export restricted instance + zoom panel problem

Home Forums General Programming export restricted instance + zoom panel problem

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mr.ToR
    Participant
      • Topics: 7
      • Replies: 51
      • Total: 58
      • β˜…

Hi,

I’m using MAC Ctrlr v5.3.163 and Ctrlr v5.3.198.

When I export a restricted vst instance, I can not get a properly sized window.
      since “uiPanelMenuBarHideOnExport” does not work at all, I can set the menu bar to be hidden at ‘onPanelLoad’ with
      panel:getPanelEditor():setPropertyInt("uiPanelMenuBarVisible",0 )
      which works fine.

v5.3.163 leaves a window space below and v5.3.198 crops the panel.
      however, on v5.3.198 if you add 24 to the height, the panel and window size becomes correct after it crops it. πŸ™‚

The problem is when you need to change the zoom of the panel, more specifically the zoom of a restricted vst, you end up with different size panel and window, which either results in small panel in large window having spaces around the panel or you get large panel with scrollbars in small window.

This is very frustrating. if your “uiPanelZoom” is 1 then there is no problem. There has to be a way to have a proper panel size at different zoom settings.
      unfortunately setting the “uiPanelWidth” and “uiPanelHeight” does nothing.

I don’t know if this is working on windows.
      Please atom fix this.
      PLEASE….

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Mr.ToR.
      human fly
      Participant
        • Topics: 124
        • Replies: 1070
        • Total: 1194
        • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

it hasn’t occured to me to use zoom. you want it as
        an active feature? why not just stick to x1? get your
        panel finished at that size and be done.
        what are the benefits?
        that’s just my thinking.
        i’ve found panels with an active zoom setting to be
        awkward, i can’t see the benefit (i’m not even very
        sympathetic to user requirements. they dig it or they
        don’t. my way or the highway πŸ™‚ )
        (not that i’ve managed to finish a sodding panel yet..)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by human fly.
        Mr.ToR
        Participant
          • β˜…

my screen is three 1680×1050 displays.
          whatever I design on my screen, without a proper zoom feature would look like an interface from the last century on a 21.5-inch iMac 4K display or something similar.
          Believe me, regular stuff looks disturbingly small on modern hi-res displays.

The problem is you can not set your panel size to be as a percent of the current display size, which you normally want. You set it’s dimensions in pixels and pixels have nothing to do with size.

Now, consider two screens, both having the same size, but the second one has twice the resolution of the first one. Your panel will look twice as small on the second display.

Since magnifying pixels usually looks like shit, a very common method in UI design is starting with the highest resolution and decreasing the size by adapting to the current screen. In UI design, this ‘zoom’ feature is mainly to decrease the original size to fit the current screen, not the other way around, so you can still get a clear and nice looking interface when it’s on a big high-res screen or on a low-res small screen.

Basically, it is very very difficult to say programmatically, ‘I am designing my panel to be viewed from 1 meter and it should be in 25cm wide and 15 cm high’. Obviously, you can not dictate the screen specs for your panel, so you implement a ‘zoom’ feature. Normally, your program gets the screen size, the screen resolution, and use an adaptive algorithm to present the user the most appropriate size. If it’s too small, it will be difficult to use and see, if it’s too big, it will be invasive and childish basically unprofessional.

So the simplest method is to let the user set the size with a couple of simple clicks and keep that zoom setting either as stateData or something else.

human fly
          Participant
            • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

so would you suggest, if i’m working on a laptop, that
            i should aim to draft at a higher resolution when the
            time comes – and use the kind of zoom feature you’re
            talking about? i’m on 1366×768..

Mr.ToR
            Participant
              • β˜…

Currently, as far as I can tell this is a missing feature of Ctrlr when your end product is a restricted instance. If your end product is an instance or just panel etc, I would definitely recommend considering higher resolution screens.
              resolution comparison

try to imagine by considering this image how small your panel would look when you design it on your laptop and how someone with a 4k display would see it.

If you design your panel to be full screen on your laptop, it will look almost like 9 times smaller on a 4k display. Now imagine properly filling that 4k display with your awesome panel πŸ™‚

That’s why you need a zoom feature πŸ™‚
              you design for 4k and use the zoom for your 1366×768.

Mr.ToR
              Participant
                • β˜…

ok, I got restricted vst instance to work with zoom in correct host window size.

Currently, Ctrlr does not provide an interface to modify host window size in a restricted instance. This is very sad. I hope Atom would provide a method at some point. If you need to set host window size, you can only do this before exporting. After export, host window stays fixed to what was initially set.
                Here is how it works with any zoom setting.

Let’s consider you have a panel with a size of 1910 x 1330 and you want it to be at 0.7 zoom, which makes 1337 x 931, so set your “uiPanelCanvasRectangle” to “0 0 1337 931” by entering the values manually and insert the following line to your ‘onPanelLoad’ method.

panel:getCanvas():setSize(1910,1330)
                panel:getPanelEditor():setProperty("uiPanelZoom",0.7,true)

This will make your panel programmatically cropped but have it viewed at the correct size. The issue here is that host window size is set by the panel:getCanvas():getWidth() and getHeight() parameters, which does not change with zoom. That’s why we’re using a cropped panel. However, panel:getCanvas():getParentWidth() and getParentHeight() gives a size dependent on the zoom setting, and host window size should use those, even when if you still don’t have the ability to change the host window size on runtime.

Also, Ctrlr v5.3.198 on Mac, crops the window with 24 pixels from the bottom when you export a restricted instance, so to compensate that, set your “uiPanelCanvasRectangle” to “0 0 1337 955” adding 24 pixels to height.

Finally, if you want the menu bar to be hidden add the following as well.
                Just don’t forget to implement a way to have the menu bar appear when you need it πŸ™‚

Hope this helps someone.

human fly
                Participant
                  • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

great info for the zoom, thanks for reporting back
                  with your findings. it would indeed be nice to be
                  able to offer at least a couple of different sizes
                  once the thing is loaded. i guess ‘the culture’ is
                  to distribute as a bpanelz so user can draft for their
                  particular platform. but from creator’s point of view,
                  it is preferable to distribute restricted instances if
                  you want to preserve your mystique πŸ™‚ (work)

menu hide is nice.
                  have to think of a nice way to present it for users.
                  (after using regular VST plugins, it looks a bit
                  incongruous to have all that on top without having
                  the option to hide it, imo)

in the wider world, your average VST user is going to
                  be quite nonplussed once they start digging to see
                  how to create a panel, when they encounter Lua. and there
                  is still some misunderstanding out there re: how to
                  use a bpanelz file – something Goodweather might like
                  to consider for the manual (ie: the quickstart section!)

Possemo
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 14
                    • Replies: 638
                    • Total: 652
                    • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Yea great findings TonguΓ§ πŸ™‚

@humanfly: because you are allowed to sell panels one could steal your code and make money with it. I don’t see why Roman allows to sell panels, really: you will sell the Juce libraries, Ctrlr and in case of vst you will even sell Steinberg proprietary code AND you will sell your humble little panel. There are people that got badly cheated and won’t ever share a line of code again. That’s why some people will publish nothing else than restricted instances and I can understand them very well.

human fly
                    Participant
                      • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

i quite agree. the ‘free’ culture out there has changed
                      a lot in recent years, with some users taking a lot for
                      granted. i’ve only recently become aware of commercial
                      Ctrlr instances. then, you have the issue of how to
                      distrubute, protect and sell your work, same as it ever
                      was with plugins..
                      interesting, what you say about the fact that it involves
                      trading on the JUCE license, even if Roman is agreeable to
                      people selling their creations. not actually an aim of mine,
                      in any case, as i simply want to master enough to produce
                      something presentable that works well enough to be useful.
                      (and shall of course credit help and sources)(should i ever
                      finish the d*** thing)

human fly
                      Participant
                        • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

i do however think it would be good to have a ‘Utility’
                        thread for establishing some basic practice for the
                        minimum panel requirements for getting single preset
                        data feedback-updating, so the panel keeps up with
                        what’s on the device. i know this is all available to
                        view with midireceived methods, but lots of different
                        approaches out there – i’m looking at this now: it’s the
                        first question i got back when i showed a first version
                        (other than ‘will it work on mac?’ haha). ironically,
                        i now see it is almost the first thing i should have
                        started with, since you have to establish a parameter
                        map with names right at the beginning, if you want to
                        save reworking it all later on, eh.(and it is what i do,
                        in some form, when i make my list for sorting out the
                        sysex messages. if i’d known, i would just have done this
                        in a lua document, rather than a scrappy notepad file,
                        because it is essentially what i’m doing again now)
                        (oops offtopic)

rio
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 3
                          • Replies: 7
                          • Total: 10
                          • β˜…

sorry, i am not familar with Lua scripting, but how/where do you have to add this:

.. so that my restricted instance will hide menu on start?

Greetings.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by rio.
                          • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by rio.
                          human fly
                          Participant
                            • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

try it with an on/off button, with the method ‘called when
                            value changes’. setPropertyInt 0 for off, setPropertyInt 1 for on.

edit: sorry: you need to include that in a ‘called when panel has
                            finished loading’ method. but as MrTor says, have a button somewhere
                            to show it again once it’s loaded.
                            – – – – – – – –
                            okaaay, so i have a nice compact layout going on now, minimalist,
                            panel action,.. and i have to consider what it’s going to look like
                            on higher res / bigger monitors – because i went nuts with some small
                            stuff haha.. i could resize it all, but it’s just the workspace size
                            i’m working with on this monitor (13xx x 7xx), and i tend to mash things
                            down every now and then to try to keep size under control πŸ™‚ …

what do you suggest doing? having a few sizes with buttons to select them?
                            i have to check what you wrote, to see what code, and how to trigger it.

human fly
                            Participant
                              • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

waaaah πŸ˜€ zoom is awesome !! i just tried it out
                              with -/+/reset buttons and three zoom methods.
                              everybody needs this.

zoom zero (reset):

zoomZero=function()

-- This stops issues during panel bootup
                              	if panel:getRestoreState() or panel:getProgramState() then return end

panel:getPanelEditor():setPropertyInt("uiPanelZoom", 1)

--	panel:getModulator("GUI_Style"):setValue(0,false,false)

end

zoom in:

zoomIn=function()

local actual=panel:getPanelEditor():getProperty("uiPanelZoom")

local val=actual+0.0999999999999999778

panel:getPanelEditor():setProperty("uiPanelZoom", val,false)
                              end

zoom out:

zoomOut=function()

local actual=panel:getPanelEditor():getProperty("uiPanelZoom")

local val=actual-0.0999999999999999778

panel:getPanelEditor():setProperty("uiPanelZoom", val,false)
                              end

this is of course cribbed from an existing panel, by Possemo, i believe.
                              i’ve linked them via ‘when mouse is down’. very happy with this. took
                              a few minutes to make a few buttons and copy these methods in. i’m using
                              your scaling values as i found them. *thank you-u*

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by human fly. Reason: code tags
                              goodweather
                              Participant
                                • Topics: 45
                                • Replies: 550
                                • Total: 595
                                • β˜…β˜…β˜…

FYI, I have solved the zoom and window size issue for restricted instance…

You need to create a uiSlider with for example 50 to 150 as value range; interval set to 5.
                                Set it as IncDec type.
                                If needed add an extra uiLabel to display the zoom factor with a % sign.

Create a simple luaValueOnChange method and attach it to the uiSlider as:

Zoom_OnChange = function(--[[ CtrlrModulator --]] mod, --[[ number --]] value, --[[ number --]] source)

-- No action while loading a program or if the panel is in bootstrap or program states
                                	if bLoadingProgram or not isPanelReady() then
                                		return
                                	end	

panel:getPanelEditor():setProperty("uiPanelZoom", value/100, false) 
                                	txtZoomValue:getComponent():setPropertyString ("uiLabelText", tostring(value).."%")

end

I have a PanelLoaded method that is starting a timer at its end in order to secure that all modulators are well initialized.
                                The launched timer is launching a “Welcome” InfoWindow but also sets the zoom back.

-- Load panel timer
                                elseif timerId == 2 then
                                	timer:stopTimer(timerId)
                                	panel:getPanelEditor():setProperty("uiPanelZoom", modZoom:getModulatorValue()/100, false) 
                                	txtZoomValue:getComponent():setPropertyString ("uiLabelText", tostring(modZoom:getModulatorValue()).."%")
                                	utils.infoWindow("Welcome!", "Behringer Model D Ctrlr panel v"..panel:getProperty("panelVersionMajor").."."..panel:getProperty("panelVersionMinor"))
                                	bPanelLoaded = true
                                	bLoadingProgram = false

This is working because the Zoom modulator value is kept at panel close in the temprorary CtrlSettings file.
                                This is solving the zoom issue (without this, the restricted instance is always starting at zoom=1)

About the window itself, the user needs only to resize it the first time after having done the zoom.
                                At next start of the Ctrlr restricted instance the new window size is taken.

This is for 5.3.201 on PC.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                              There is currently 0 users and 45 guests online
                              No users are currently active
                              Forum Statistics
                              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                              Ctrlr