embedding or "wrapping" fonts into panel

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr embedding or "wrapping" fonts into panel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

Atom, I know you’ve mentioned this before but is there any hope/possibility that we may be able to "wrap" fonts into a panel? Some licensed fonts may not be re-distributed legitimately unless they’re wrapped in an application (so the user can’t extract the ttf/otf etc).

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

It’s not implemented but it’s possible i thought about it a lot, but i was afraid of legal stuff i might face if i do a mechanism like that. It’s not hard to do but i need to be sure i can do it.

msepsis
        Participant
          • ★★★

Just checking in on this.. I noticed dasfaker’s access panel seems to address this at least on the OS X side… I have no idea how as I see nothing font or ttf related in his script ran before modulators are created, but when you open his panel in ctrlr on osx you’re prompted with a message that it would like to use a supplied font, ok or cancel. On the PC it seems to ignore the fonts.

I did a search on the forums and this is the most recent thing I can find on the topic.. what’s the current status on this? possible yet to not require users to install necessary fonts?

If not I’ll just continue to offer the free ttfs with my panel but it would be great if fonts could be imported, say as resource files. Then its up to the end user (NOT YOU) to not break the law in terms of including font files.

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

I did nothing in that matter.

Although using Lua you could potentialy provide custom fonts, by embedding them as resources and giving the to the OS on panel load, in the form of files, if the OS is clever enough it will cache the font and use it.

But no, nothing has happened in Ctrlr yet. Some codebase has been prepared to make that work but it never got finished.

msepsis
            Participant
              • ★★★

sounds fine to me, not a major priority at all, just curious if anything had changed. thanks for the quick follow up!

lfo2vco
              Participant
                • Topics: 26
                • Replies: 162
                • Total: 188
                • ★★

Just an idea to throw into the melting pot…

If the legality of embedding fonts is a worry, would it be practical for Ctrlr to make use of online font resources such as Google Fonts (as an alternative)?

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
                https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

msepsis
                Participant
                  • ★★★

I thought about that too but it really only would work if the machine is online which is not always the case..

I frankly don’t see any reason for atom to be concerned about the legality of anything regarding this topic… there are bazillions of free ttfs on the internet and even if we did embed a licensed font into the application as long as the ttf is not *extractable* there is no potential for foul play.

lfo2vco
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 26
                    • Replies: 162
                    • Total: 188
                    • ★★

ttf is not *extractable*

Just like Adobe use in their pdf format. As I see it as long as the originator meets the requirements of any license agreement that may be in place the resulting app / panel is no different to a printed page.

That said I understand Atom’s concerns.

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
                    https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 50 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr