Ctrlr crashes on incoming MIDI

Home Forums General Programming Ctrlr crashes on incoming MIDI

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    proton
    Participant
      • Topics: 19
      • Replies: 94
      • Total: 113
      • ★★

midi_received = function(–[[ CtrlrMidiMessage –]] midi)

Byt0 = tostring(midi:getData():getByte(0))
      console(Byt0) ————————- show me the byte biatch!
      end

—————————————————————-
      Hi,
      Ctrlr seems to crash every time I try to read bytes from incoming midi massages BUT this happens only when the incoming midi is MTC Quarterframe, all the others are OK only as soon as I allow sending MTC from my DAW to Ctrlr (standalone & plugin) it crashes badly after a fraction of a second.
      My guess is that Ctrlr just can’t handle this much data per second. Am I right? Can someone please try calling this function on your system and let me know if this is a general issue with Ctrlr and not something on my machine?
      This method should be added to “Called when a panel recieves a MIDI message”.
      Since MTC sync is sending one 2 Byte message each quarterframe (4Qframes * 25 fps = 100 2Byte messages per second) it might be just too much for Ctrlr to handle. (see attached PNG for the error code)
      Since I need MTC in my panel I am just helpless here. Crash after crash is no fun at all.

Cheers!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Puppeteer
      Participant
        • Topics: 16
        • Replies: 185
        • Total: 201
        • ★★

I don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue. I’ve been able to send 5 x 70 Byte messages a second without any problem (and Ctrlr receive them back) and that’s after throttling. I’ve had Ctrlr send much faster messages that have crashed synths, without Ctrlr batting an eyelid.

I think it’s more likely something deeper with Ctrlr or Juce handling the particular MIDI messages.

The Puppeteer
        http://godlike.com.au

proton
        Participant
          • Topics: 19
          • Replies: 94
          • Total: 113
          • ★★

Hmmm, interesting point Puppeteer!
          Is there a way we can test it or dig in some documentation to get to the bottom of it? My initial search didn’t gave me much back about this issue.
          Cheers!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
        There is currently 0 users and 40 guests online
        No users are currently active
        Forum Statistics
        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
        Ctrlr