Cubase 9.5 and sending Sysex

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Cubase 9.5 and sending Sysex

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    eggi
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 9
      • Total: 11

Hello everyone!

I have some problems with a panel that I’ve made, and I suspect the problem to be Cubase. All the CC sliders in my panel work fine, but the ones that are sending Sysex are not working. I can see in the MIDI Monitor that the correct messages are being sent from the panel. But it seems these are not forwarded by Cubase to the device. I have tried unchecking the Sysex filter on the MIDI -> MIDI Filter setting, but this didn’t help. Is this something that Steinberg is doing to protect their own Device Panels option in Cubase Pro? Is there any way around this?

Thanks!
      Eirik

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

I know that. It seems like in fact Cubase cannot route sysex to another track (I guess you tried this). It will only send program changes and notes – I didn’t knew that CC are working too. I haven’t found a workaround for this other than configuring the Ctrlr plugin differently – I mean reserving the midi-out port to Ctrlr and letting Cubase access the Synth by the according Ctrlr thru-setting: “plugin host to output device”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Possemo.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Possemo.
        eggi
        Participant

I tried the “plugin host to output device” option, and that works, however, then I think I won’t be able to use the patch files with my device. I would then have to add all the patches for selection in the panel, which I’m not to keen doing. Maybe if there was a way to automatically import them from the Cubase patch file to Ctrlr.

Possemo
          Participant
            • ★★★

AFAIK the Ctrlr plugin will pass-thorugh everything including sysex. Is there a patch file manager within Cubase? I wasn’t aware of that.

eggi
            Participant

I think that if I deactivate the device output in Cubase I won’t be able to assign the patches that I have set up in a patch file (txt). Then I will be stuck to selecting patches from the Ctrlr panel which I haven’t set up, and I don’t really feel like spending a lot of work doing that.

I’m referring to what I have set up and imported into MIDI Device Manager.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by eggi.
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Possemo
              Participant
                • ★★★

I’ve looked at the MIDI Device Manager. It seems that indeed you won’t be able to use it when you dedicate the midi port to Ctrlr. Handling sysexdumps in Ctrlr is not that hard but you will have to code short Lua scripts.

eggi
                Participant

Such a shame that Sysex is not possible from plugins in Cubase. I just upgraded to Cubase Elements from AI, and I’ve wanted a proper way to control hardware synths from a DAW, so it was such a happy day when I found Ctrlr. Now I’m kind of disappointed. One option would be to upgrade to Cubase Pro and build a device panel in Cubase, but the Pro upgrade wouldn’t be worth it to me for this feature only. I’m thinking about switching to Reaper, I think I’ve read that this is the best DAW for use with Ctrlr, and that Sysex is supported from VST plugins there. Is this correct?

Possemo
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

yes it is my opinion that Reaper works best for Ctrlr. It is the only DAW I know where Ctrlr features “output to plugin host” and “input from plugin host to comparator” and thru setting “plugin host to plugin host” do work as expected. One bug of Ctrlr will manifest though: All midi messages will be sent twice except messages sent by Lua scripts. Most synths won’t have a problem with that but it shows that Ctrlr would desperately need a good debug job.

You can try out Reaper as long as you want. It is fully functional in “demo mode” – only difference to the full version is a nag screen at startup. The price is very low for a full featured DAW as it is.

eggi
                    Participant

Thanks Possemo, I’ll check it out.

Do you happen to know if there is any way to use MIDI learn with a Ctrlr panel?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 62 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr