JX-Programmer MKS-70 adaptation

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros JX-Programmer MKS-70 adaptation

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    quadraspleen
    Participant
      • Topics: 6
      • Replies: 33
      • Total: 39
      • β˜…

I’m happy to do whatever I can but I don’t know LUA at all. The only way I got my version of DMM’s PG to work was by laboriously changing the device ID byte of every slider and parameter and saving two panels.

I can test it though. It seems to work. I get this error every time I start it up (attached). What CTRLR version was it compiled with?

best

jake

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      opuswerk
      Participant
        • Topics: 7
        • Replies: 102
        • Total: 109
        • β˜…β˜…

Hey quadraspleen,

Here’s the updated version. That should fix the error message you’re getting. I also changed a few things about the layout. Not quite there where I want it, but I guess it’s the first time I ever design a GUI, so it will take a bit of time before I figure out how to design things properly. I find it a bit crowded at the moment…

When I find time again, I’ll be working on having the panel parameters update when a patch is loaded.

Anyways, please let me know your thoughts πŸ™‚

Attachments:

http://opuswerk.tumblr.com
        www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
        www.facebook.com/opuswerk

quadraspleen
        Participant
          • β˜…

Hey there,

Sorry I’ve not had a chance to test this yet as I’ve been very busy at work. I’ll get it out by the weekend and give some feedback.

Well done, again!

opuswerk
          Participant
            • β˜…β˜…

Hey Quadraspleen, here’s a newer version with a few bugs fixed. Still want to do more with the GUI, but that will have to wait a little bit longer until all the functionalities are working. I also really want to have a more graphical envelope editor rather than what’s there currently. I really like to see what my enveloppes do πŸ™‚

Also I have something to ask of you if possible. Could you confirm or not that CTRLR receives sysex from the mks when you change a patch?
            I’m trying to work out if something is maybe wrong with my mks as it’s not working at the moment here. As I’m beta testing vecoven’s rewritten mks OS, I’m not sure how the older versions should behave, but we don’t loose anything trying.

The easiest way to do so, would be to use the built-in MIDI monitor of ctrlr and copy paste here what comes in the input if you change the patch (be it from the synth, or from the panel).

Please keep me posted.

Cheers,

H.

Attachments:

superlewing
            Participant
              • Topics: 0
              • Replies: 19
              • Total: 19
              • β˜…

opuswerk, many thanks for this. The MKS would be useless to me without!

I have one suggestion, I’ve been exporting the DLL from ctrlr to work with ableton live and push. It would be really helpful if the parameter names in the code were more descriptive. Many of them are just ENV-1-4 etc.

I’ll have time to test the new version over the weekend and will try to get some midi output to you.

superlewing
              Participant
                • β˜…

Here is the MIDI ctrlr sees when changing patch on the MKS 70

[19:13:13:000334]: RAW:[f0 41 36 00 24 30 01 29 40 f7]
                [19:13:13:000367]: RAW:[f0 41 36 00 24 30 01 29 40 f7]
                [19:13:13:000372]: RAW:[f0 41 36 00 24 30 01 12 40 f7]
                [19:13:13:000398]: RAW:[f0 41 36 00 24 30 01 18 00 f7]
                [19:13:13:000403]: RAW:[f0 41 36 00 24 30 01 33 00 f7]
                [19:13:13:000403]: RAW:[c0 25]
                [19:13:13:000403]: RAW:[c1 0b]
                [19:13:13:000403]: RAW:[c0 25]
                [19:13:13:000406]: RAW:[f0 41 34 00 24 30 01 25 00 f7]
                [19:13:13:000427]: RAW:[f0 41 35 00 24 30 01 41 54 54 41 43 4b 20 4f 4e 20 53 55 53 54 41 49 4e 20 40 6e 07 52 59 00 00 7b 00 00 00 25 00 00 40 01 7f 00 01 4e 0b 00 00 40 01 7f 00 01 00 5a 01 14 00 00 00 f7]
                [19:13:13:000431]: RAW:[f0 41 34 00 24 20 01 25 00 f7]
                [19:13:13:000455]: RAW:[f0 41 35 00 24 20 01 55 4e 43 48 4f 52 55 53 45 44 00 00 60 3b 00 00 00 60 00 3c 4b 00 01 00 00 00 60 60 7f 7f 00 00 60 20 48 05 00 65 41 60 60 75 20 00 00 5b 5b 00 22 00 10 20 00 05 73 32 20 00 40 f7]
                [19:13:13:000459]: RAW:[f0 41 34 00 24 20 02 0b 00 f7]
                [19:13:13:000482]: RAW:[f0 41 35 00 24 20 02 41 54 54 41 43 4b 2d 50 41 44 20 00 60 3a 00 00 00 40 65 47 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 60 7f 7f 00 00 60 00 3a 10 00 30 40 00 60 66 1b 4f 40 00 6e 00 06 02 01 00 00 07 7f 26 0f 00 40 f7]

