 for over a year and half, and they make heavy use of Lua.

It’s just 5.3.85, and 5.3.163 in particular that I’m having problems with. I don’t think any of my Lua code is running at all in 5.3.163, or none of my modValChanged() callbacks are being called?

I need DAW recall too. Non-negotiable.

danrand
            Participant

OK, it seems it’s just uiButton’s so far that aren’t triggering the modValChanged() callback. The buttons aren’t doing anything in 5.3.163 on El Cap.

I don’t even think the mouse click is triggering a mod val change.

So that’s the newModValFromMidiVal() that’s crashing completely, and so far the buttons aren’t even switching between 0 and 1.

danrand
              Participant

I’ve had 3 stable plugins running on 5.1.2

I meant 5.3.57. I think? At least, a version prior to 5.3.85.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • Topics: 159
                  • Replies: 2945
                  • Total: 3104
                  • ★★★★★

Anything on OSX right now i beyond anything i can fix. And yes there are bugs in previous versions i try to fix one at a time when they get reported.

In case of LUA it’s not that easy, very often people crash Ctrlr using Lua, and you can do that, LUA in Ctrlr has direct access to all Ctrlr memory so if you do something that crashes the program in LUA it will crash there is no “sandboxing” or anything like that.

danrand
                  Participant

Quick update. It seems the “Called to calculate the MIDI value to send” hook/callback? just isn’t being called in any version after 262f2710 (Apr 2014), but I can’t go back that far. And the “Called to calculate new modulator value from a MIDI value” hook is crashing all version of Ctrlr that I’ve used – so the crash problem looks El Capitan related because it wasn’t crashing in 262f where most of my Lua code was written. Luckily I’m not really using the hooks anyway, so I’ve gone back to 5.3.85 which seems to have the most stable plugin/GUI editor.

One thing that would help is being able to determine why the modValChanged() hook has been called i.e. was the mod val change coming from the GUI, MIDI input or controller input. That way I could bypass using these hooks and do all my processing in the modValChanged() hook. Is there any way to do that in Lua?

Anything on OSX right now i beyond anything i can fix. And yes there are bugs in previous versions i try to fix one at a time when they get reported.

No problem, I’m aware of the OS X situation. Just view some of my posts as a “for future reference”.

In case of LUA it’s not that easy, very often people crash Ctrlr using Lua

How very dare you. My Lua code is solid as a rock! :):):)

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by danrand.
                    atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

I’ll have a look at those hooks i’m pretty sure that they are called on a different thread so the fact they might be crashing Ctrlr would seem very likely.

I need to check, i had an idea behind those but i’m not sure if it’s still a good idea.

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★★★

Can you show me the piece of code that crashes ctrlr ?

danrand
                        Participant

It’s just the template hooks that get created in the editor on a blank new panel. I haven’t added any code to the hooks at all, or code in the panel at all.

The “Called to calculate the MIDI value to send” isn’t crashing, it just isn’t being called. “Called to calculate new modulator value from a MIDI value” is the one that’s crashing since. Neither hook works after version 262f on El Capitan, although they worked on Lion (I think).

The modValChanged() hook is working as normal, otherwise my panels wouldn’t work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘OSX’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                        There is currently 0 users and 66 guests online
                        No users are currently active
                        Forum Statistics
                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                        Ctrlr