Is it possible to duplicate and delete modulators with a function?

Home Forums General Programming Is it possible to duplicate and delete modulators with a function?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    audiosync
    Participant
      • Topics: 5
      • Replies: 13
      • Total: 18

In other words I would like to have something like the “copy with children” and “paste” option from the context menu as a function for generating modulators from inside code automatically.

The reason is that when I did some changes to the layout of an operator of my interface (one operator is a group that contains about 70 modulators) I always delete all other operator groups (right now it’s “only” 16 in sum for ONE voice) and then again copy the modified operator 15 times with children (to have the same structure for all operators) which is a little boring. An auto-replication with a preceding deletion would be very helpful at that point especially when I am going to expand the interface to all four voices…

I don’t know if there is a better way of handling this but when working with such a big interface, I find myself spending a lot of time in optimizing the panel to MY PERSONAL workflow and not just place all parameters 1:1 as mentioned in midi implementation chart – which means that I want the flexibility to change the layout all the time.

All changes to an operator then always have to be replicated to all other operators as said above, by deleting all other ones through all layers and starting to duplicate the “master” operator, positioning the clones, spread them to layers, rename, relabel, etc…

I already created a function that automatically changes the names of all duplicated modulators to my naming syntax. It does this by detecting all clones which are always having a “-1” , “-2”,… at the end of their names (example: “v1_op1_Transpose-1” will be renamed to “v1_op2_Transpose”), which helps a lot.
      You have to know that my midi messages are all calculated from functions by simply splitting the modulators name and translating it into corresponding midi values – so by having all modulators names set correctly, all copies are automatically functioning.

I also created a little function that exchanges the label images for all operators on each layer. So is there anything that I could do to make life easier concerning “automatic replication” of modulators including positioning them (also to different layers) as this still is the most time consuming task…

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 80
        • Replies: 793
        • Total: 873
        • ★★★

The way I do it is to create all the layers needed and then, with a text editor, copy all modulators needed and paste it to a new document, search and replace all variables you can at once (layer uid and any other shared by all mods) and paste the result at the end of the panel. Open the panel in Ctrlr and change individual variables in the modulator list window. This way you have the same layer repeated with all mods in their place. It’s still time consuming.

audiosync
        Participant

Thanks. I will have a look at it. It seems to be a good approach as I sometimes do not trust in stability of Ctrlr when copying and pasting multiple huge groups with children at once.

Nevertheless I wonder why it is not possible to move a multiselection by mouse – only with cursor keys which do not let it snap to grid…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by audiosync.
          dasfaker
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 80
            • Replies: 793
            • Total: 873
            • ★★★

In fact you can, pressing SHIFT and dragging.

audiosync
            Participant

Indeed – that’s great! I thought I tried this out already…

audiosync
              Participant

In fact you can, pressing SHIFT and dragging.

I just noticed that Ctrlr somehow bundles all groups from my multiselection into one group when releasing them after dragging while holding shift…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 76 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr