crashed now won't open! all my effort lost!!

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr crashed now won't open! all my effort lost!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter_EP
    Participant
      • Topics: 5
      • Replies: 19
      • Total: 24

1. oh no! all my work… crashed and now I can’t open the .panel file!!
      Is there a way to recover the file? I was working on a Method and things froze, I closed everything (reboots etc.) but Ctrlr just loads nothing when I select the file.
      I do develop things in sections and this was just a section of things, but the Methods had some data I would like to recover, took me a long time to collect.

2. How do I load in a component I made myself? It is stored as mySlider.component but I can’t see how to load it back in.

3. How do I save myMethod for use in another panel?

goodweather
      Participant
        • Topics: 45
        • Replies: 550
        • Total: 595
        • ★★★

Hi Peter, no panic there are some possibilities (cross-fingers)…

• you have probably your last good save (as for all dev work, it is good to often save
        • make use of Save versioned that is saving a separate panel file with versioning info in the name. Be aware that you are staying in your current panel file
        • go to your AppData/Roaming/Ctrlr directory. This is where the Ctrlr temp files are located but also the file Ctrlr.settings that Ctrlr is using when opening so that you retrieve your last situation. This is a text file in xml so you can visualize it in Notepad. Check for starting and end tags. <uiWindowManager/> indicates the end of the Ctrlr general state and just after you will find <panel name= that indicates the start of the panel data. It goes until the end where you see </panel> (this is of course the case when you leave Ctrlr with one or more panels still open in it). As it is text data, you should be able to take it, identify the method with the issue and remove the bad line. Try not touching the tags as it could make the file unreadable. An XML editor could also help but it is not mandatory
        • Q2: I don’t know. You can load it as a resource (works with font and images, I don’t know for components). But you can also just create a uiCustomComponent and then put your code in many different methods related to it and that you activate with properties callbacks
        • Q3: to re-use, the simple method I found was to do a copy/paste between the different panels. The only thing needed is to create the second method manually.
        • Good luck with your recover…

Peter_EP
        Participant
          • Topics: 5
          • Replies: 19
          • Total: 24

Just a note of warning to everyone. Ctrlr keeps crashing (during Dev) and worse still eventhough I do regular “saves” of different types, data still vanishes.

I looked at the XML but couldn’t recover anything, so I am currently doing a “cut-and-paste” from Ctrlr/LUA Editor of all my lookup tables, LUA code that works into WordPad (I’m on XP) then at least I have some form of back up. Maybe what I’m suggesting is, don’t relay on Ctrlr to save things as expected.

Now I’m confused… “save as versioned” – how does that work? I think after a few of these version 0 is the latest and version 8 is the first one!? Isn’t that the wrong way round? I am going by the time and date of the files I generate.

Ctrlr is still great though!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Peter_EP.
          goodweather
          Participant
            • Topics: 45
            • Replies: 550
            • Total: 595
            • ★★★

Hi, this is very strange… I don’t get any crash on PC and I’m using different versions on different PC’s…

Save as versioned: at panel level you have 2 properties, Major version and Minor version.
            You set Major version for example to 0.
            Each time you will select Save versioned, a file will be saved with a name indicating the version (major.minor) with a time stamp and the minor version will be incremented.
            PAY ATTENTION that you are still in the opened panel file and not in this saved copy.
            So you need to Save your changes as usual to keep them.

In summary, Save versioned saves a copy of your current work in a time stamped file.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 74 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr