How do I connect prophet 08 to Ctrlr Power 08 editor on a Mac?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr How do I connect prophet 08 to Ctrlr Power 08 editor on a Mac?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Shin
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 5
      • Total: 7

Firstly I apologise for asking the dumbest question…
      I tried my best to connect prophet 08 module to Ctrlr power 08 editor (that Ive installed, the dmg file) but no luck…

Could somebody help me out with this?

maybe a step-by-step thorough guideline…?

Gears I have:
      Mac Mini (Mojave OS X)
      UFX
      prophet 08 desktop
      Nektar 61 USB midi controller

*this is how I made my setup.
      Midi out 2 of UFX –> Midi in of PROPHET
      Nektar USB midi controller to MAC (to control Prophet)

I think I don’t seem to get the MIDI SETTING of editor right…

I tried everything there, “receive”, “GET”… no sign of anything.. just nothing shown, or popping up..
      still device said to be ‘undefined’
      receive & send both ? marks..

Prophet 08 works just fine as external instrument on my cubase 8 and 10.
      But I just can’t connect it with Ctrlr Prophet 08 editor, on both
      standalone AND cubase plugin..

I am very very new to connecting External midi devices… since Prophet is my very first hardware synth…

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

So you already installed Ctrlr and loaded the panal into it and connected midi out? Ok, for full functionality you need to connect midi in too (from midi out of prophet). Furthermore you need to set up the prophet correctly. Carl explained it:

The most important is your midi connections : first check your midi connections in ctrlr (midi input and output, sometimes it doesn’t match with naming of devices.. check your computer midi configuration too).

Then click on “Get” button under GLOBAL area of POWER08 panel. if you see “?” in “receive” and “send” boxes, then you have to check your global parameters directly on your synth : –> Global –> + or – to navigate –> and verify that these parameters are correctly setup :

– MParam Send:NRPN
        – M Param Rec: All
        – MIDI Control : On
        – MIDI SysEx: On

Then you can hit “Get” again and you will see the update in “receive” and “send” boxes.

Hope this helps!

Try with standalone first, plugin can be tricky at times.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Possemo.
        John Shin
        Participant

Ok, thank you for the reply. Now I have 2 questions,

1. you are saying I need to connect MIDI IN of prophet 08 to MIDI OUT of my audio interface (RME UFX) correct?

so,
          midi settings on Ctrlr Power 08 editor (standalone app), I set it as follows,

Midi in : UFX port 2
          Controller : Nektar GX61 Midi 1
          Midi out : UFX port 2

Wala!!

Receive: ALL
          Send: NRPN

I went to Bank 1 & Bank 2 and pressed receive and there it went, receiving all its factory patches!
          Thank You so much.

Now you can ignore my first question, here is my new first question with sub-questions:
          1. what do I do with these..?
          a) Midi channels (I see 5 of them and I set it as 1 for all)
          b) Plugin check boxes: do I tick BOTH of them or none..?
          C) OSC Server settings: do I enable it or no? (it is currently 7770 and protocol default.
          d) ROUTING section: which ones do I tick and which ones do I ingore? (currently I ticked “IN Device -> OUT Device & right side of it “change MIDI Channel” ticked)

So now I can see my Power 08 is fully connected.
          (playing keys on my controller I hear sound right, knobs moving concurrently both on the app and the hardware)

so what now is the most convenient way to SAVE newly edited patches? (Im sure prophet 08 does not allow you yo save unless overwriting..) and LOAD (recall) up the pathes..(whenever on cubase)?

2. also another question, I AM totally not to judge nor compare it to any other applications, but since I am so new to this,
          what are the differences between Ctrlr panels editor AND a) Soundtower prophet 08 editor and SYNTHET (which you need to purchase)?
          are functionalities the same?

My main needs:
          1. Utilise my hardware synth (prophet 08 desktop) in Cubase so I can use it as VSTi.
          2. Saving my custom edited patches without deleting any factory patches.
          3. Load the edited patch whenever I need to work on my project without any technical delay.

John Shin
          Participant

I am now playing with Power 08 and just wanted to tell you that, changing program on Prophet 08 (physically) does not sync with power 08, so program name does not change on the program.
            I saved the patch and re-loaded it by double clicking the syx file. the sound was not the same (I guess since the name of the patch did not change on the app, the app itself did not fully integrate the settings while saving.. just the default program sound where it was stuck at.
            Just letting you know, is it a bug?

BUT I can tweak and change program / banks ON the POWER 08 , and save. it works perfect without any bugs..

OR maybe I am doing it wrong..?

John Shin
            Participant

The problem with this is that.. maybe I might be afraid to tweak sounds real-time PHYSICALLY by playing with prophet 08…

because tweaking with mouse is fine, but just work flow wise, it takes longer…otz

and also I noticed, LPF, tweaking PHYSICALLY resonance is a bit buggy, when it is on with POWER 08… so… value numbering kinda shakes..

FOR NOW.. is it the best and safe, to tweak sounds/changing program ON the app rather than touching it on prophet 08 module…?

sorry for being all over the places

John Shin
              Participant

I am running the latest, Ctrlr app and Power 08 v3

John Shin
                Participant

Oh, and also, do you have to “receive” and “GET” everytime you close the app and open it again to sync with the Power 08 editor..?

that would be very time-consuming…..

Possemo
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 14
                    • Replies: 638
                    • Total: 652
                    • ★★★

Now you can ignore my first question, here is my new first question with sub-questions:
                    1. what do I do with these..?
                    a) Midi channels (I see 5 of them and I set it as 1 for all)
                    b) Plugin check boxes: do I tick BOTH of them or none..?
                    C) OSC Server settings: do I enable it or no? (it is currently 7770 and protocol default.
                    d) ROUTING section: which ones do I tick and which ones do I ingore? (currently I ticked “IN Device -> OUT Device & right side of it “change MIDI Channel” ticked)

2. also another question, I AM totally not to judge nor compare it to any other applications, but since I am so new to this,
                    what are the differences between Ctrlr panels editor AND a) Soundtower prophet 08 editor and SYNTHET (which you need to purchase)?
                    are functionalities the same?

Tryin to answer these questions first.

a.) midichannels have to be set to the same on both the synth and ctrlr. If you want to know what midichannels are good for just google it.

b.) in standalone and in Cubase as plugin: uncheck them all
                    c.) osc is not needed, disable it
                    d.) do not tick any of them. If you do so it can produce midi loop feedback with lots of strange behavior.

2.) I have no idea as I don’t know any of thes editors and I don’t own a prophet 08.

Just set midi in and out in Ctrlr – disable the controller. As on Mac many apps can use the same midi port in parallel just run Ctrlr-standalone and Cubase in parallel. Connect your controller in Cubase not in Ctrlr. If you use the plugin within Cubase you basically set up Ctrlr the same way. Just be aware that Cubase cannot connect to a midiport which is already used by the Ctrlr-plugin. So you can have only one track with the Ctrlr plugin enabling the midiconnection.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 86 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr