VST/AU ctrlr instances – current status?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr VST/AU ctrlr instances – current status?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Hi Atom,

Since I can’t seem to find one forum topic discussing the current state of VST/AU instance exports from ctrlr I’ll start one here.

First off, ctrlr.component (AU plugin) – is this good to go?
      I recall some discussion a while back that you were having difficulties with the ctrlr au component, I’m wondering where that’s at now. I see both the .vst and .component in the latest ctrlr nightly so I wanted to know what I was dealing with before exporting instances in both vst and au format. Should I still stay away from exporting as an AU component and simply stick with VST?

Generally speaking… what is the current state of ctrlr as a plugin, either VST or AU? I’m going to roll out the plugin version of my panel very shortly and just am curious on the progress and the current state of ctrlr as a VST/AU.. I’d like to temper user expectations within my panel’s release notes that states the current known issues so users don’t find issues by surprise.

The last I checked in with using ctrlr as a vst the name of the plugin was very ambiguous (“ctrlr instigator”, not name of panel) and DAW project files were not storing the current state of knobs/sliders/components in the panel after saving/closing/reopening the project file. If there are known issues with good work arounds please share them here so I can send that info along as well so users don’t get discouraged if they run into a figurative brick wall. I know atom you are working on redesigning the subsystem and midi settings which effects all of this.

In any event since I’m releasing a beta vst/au version of each of my panels on the next update I send out I expect to have a bit of feedback from users which I’ll pass along here if it’s something I can’t address on my own.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

msepsis
      Participant
        • ★★★

Here are my own findings with ctrlr 1535 on os 10.6.8:

Ctrlr.component is unusable
        I can’t even open a panel within ctrlr as an AU inside reaper, so I suppose it’s self-evident that ctrlr.component is not yet workable…. see screenshot.

also notice “instigator” is misspelled! “AUi: Intigator: Ctrlr-AU” should probably be “AUi: Instigator: Ctrlr-AU”

ctrlr exported plugin instance name
        any ctrlr panel exported to VST instance and then installed into your vst folder will be identified with the very ambiguous label – “VSTi: Ctrlr-VST (Instigator)”. I’m highly opinionated on it – this needs to be addressed in order to be a successful endeavor. How else do I tell these panels apart? There is no way to. If you have 3 ctrlr instances in a daw project and all three are for different synths – no matter what your panel or file name is called the plugin will ALWAYS be called “Ctrlr-VST (Instigator)”. I haven’t visited the JUCE threads for some time but I’m dying to know what Jules is thinking there if that’s something that just is what it is – it’s completely unusable as it is. Panels MUST be named something appropriate to what they are. They might as well just be titled “random name”, as that’s just as useful.

EDIT: Atom, I can’t find my last thread here on the forums regarding this.. could you provide the link to the discussion on this on Juce’s forum again please?
        other findings
        Atom if you don’t mind would you please follow up to my last question regarding using getRestoreState() over on this thread… I wasn’t having any luck implementing getRestoreState() for my purposes. Hectic’s solution worked for me to prevent scripts from running on panel load when the panel is exported as a restricted stand-alone instance, but it does not do the trick for restricted VST instances. I’d like to do it the right way (using getRestoreState)

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.
        • This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.
        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

msepsis
        Participant
          • ★★★

*bump*

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

Try the new build. Also 10.6.8 might not work at all in terms of AU, because of how Apple broke compatibility in AU versions. A special 10.6 build might be needed just for AU

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 76 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr