followed the how-to video but i got problems

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr followed the how-to video but i got problems

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    atom
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 159
      • Replies: 2945
      • Total: 3104
      • ★★★★★

There is a special token for MIDI channels

yy - insert MIDI channel
      0y - fy insert MIDI channel as 4 last bits in this byte (0-f you can set to whatever you want)

So i guess my formula would be

f0 2f 1y 00 xx f7

But i don’t know where the parameter number is maybe the 4th byte ?

evilprime
      Participant
        • Topics: 1
        • Replies: 13
        • Total: 14

Well, you were right. For parameter changes i guess it need a full program write, which is lots more work to set up. I cant even think of where to start 🙂

I got an editor for my Crumar BIT01 which also needs full program dumps, and this tool does excactly(like most editors for old synths i guess) that what i need for my Elka.

I guess i need to test it with 1 program sysex dump, study the output and somehow program the panel to ‘load’ presets and automatically set all the slider values in the panel… Do my editing and do a manually write dump or automatically write dump to the synth.

Maybe i should study some other panels.

thanks.

L

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

This can be done automaticly and this is how the BIT01 program does it (i actualy studied the source code for this program to find out how you can program synths that don’t have the ability to receive realtime value changes only to entire programs).
          The way it’s done:
          1) initialize your program data as a piece of memory (either get it from the device or just set some defaults, or load it from disk), since a program is at max a feq kilobytes keeping it in memory is not a problem
          2) maintain a list that links a modulator with a position in the memory and if needed an operation to modify that piece of memory
          3) start a timer that ticks at about 50ms
          4) track changes of your modulators, at each timer tick check if something changed (either by comparing the memory block or by using some sort of other mechanism)
          5) if there is a change send the program, reset the change-keeping-data

loop over

It’s very simple it’s just a different approach to the subject.

evilprime
          Participant

Hey,

it doesn’t sound very ‘simple’ at this point for me 🙂 I do understand what you’re saying though. Is there a ctrlr panel which uses this approach so i can study that and maybe copy the technique?

I know this approach is the best way. The bit01 editor works great. The good part is that you can load the presets and the modulator values are visible for that specific preset. My panel now clearly doesn’t have that option which makes it harder to know what your doing.

L

thom
            Participant
              • Topics: 0
              • Replies: 3
              • Total: 3

Hey, I am curious about how this ER33 project went?

I have an ER44 (the ER33’s big brother) and I have been able to get control of it’s buttons and sliders via sysex.

However, I’ve hit a brick wall trying to get it to do a Sound Parameter Dump from the synth to the computer.

T

evilprime
              Participant

Hey,

No it was too complicated for me 😉 i’ve managed to make a ctrlr panel and simulate all the buttons correctly though which saved me a lot of time to program it but i never figured out how to do a full program dump from/to synth 🙁 I gave up pretty quickly though.. since the panel worked ‘ok’

I’m not even sure if its possible on these machines. I got a em22 aswell and the editor that’s available for that one seems to support programs dumps.

Maybe its good to compare manuals or something.

thom
                Participant

Yes seems we arrived at about the same place.

I also managed to get control of of the front panel button and sliders via Ctrlr, which is a very positive step. But, I also got stuck at doing program dumps from the synth to the computer so the idea of a full voice editor seems like a no go.

I also happen to have an EK22 and I have the same editor you do probably – from jeanjeanmusic done in max? I find it really useful.

I have the english 22 manual, and a german 44 manual which I had to put through google translate and the results arent pretty! I also have the original schematics on paper for the EK22 and ER44.

Looking at the sysex spec for both the EK22 and the ER44 they both follow very similar design. I can successfully trigger the ‘Sound parameter dump-request’ in the EK22 from Ctrlr, but the ER44 doesn’t respond. The only difference between the command for ‘Sound parameter dump-request’ for the two synths appears to be one value which is the synth id value.

For the EK/EM22 the ‘Sound parameter dump-request’ is 0f0 02f 050 006 000 0f7 .
                  For the ER/EK/EM44 I believe it should be 0f0 02f 050 009 000 0f7 , but it doesn’t work.

However the ER/EK/EM44 also has an extra dump request that the 22 doesn’t have called ‘Function parameter dump-request’ and this does work – 0f0 02f 030 009 000 0f7.

So, I’m thinking there is either something broken in the OS for the 44 thats stops the ‘Sound parameter dump-request’ from working or the ER/EK/EM44 sysex spec documentation is wrong somehow.

I’m wondering is it really possible the synth OS could be broken in this way? Seems like voice dumping is such a basic function it would surely be tested and used in development?

Maybe if someone more experienced could look at the sysex spec they might detect the problem and possible solution, but I can’t see it.

Not sure what else to try 🙁

thom
                  Participant

Slight update…

I think I have the ‘Sound parameter dump request’ working now.
                    The thing is you have to specify a User sound number (64-95) as part of the request. Previously I was leaving it as 0, which is not a User sound.

So this Sound parameter request appears to work to get the parameters for the first internal user sound:
                    0f0 02f 050 009 040 0f7

From reading through the earlier messages in this thread I am guessing the way to use the sound parameter data returned from the hardware would be to somehow process it into an array in Ctrlr, build a UI to modify the parameters in the array, along with some function that recognises when a parameter has changed which then sends the entire array back to the hardware as a sysex dump to write the changed sound into a spare User sound number.

Is this kind of thing possible in Ctrlr now and if so how complicated is it to set up?

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 48 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr