DSI Tempest librarian (editor)

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros DSI Tempest librarian (editor)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    niels@dettenbach.de
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 6
      • Total: 8

Anyone here who is interested in working together with me on a librarian (and possibly editor) for the dave Smith (DSI) Tempest?

I know that the TEMPEST mainly understand sysex – so a “live remote tweaking” is just possible very limited onto a subset of parameters. But a working librarian would be helpful (even if to click by hand onto the machine for some received sysex “files”) because of the memory limitations for the “instruments” (which many saves in “beats” or “projects” which is not so limited).

((d^b))
      dettenbach
      music fab

goodweather
      Participant
        • Topics: 45
        • Replies: 550
        • Total: 595
        • ★★★

We could definitively share! I’ll do that as well for my DSI Pro2 panel…
        Probably in just a few weeks (2?) from now.
        I want first to complete read/write dumps and actual manipulation of individual parameters.

niels@dettenbach.de
        Participant

Hi goodweather,

this sounds nice. For the Pro2 and my Evolver i still have the editor from Soundtower (which has a helpful library, but still some bugs) – but havin it in ctrlr would be cool.

yesterday i’ve started a thread in DSI Forum (Tempest):
          http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7545

to see if there is further interest and to “collect” any known MIDI implementation details (which seems not officially documented yet). Within the forum exist some of the details and i have collected a bit to from different sources.

Based on this sources someone developed the “sound randomizer” for Tempest (open source too):
          http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,165.0.html

from my part – i’m open to open source or a paid product (and share to income) as a result, but assume that open source makes much more sense here because of the “incomplete” MIDI stack of the Tempest.

many thanks so far – pls feel free to comntact me.

Niels.

((d^b))
          dettenbach
          music fab

arkation
          Participant
            • Topics: 0
            • Replies: 2
            • Total: 2

hey niels! Any progress with this? I’d like to help out in any way I can, let’s make this happen.

Here’s some very limited CC info for the Tempest:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/bar/dave-smith-instruments/tempest/forums/t.602477,midi-cc.html
            http://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view/8334

And there seems to be a new OS update in the works:
            http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,414.0.html

niels@dettenbach.de
            Participant

hiho arkation,

this sounds nice – or at least – let us hope a bit.

The major problem yet to even develop a basic librarian is even the lack of patch management / transfer sysex or the weird implementation of their handling. I think it makes sense to await the next beta / release publication of the firmware to plan, how to get into the project. As soon as the device gives us enough MIDI functionality i’m here to invest some days of productive work.

The Tempest is such a nice machine, but hardly lacks software functionality for studio application as for live usage. I do believe that something is further developing there when i see it…ß)

((d^b))
              dettenbach
              music fab

goodweather
              Participant
                • Topics: 45
                • Replies: 550
                • Total: 595
                • ★★★

FYI, I am now finishing the librarian for the Pro 2. It is including bank (load from disk, from Pro 2, Save to disk) and program management (load/save to disk, move, swap, copy, load to Pro 2).
                Now I need to do some testing and implement the main Load and Save buttons functionality (this is on top of the librarian).
                Then I’ll release the panel as 0.9 version.
                I will also document everything in the Step by Step guide 2.0.
                Here is a screenshot as appetizer…

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                niels@dettenbach.de
                Participant

Seems nice so far. Personally i would switch from soundtower to this program if the sequencer is implemented properl. The soundtower still has ugly bugs here – i.e. make it impossible to define multiple tie regions. But i would use it as a patch loader VST if it is ready so far. ST still has no VST variant available for the Pro2 ß)

((d^b))
                  dettenbach
                  music fab

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 74 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr