EMU E4 functionality demo

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros EMU E4 functionality demo

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    drsteve
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 33
      • Total: 36

Here’s part two. I hope its helpful.
      Steve

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Hecticcc
      Participant
        • Topics: 25
        • Replies: 160
        • Total: 185
        • ★★

Thanks for your time and effort Steve!

Some of those errors come from my scripts (setValue in midiReceived for innstance), i will look into this further to track down the error. I probably forgot to add a safety somewhere, and Lua does not like empty variables.
        The identity request stuff has only been added recently and is still being worked on by Atom afaik, and is not yet fully operational, hence the errors Ctrlr throws.

I hope that once the panel is stable and finished it will be of use for you.

In the mean time – keep rockin’ that Emu!

Cheerz,

Hec

Hecticcc
        Participant
          • ★★

Just downloaded & installed the latest rev for xp (1500) and i get the same errors, in 1449 it works as it should.

midiquestions
          Participant
            • Topics: 0
            • Replies: 12
            • Total: 12

This ever gonna make it beyond v2 beta?

Hecticcc
            Participant
              • ★★

Hi midiquestions,

I have just started again because i finally have time again.
              Will be a while for the next ‘release’ but at least its not dead anymore 😉

drsteve
              Participant

Welcome back! I have done nothing with ctrlr in ages, but I did play around with my sampler this summer. Assuming I can get back into using ctrlr, I’d be interested in testing stuff if it will help.

I don’t know if you tried anything with the jazz-soft plugin but back when I looked into it, I wondered if it could be used to make a web-based ctrlr panel.

I don’t have the ability to program much in ctrlr, so I couldn’t do it.

Hecticcc
                Participant
                  • ★★

Thanks drsteve!

Yeah i also was thinking about the midi possibilities of html5 and from the docs i have read it is certainly viable, but i know next to no javascript and that will be the way to do it (i think) . Maybe use node.js as framework or something like that…
                  But that will be a whole other can of worms than Ctrlr!

tiger001
                  Participant
                    • Replies: 2
                    • Total: 2

good job – i can help you test it, i have an E4(synt)Ultra & en E4
                    live around antwerp, belgium

drsteve
                    Participant

Hi. I don’t know if anyone has done anything more with Ctrlr and E4 samplers. I haven’t, but over the past few months I have been getting back into the samplers. Today I added some tests of my Jazz-Soft test page–sending simple sysex commands to an E4X, watching the results come back to my web-browser, and sending some basic data change sysex commands from the web-page.

If anyone has bridged the Ctrlr/Jazz-Soft connection, I’d be interested in trying to test the functionality with an E4X.

Steve

tiger001
                      Participant
                        • Replies: 2
                        • Total: 2

please refer to https://www.facebook.com/groups/EMUEIVMachines/ for a list of sysex commands

i’ll stick to emulator x3 to create patches offline

why not use the web page alone and dump ctrl ?

like https://andrewhollis.github.io/github.io/A3000Remote.html
                        (ok that’s for yamaha a-serie)

jo

drsteve
                        Participant

You raise some good points here.

>> please refer to https://www.facebook.com/groups/EMUEIVMachines/ for a list of sysex commands

As for facebook, I don’t have an account and don’t want one. I have been to a few sites that have been open; however, the one you linked does not appear to be open to faceless people like me. Also, I’d be very disappointed to get a facebook account, only to find out they don’t have any more sysex documentation than I already have. If you are a member, can you tell me what the latest EIV sysex document they have?

>> i’ll stick to emulator x3 to create patches offline

I understand completely; if it works, why change?

>> why not use the web page alone and dump ctrl ?

Well, I haven’t used controller much and when I did it was a while ago–for a panel that let me turn 32 arp patterns on and off and mix their relative volume in a Proteus 2000 class box. It was infinitely easier than trying to do the same thing from the front panel.

I don’t know a lot of javascript, so I would have to invest a lot of time to learn how to create a graphical user interface that would work with the Jazz-Soft plug-in. So if someone had done something usable with Ctrlr in this regard, it might save me from having to climb a steep, curvey mountain.

>> like https://andrewhollis.github.io/github.io/A3000Remote.html
                          (ok that’s for yamaha a-serie)

That site looks interesting–very pretty colors, too!!! Unfortunately, it does not appear to use the Jazz-Soft plug-in and does not appear to work with FF in Win 10. For example, it doesn’t even see my midi interfaces.

The site did ask permission to access my midi devices under chrome, and then once I refreshed the page, it listed my interface ports. The buttons do indeed send out sysex commands, so there’s potential there. I will have to check out the github repository to see what I can discover about the programming language used.

Thanks for the lead.

Steve

OK–I see that the developer uses the Web Audio API and the Web MIDI API. I think I looked at and possibly downloaded some early documents a few years ago. I remember thinking it had potential, but I believe I saw some drawbacks for what I wanted to do. Maybe I should take a look at the updates. If it has as potential for use under different systems, that would be nice.

Chrome has written off XP and one of my dreams has been to make a tool to eliminate the need to fill landfills with such dinosaurs.

Steve

Update: Well, that Yamaha app does send out sysex using chrome on XP, but (1) some midi ports are enumerated in the list multiple times and it took more time than I would have expected it to for the app to actually become functional. In fact, it didn’t seem to do anything until I booted and closed down midi-ox, but that might have been coincidental. Still, one the Jazz-Soft plug-in has the right midi ports selected, midi I/O is right there–no delay.

So, there’s still potential, but it would seem to be the API has more work needed. As of now, I can see the data my gear sends to my webpage. I have no idea if that can be done with the Web MIDI API. If it can, it might be worth the time spent learning it.

In any case, having tried to wrap my head around the programming needed to do what I want with Ctrlr, so far as I can see, it is still not a tool for website based midi interactions.

Steve

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by drsteve.
                          tech22
                          Participant
                            • Topics: 1
                            • Replies: 7
                            • Total: 8

Hi DrSteve,

You can find the EOS sysex list here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=212

cheers

rawl747
                            Participant
                              • Replies: 1
                              • Total: 1

Hecticcc,

Is your E4 CTRLR project dead? If you no longer have time, are you willing to hand it off to someone else?

I am a programmer by trade and have an e6400 Classic to use for testing. Please let me know and I will get you my email offline.

Rawl

(rawl747)

alien_brain
                              Participant
                                • Replies: 4
                                • Total: 5

i love this idea but im heartbroken that it wont display correctly in my DAWs… 2 of my favorites are MuLab:

MuLab

and Making Waves:

Making Waves

both of which usually dont have problems with displaying VST plugins.

can anyone offer any suggestions? i totally want to use my E4XT in context in my DAW!

thanks.

Possemo
                                Participant
                                  • Topics: 14
                                  • Replies: 638
                                  • Total: 652
                                  • ★★★

What version of Ctrlr are you using? The newest build is buggy, try this one:
                                  http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.4.11.exe

Is the standalone version working? First try this before experimenting with the plugin.

alien_brain
                                  Participant
                                    • Replies: 4
                                    • Total: 5

thank you! i am on the newest one. standalone works fine. oh boy i hope this works!

jonathanpontier
                                    Participant
                                      • Replies: 1
                                      • Total: 1

Hi Hecticcc, king of the CCs !

I’m using a lot my old EMU these days, and will give your fine panel a try, even though I have to say I’m totally with the basic control of CCs I already gather in Live.

Thanks anyway for sharing this great work.

Cheers,
                                      Jon

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
                                    • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                    There is currently 0 users and 68 guests online
                                    No users are currently active
                                    Forum Statistics
                                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                    Ctrlr