Confused about sharing midi devices

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Confused about sharing midi devices

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mgfaudio
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 6
      • Total: 8

hi there,
      i have a bit of a love / hate relationship with this program. i love the idea behind it and the community that works hard on making great panels for free. but i hate that i still can never get it to work easily.. there must be something i am missing or doing wrong.

am i right in saying that if i want to use it as a plugin in ableton i have to also disable the midi port in live? my alternative has always been to use max alongside ableton and just use editors i have made there to pass sysex through. for some reason max and ableton are both able to access my device. is there something i can do about this? from memory, running the standalone alongside ableton is ok and i can use the midi device there. but as soon as it is in vst form it tells me it is unable to access it. what am i doing wrong here?

cheers for your help!

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 80
        • Replies: 793
        • Total: 873
        • ★★★

am i right in saying that if i want to use it as a plugin in ableton i have to also disable the midi port in live?

Yes, unless your midi drivers are multi-client.

mgfaudio
        Participant

ok thanks, so the suggested solution is to use something like midiyoke or midiox then? i’m assuming this is an ableton bug and not a ctrlr thing btw.

dasfaker
          Keymaster
            • ★★★

There’s no need for midiox. Once you close the midi port in Ableton, the port is free to use within Ctrlr. Select in and out ports and play with MIDI Trhu options.

It’s not an Ableton or Ctrlr bug, it’s a Windows/midi drivers issue

mgfaudio
            Participant

yeah thing is though i’d like the port still available in ableton as i don’t always want to use ctrlr to send midi out. it is kind of a bug if they can’t get it to share the device when other programs i have can do this with no problem right?

dasfaker
              Keymaster
                • ★★★

In this case yes, midiox is the solution. But it’s not a Live/Ctrlr bug, it’s a Windows/midi driver issue. If you have a midi interface with multi-client drivers you could have the ports open on both Live and Ctrlr.

mgfaudio
                Participant

it must be that max has some special thing where it can share midi with ableton even when not open in max4live then.

atom
                  Keymaster
                    • Topics: 159
                    • Replies: 2945
                    • Total: 3104
                    • ★★★★★

There is always the possibility to use the VST MIDI communication mechanism and drop all those MIDI ports alltogether. Ctrlr can send/receive MIDI data directly from the VST host just fine, the question is “can the host send/receive MIDI” from the plugin it loaded.

dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★

Correct. I just forget that some host don’t block SysEx as Live does.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 81 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr