JV-XP Editor for Roland JV-XP series

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros JV-XP Editor for Roland JV-XP series

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dasfaker
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 80
      • Replies: 793
      • Total: 873
      • ★★★

Another editor for Roland JV-XP series. Works both in single and performance mode. 13657 parameters!!

Here’s the panel’s page

null

nkovac
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Replies: 3
        • Total: 3

Hi,
        Thank you for the great editor. I got JV2080 and realised that you guys published the editor on the same day I turned my synth for the first time.
        I have some questions/problems/suggestions.
        1. Both standalone and VST editor show status as offline all the time. I have setup midi as shown in manual. The Editor can receive and send data to the synth it seems yet status is still “offline” Why is this so?
        2. It would be great if manual would go through explaining scenarios for different midi settings options so it is easier to troubleshoot possible. Now according to manual, there is only one good midi setup that would imply others are needless (I presume they are not)
        3. Randomization does not seem to work for me well. pressing “Rand” will randomuze the title of the patch on the synth display itself, but not on th epatch panel in th eeditor, also after pressing “Rand” the patch does not make any sound at all any more (mo matter how many times I try)
        4. In Patch mode while the patch title is randomised on the synth display and I press “get” in the editor (right next to the patch pan pot) Editor does not recieve the name change.
        5. If I go to “PERF” mode, pres on one of the parts, and then go to “PATCH” mode. To the left I wull have the name of the last Patch I edited, in the comm page of the patch editor it will show the name of the part I pressed in the “PERF” mode, adn on th esynth display I still have randomized patch title because I have pressed “rand” just a momment before switching i described in this 5th point.
        6. It would be great if performances, and patches could be choosen wherever their name is shown (either by arrows scrolling backa nd forth through their respective bank, or by a drop down that shows their respective bank). ATM the only way to choose different patches is from “LIB” tab if I got it right.
        7. I have read the manual but still do not understand how to choose different Performances from the Editor? “LIB” tab seems to only manage patches and rhythms
        8. I have noticed that pan pot in the parts list of the performance view sometimes does not correspond (update) with the pan pot in the “part” tab, and also some parts do not seem not to change pan when I move the pan pot (it might be due to some feature of the synth I do not understand yet)

All in all, thanks for your time I hope this feedback is of any help.
        Cheers!

dasfaker
        Keymaster
          • ★★★

Hi nkovac, thanks for your input, much appreciated.

First I have to say that I haven’t tested the editor with a JV2080, just with a XP30.

1. After looking at the JV2080 manual, it seems that it can’t receive or transmit identity request messages, and this is the message used to know if the synth is online or offline. I’ll add this info in the manual.

2. There can be several configurations, it depends on your setup, if you’re using multi client midi drivers with your MIDI interface, if you’re using or not a DAW, the use of virtual midi ports… The config explained in the manual is the config I’ve tested (so I can help if it doesn’t work for you) and the one that give maximum control over the synth with no multi client MIDI drivers. Anyway, feel free to experiment with other configs.

3. Can’t reproduce this issue. When I press rand, the patch is randomized both on the synth and in the editor. After pressing rand several times, depending on the % amount and specially if you didn’t locked certain parameters, you could get no sound (due to key and velocity small ranges, low volumes, envelopes…).

4. I can’t reproduce this also. The patch name changes on both the synth and the editor. When I press get, the editor receives the patch (that is the same it was already in the editor).

5. This don’t happen here. It’s just that names don’t update, other parameters are correct? The sound is the correct?

6. Yes, the only way to load sounds is thru the browser, but this will not change.

7. The browser is just for patches and rhythms, and this also will not change. There are other free librarians that deal with this much better.
          The main goal of the editor is to be able to use the synth in a DAW just like any other vst instrument, with total recall of parameters for each project. The browser is just a little add on for browsing patches and rhythms.

8. I’ve checked all pan sliders and all are working.

Several of the problems could point to performance problems. Are you using a fast or slow computer? Many panel functions are sequences of actions driven with timers, and it could be that on some computers the interval used is not enough. I would need more reports to have a better idea.

nkovac
          Participant

Hi dasfaker,
            Sorry for my terrible typing, just realised how bad it is 😀
            1. That makes sense. That “offline” status was putting me off all the time so I was not sure what was intended behaviour and what was not.
            2. That also makes sense, It might help others to state that in the manual in the same manner, my first instinct was to enable everything (because of the offline status message)
            3. Yes, that’s what I thought too. I just realised that for instance attack times get very long and so there seems to not be any sound. trying to change te attack value I noticed another bug. the envelope graph graphics do not update on thjis new randomized patch (they did earlier)check the attached video.
            4. Please see attached video “randomised name not updating” the name shown on the synth display itself at the moment of the video capture is something randomised like “.{..(s.D)..j”
            5. Please see the attached image named “names_not changed” to reproduce it all I have to do is to klick on any part of the performance, click “PATCH” to switch to patch mode result is that the Patch name of the only patch in the list on the left changes, but the name in “comm” panel for the patch in the middle of the screen stays the same at the performance part selected in the beginning. playing on the virtual heyboard at the bottom shows that th epatch has indeed changed, switching to some other tab and then back to “comm” refreshes the name
            6. “browser” being the “LIB” tab? I must admit it is quite cumbersome, as it makes switching through patches on the synth itself quicker when searching for the sound and not the name.
            7. JV2080 is multitimbral, so I am using your fine editor loaded as a VST on one track in Ableton, routing multiple midi tracks into it on different channels. Great thing is that reloading ableton project (or set as they call it) indeed recalls back the Performance used with all the right parts. (if the synth is in PATCH mode then in editor switching back and forth from perf to patch and back to perf is needed for the synth to update) however, at the moment there is no simple or practical way to switch through the performances in the editor 🙁
            8. My bad I mixed up the Pan and Volume pots (while in the performance mode) on the “part” tab and “comm” tab (as they look the same). The ones in “part” really correspond with the one in the left list of the parts, but the ones in the “comm” tab do nothing for me. I reckon they should modify the volume and pan settings of the patch itself but nothing happens here.

My computer is Intel i7 3770K, 32gb of ram, nVidia GTX560(Ti i think), RME multiface II as audio and midi inteface, running Windows 10 64bit

PS attachment being only about 3mb are too big for the forum it seems I can email them to you if you wish.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by nkovac.
            Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            dasfaker
            Keymaster
              • ★★★

3. Here the envelopes gets updated no matter how many times I randomize the patch.

5. So if you switch tab and go back, the name is updated. This is a clue that your system needs more time to update the panel.

6. Yes, the browser is the lib tab. If it’s quicker for you changing sounds on the synth, do it. I don’t know what functions do you expect from the lib.

7. It’s not possible to change performances from the editor, this function is not implemented. But you can change them on the synth and request the data form the editor.

8. Vol and Pan from the left tab correspond to Part Vol and Part Pan in Performance mode. Common Vol and Common Pan are totally different parameters.
              If you are in Single mode, as there is no Part section, Vol and Pan from the left tab corresponds to Common Vol and Common Pan.

I’ll send you a pm.

dasfaker
              Keymaster
                • ★★★

I’ve uploaded a new version that could fix several of the issues related to envelopes and names not updating correctly.

nkovac
                Participant

These are great news dasfaker. I am sorry I did not have time to give more detailed instructions to reproduce the bugs I reported. I will test the new version as soon as I find some time. Thank you!

human fly
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 124
                    • Replies: 1070
                    • Total: 1194
                    • ★★★★

oh yes… had not seen this. my jv1080 is going to love this.
                    really liked the XP30 editor (though it reported some errors
                    here, on startup, i think). will be looking at it asap.

thank you!

dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★

nkovak: No problem, let me know how it works now.

human fly: Yes, the XP30 panel was done years ago and surely it will not work with modern Ctrlr versions.

Cilonen
                      Participant
                        • Topics: 1
                        • Replies: 2

Quick question for the people having a JV-1080 and this fantastic editor (still have to dig it properly but to have the possibility to edit this amazing synth in such a way is great!).

So, question is about expansion cards: i don’t own any of them but i would like to know if there’s any chance to have some of them in forms of sysex file and uploaded with the editor!

Cheers 🙂

human fly
                        Participant
                          • Topics: 124
                          • Replies: 1070
                          • Total: 1194
                          • ★★★★

Quick question for the people having a JV-1080 and this fantastic editor (still have to dig it properly but to have the possibility to edit this amazing synth in such a way is great!).

So, question is about expansion cards: i don’t own any of them but i would like to know if there’s any chance to have some of them in forms of sysex file and uploaded with the editor!

Cheers ?

lol 🙂 it doesn’t work like that … (you need the PCMs on a hardware card)

Cilonen
                          Participant
                            • Topics: 1
                            • Replies: 2

Cheers ?

lol ? it doesn’t work like that … (you need the PCMs on a hardware card)

Yeah that’s what i thought. But there’s no way to get these PCM and make editing?

gonzoB
                            Participant

Hi all.

First post. I have a JV1010 and wrote a very simple html-based editor for it. It works well but isn’t very smart.

Then I came across this panel – Looks fantastic! Anyway, I loaded it (Win10) and connected up to the JV. The synth is getting the messages (checking via the thru port), but is not responding. The command coming to the synth is F0 41 10 F7. The JV ignores this. I tried factory-resetting, still no response. Is this a “Identity request” like the first post in this thread? If so, is there a way of tweaking the panel so that it is “locked” for a JV1010?

I also have Sound Diver, and it sends the same request, so I’m wondering if I have a config problem on the synth itself…

Thanks

Gonzo

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by gonzoB.
                              lecleto
                              Participant
                                • Topics: 10
                                • Replies: 34
                                • Total: 44

Hello GonzoB!

I also wrote in Ctrlr a Patch Editor for JV-1010 and family however is just a Patch Editor. I created this patch editor using JV-1010 and JV-1080.

You can try and chek if it will work for you and your necessities.

Here is the link:

JV PatchEd. – Roland JV-XP Patch Editor

dasfaker
                                Keymaster
                                  • ★★★

Change the DEVICE ID parameter on your synth to the lowest value.

gonzoB
                                  Participant

Hi all.

Thanks for your comments. I discovered the problem is that WIN10 doesn’t like the USB-MIDI adpater. The program was sending the full string to the MIDI port, but the OS was losing 11 characters along the way, but the final F7 character appeared, so I didn’t realise the characters were being lost. I’m now running under Wine in Ubuntu, and it is working. Ubuntu likes the adapter.

I’m using this because I want to work on performances, but I don’t know how to make a user performance “active”. Any advice?

@lecleto
                                    : I’ll try yours as well for editing the patches.

Gonzo

gonzoB
                                    Participant

OK, I’ve got the editor working properly now. My problem is that I don’t understand a few concepts.

I assume that when I turn the JV1010 synth on and select “Perform” from the front panel, a blank default performance is loaded into the “temp” bank. When I then start to populate the performance from the front panel, I get inconsistent results. Example: part 1 has much higher reverb than part 2, even with the same patch loaded. Is there a way that I can use this editor to tweak the “default” performance that is loaded?

Or have I just got the wrong idea altogether?

Gonzo

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
                                    • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                    There is currently 0 users and 78 guests online
                                    No users are currently active
                                    Forum Statistics
                                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                    Ctrlr