Help using VSTi version

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Help using VSTi version

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    evaluna002
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      • Total: 2

Hi,
      Could someone please point me to some docs or a forum post explaining the usage of Ctrlr as a VSTi? When I load the VSTi in Sonar, the panel is blank (which is fine) but all the menus are greyed out, so I can’t load a panel or do anything else. Thanks, much appreciated.

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

That means the window is not getting focus from the host. The menu should be working,, try to tweak the settings so you can somehow grab the focus.

If you can’t you can always use the “dummy ableton vst wrapper” that’s built into Ctrlr, it causes the plugin window to be a normal desktop window (and it always has focus when active)

To use the wrapper you need to create a file called Ctrlr.overrides (assuming your vst is named Ctrlr.dll if it’s called Ctrlr-VST.dll or Something-Else.dll you need to name the file Ctrlr-VST.overrides or Something-Else.override), in that file create a simple XML element, the example is included with your Ctrlr installation (it’s in your Doc folder of the installation), but just to quickly show it

The option to look for is ctrlrUseEditorWrapper 1 = enable 0 = disable

evaluna002
        Participant
          • Topics: 1
          • Replies: 1
          • Total: 2

Thanks for the speedy response, atom.
          I will try your suggestion.

lahatte
          Participant
            • Topics: 2
            • Replies: 14
            • Total: 16

To revive this, I cannot get anything of Ctrlr in the Sonar VSTi window. It’s just a blank VSTi window. See attachment.

Please advise.
            Thanks.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Possemo
            Participant
              • Topics: 14
              • Replies: 638
              • Total: 652
              • ★★★

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you are using some kind of 32bit-to-64bit wrapper. This is not needed, there is a x64 version of Ctrlr.

lahatte
              Participant

Yes. You are correct. I just tried the wrapper since it wasn’t working otherwise.

I’ll have to make sure it is indeed using the 64 bit version.

I saw on the Sonar forum that someone else has had an issue with the Ctrlr menu bar not showing in the plugin window, but somewhere to the side. I’ll have to look for that too.

lahatte
                Participant

I am indeed using the 64 bit version. I can get nothing in the Ctrlr plugin window in Sonar.

Hep!! Hep!! I tought I taw a putty tat. Hep!!

lahatte
                  Participant

Ok, I did an uninstall and re-install of an earlier version, then the latest (5.4.54). Not sure if the earlier version is relevant to it working.

But now I need to know how to use the VSTi in a host. I can’t get the Ctrlr VSTi to send any data to my synth. Sonar is using the MIDI ports, so I cannot select those. I thought the VSTi would just use what Sonar makes available?? Surely someone is making this work.

Please advise. Thanks!

lahatte
                    Participant

It’s really too bad there seems to be no documentation on setting up Ctrlr as a VSTi and being able to use it alongside a keyboard.

Possemo
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

I just can say how you do it in Reaper. This is a DAW that does not allow using the Midiports too:

Don’t select any Midi ports in Ctrlr. Instead set “Input from Host to Comparator” and “Output to plugin host”.

Input.. is only needed when you are using a bidirectional panel that will expect data from the synth (e.g. displays the parameters when you change patch). In Reaper you will have to enable the monitor of the track where Ctrlr is inserted and arm the track for recording.

lahatte
                        Participant

Thanks for that. But how did you set the MIDI in and out on the MIDI track in Reaper?

I have something that somewhat works, but uses the stand-alone Ctrlr application rather than the VSTi, along with my DAW. I am using Sonar as my DAW, but others will be similar I assume. This doesn’t use the Ctrlr VSTi (can’t get that to work in the DAW) but instead uses the stand-alone Ctrlr application. Here’s what I have right now …

1) Install LoopMIDI, and run the tool.
                          2) In the LoopMIDI Config, click the + to add a port. You can name it first if you like, or use the default name.

Sonar Part:

1) In Sonar, go to Preferences, MIDI devices, and select the new port as an output (not input).
                          2) Add an audio track to get the signal from your external MIDI device into Sonar, as usual per your audio interface.
                          3) Add a MIDI track for the external MIDI device.
                          4) Set the track MIDI Input to your keyboard, or whatever is used to send notes info, etc.
                          5) Set the track MIDI Output to the LoopMIDI port.

Ctrlr Part:

1) Open the stand-alone Ctrlr application.
                          2) Under the MIDI menu, set the Input Device and Controller Device to the LoopMIDI port.
                          3) Set the Output Device to your hardware port connected to your external MIDI device (I don’t know how this is working to allow both Sonar and Ctrlr to access this port, but here it is).
                          4) Set the Thru to “Input Device -> Output Device”.

This setup gets me MIDI and audio for the external MIDI device via Sonar, and also the ability to control the device with the stand-alone Ctrlr application.

There may be ways to improve on this, but this is what I have found for now.

Possemo
                          Participant
                            • ★★★

DAW’s behave quite differently e.g. Ableton allows you to select the Midiports in Ctrlr-vst (it does not lock the ports for his Miditrack). Reaper won’t allow this but it works flawlessly with the procedure I explained above. On the other hand, when using the standalone version of Ctrlr it is normal that you can select the Midiports. Almost all Midiinterfaces will allow multiple clients using the same Midiports. So in this case no workaround is needed (no midiloop). Just select midi-in and midi-out on both the DAW and Ctrlr.

lahatte
                            Participant

You must be on a Mac. On Windows most MIDI drivers do not allow more than one connection to a MIDI port.

Your setup didn’t work for me. But then I don’t know how you had the MIDI track ports configured.

Possemo
                              Participant
                                • ★★★

No I’m on Windows10 and I am using a MOTU Midiexpress USB. I don’t know anything about Sonar so I’m not able to help you any further.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                              There is currently 0 users and 34 guests online
                              No users are currently active
                              Forum Statistics
                              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                              Ctrlr