How to get Ctrlr VSTi to send data from Host?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr How to get Ctrlr VSTi to send data from Host?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lahatte
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 14
      • Total: 16

I am trying to use Ctrlr VSTi in Sonar. I can’t get the Ctrlr VSTi to send any data to my synth (standalone version works fine, because I can select the ports). Sonar is using the MIDI ports, so I cannot select those. I thought the VSTi would just use what Sonar makes available via a MIDI track for the VSTi?? Surely someone is making this work.

Please advise. Thanks!

Puppeteer
      Participant
        • Topics: 16
        • Replies: 185
        • Total: 201
        • ★★

The issue here is Windows and more specifically how most MIDI drivers are programmed. Most Windows MIDI drivers aren’t able to be accessed by multiple applications at the same time.

Ctrlr has its own binding for the MIDI interface, so you’ll need to disable it within Sonar in order to use it with Ctrlr. The Ctrlr VSTi, will accept the incoming MIDI notes etc, and pass it through to the MIDI interface, acting like an external instrument.

The Puppeteer
        http://godlike.com.au

lahatte
        Participant

But is it not possible to use Ctrlr via Sonar’s MIDI connections? As in, pass MIDI data to Sonar and let Sonar route it to the devices…

lahatte
          Participant

I have something that somewhat works. I am using Sonar as my DAW, but other will be similar I assume. This doesn’t use the Ctrlr VSTi (can’tget that to work in the DAW) but instead uses the stand-alone Ctrlr application. Here’s what I have right now …

1) Install LoopMIDI, and run the tool.
            2) In the LoopMIDI Config, click the + to add a port. You can name it first if you like, or use the default name.

Sonar Part:

1) In Sonar, go to Preferences, MIDI devices, and select the new port as an output (not input).
            2) Add an audio track to get the signal from your external MIDI device into Sonar, as usual per your audio interface.
            3) Add a MIDI track for the external MIDI device.
            4) Set the track MIDI Input to your keyboard, or whatever is used to send notes info, etc.
            5) Set the track MIDI Output to the LoopMIDI port.

Ctrlr Part:

1) Open the stand-alone Ctrlr application.
            2) Under the MIDI menu, set the Input Device and Controller Device to the LoopMIDI port.
            3) Set the Output Device to your hardware port connected to your external MIDI device (I don’t know how this is working to allow both Sonar and Ctrlr to access this port, but here it is).
            4) Set the Thru to “Input Device -> Output Device”.

This setup gets me MIDI and audio for the external MIDI device via Sonar, and also the ability to control the device with the stand-alone Ctrlr application.

There may be ways to improve on this, but this is what I have found for now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 38 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr