Going all in with CTRLR

Home Forums Platform Specific Windows Going all in with CTRLR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kortizol
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 8
      • Total: 10

Hi Folks,
      I used CTRLR for my AlphaJuno on my old setup – a few different systems between XP/Win7 32 and 64 bit over the years.

Recently, I upgraded – hadn’t been too focused, and now am back at it. I’m running windows 10 on my system at the moment – not a big fan, but I’m an Ableton user and it’s forced me in. It’s been rough having to convert 32bit plugs to 64 with jbridge and stuff like that – but I’m getting there.

I’ve got 2 challenges with CTRLR – it’s installed – seems to only run in standalone mode – no vst plugin appearing in Ableton.

1) My AlphaJuno doesn’t send signal back to CTRLR – it used to. It responds to midi going into the synth, but it’s a pain in the ass to get a dump of current state from the device. Any hints ?

2) I’ve got a bunch of other synths and many have CTRLR Panels available. I’m hoping to have a fully integrated CTRLR setup for each of them simultaneously across multiple channels – all running at the same time. Are there any problems in theory with this concept for a setup ?

Thanks y’all. Used to love this for control & automation – want that back and want to expand !

K.

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

What version of Ctrlr are you using? Is it the recommended “stable” version? I tested Ctrlr on Ableton v10 Windows 10 and for me it all seems to work as expected.

When you say “several synths integrated across multiple channels” do you mean you are daisy-chanining the synths by using midi thru socket? If you are doing this, the synths won’t be able to send data back to Ctrlr. Synths don’t send their own data out to midi thru. Apart from that it should work as expected. Many of the Ctrlr panels floating around aren’t bidirectional anyway. For true bidirectional midi connection each synth must be connected to a midi in and out port of a PC-interface.

kortizol
        Participant

I’m using 5.4.52. Tried to install the most recent stable 5.3.2 and I couldn’t get it to install !

I have it all working for one instance now -impatience is sometimes the mother of at least some solutions.
          AlphaJuno users should use the MKS50 panel found in the discussion here:

Getting Ctrlr to read current state

The PG300 Panel doesn’t do the bi-directional, but the MKS50 Panel does – and they’re basically the same synth. As it turns out, very shortly I’ll also have an MKS50 to play with amongst a few other sweet play things.

So for example I’d like to have multiple CTRLR instances running – One for AlphaJuno on Midex A ;Out 2, In 2 , One for MKS50 on Midex A; Out 3, In3. Both synths would be on independent IOs and cables not using any thru’s at all.

Possemo
          Participant
            • Topics: 14
            • Replies: 638
            • Total: 652
            • ★★★

As the user dtraum didn’t share his work the mks-50 panel only works on midi channel 1:

Roland MKS-50 Advanced

If the Ctrlr version works for you it may be ok as long as you don’t edit panels or create your own panels. This is the official stable version: http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.3.201.exe. What is the problem when trying to install?.

Your midi cabling is all right then. You should be able to use as many synths with ctrlr as you want.

kortizol
            Participant

Can’t remember the exact issue with it – but I didn’t get far into the installation.

Midi cabling is all good on my midex 8 and things seem to be working correctly !

ctreitzell
              Participant
                • Topics: 0
                • Replies: 1
                • Total: 1

If the Ctrlr version works for you it may be ok as long as you don’t edit panels or create your own panels. This is the official stable version: http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.3.201.exe.

ah snap, I started out 2 weeks ago with 5.5.2. I was just using standalone. When I tried to open my panel in VST Host, it was empty. Uninstall and install 5.3.201 and all’s well 🙂
                Now, I did build my own panel with 5.5.2…and it is buggy (vertical sliders latching with others when connected to my device (Fender Cyber Twin)). So I reckon I start over in 5.3.201. That’s ok, I keep a doc with all my naming and settings. I been goin slow and tryin not to ask before finding answers.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by ctreitzell.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Windows’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 72 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr