Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Error Installing on Windows 8. Perhaps a Permissions Issue?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Music Maven 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Music Maven
    Participant

Has anyone else tried installing Ctrlr on a Windows 8 machine? I received an “Error opening file for writing” message when attempting to do so. (See attached screenshot of the error dialog.)

I was able to install the program in another directory on my C drive so it’s not a big deal. But I have heard that Microsoft has really locked down the permissions settings on the Programs folder in Windows 8 so perhaps the Ctrlr installer needs to be updated to deal with this greater level of security?

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    atom
    atom

The program files directory is a suggestion, you can always change your destination during the installation process, i think NSIS makes this decision, but i’ll check if that can be changed.

BUT

VST plugins almost always go to C:\Program Files and that’s something that someone did when Windows XP was still the top OS.

Also the installer is done so that you DON’T need admin privileges to run it, some installers are done that you can’t execute them without admin permissions. This is a normal binary that can be, you can always “run it as administrator” when installing if you want to write to restricted directories.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by atom atom.

Music Maven
    Participant

Thanks atom. Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing Ctrlr on a Windows 8 machine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.