Let me know if I can help further

opuswerk
                Participant
                  • β˜…β˜…

Hello,

Sorry for going missing after the last post. Life has been busy, and I spent quite a bit of time debugging what was wrong on my synth. It appeared that the jackboard had some fault, and was preventing any MIDI from going out of the synth.

So after some extra repairs, and many hours getting my head around Lua and losing and re-writing all my code a few too many times, I finally have a beta version of the panel that’s almost ready for some testing. All parameters should have understandable names, but the VST index might need some extra work to make it more user friendly in a DAW

The tone parameters now update on patch change, and are all working correctly.
                  What needs some extra work are:
                  – the Patch parameters
                  – a total redesign of the UI
                  – some testing on a non Vecoven OS.

I should be able to finish the patch parameters soon, after reading the manual once again to understand them better. However, If someone is willing to give a hand on the graphics side, it’s very welcome. Else, it’s an aspect that will have to wait a bit longer, as I can’t find any decent mac alternative to Knobman, and do not really have the time to design one at the moment.

quadraspleen
                  Participant
                    • β˜…

Top werk dude πŸ˜‰ I too have been rushed off my feet with work and not using the MKS for a while, but I get my console back from the service shop this week, so will give it a good working over. Well done and thanks for all of your hard work!

opuswerk
                    Participant
                      • β˜…β˜…

I’ll send you the latest version when I’m back home tonight.
                      Still need to get around doing a proper GUI, as I believe it is a very important part of the panel, but I want to move away from the pg-800 design, and allow for a better overview of the whole state of the synth.

quadraspleen
                      Participant
                        • β˜…

Top man, thanks. Ready when you are πŸ™‚

maura
                        Participant
                          • Replies: 2
                          • Total: 2
                          • β˜…

Hey great work on the panel really
                          appreciate it can you upload a new link the one above isn’t working for me thanks.

DMM
                          Participant
                            • Replies: 46
                            • Total: 52
                            • β˜…

Hi guys,
                            Looks like I’m going to need to buy a mks70 πŸ™‚
                            Keep up the good work!

superlewing
                            Participant
                              • β˜…

I’ll be retrieving my MKS70 this weekend, do you’ve an updated panel I can test or is everything working smoothly with this one?

Thanks

opuswerk
                              Participant
                                • β˜…β˜…

Hello,

I have indeed a new version of the panel, but some things are still not 100% functional, and I unfortunately didn’t have time to finish it. But I wouldn’t mind a helping hand.

I’m not sure I managed to export everything with the Lua included etc, so please let me know if that works.

Here’s what it currently looks like: MKS70 Beta Panel

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by opuswerk.
                                Attachments:

superlewing
                                Participant
                                  • β˜…

That’s great, many thanks. I’ll let you know how I get on

superlewing
                                  Participant
                                    • β˜…

The MKS70 sadly broke at the weekend but here’s how far I got.

All params are now tested working except bank and patch changes which are disabled as they were messing up volatile patches on bulk dump
                                    Modulators have short names to show up on hardware controllers
                                    Panel B has slider controls instead of list boxes to make them linkable for control of both voices at once
                                    Sacked off a bunch of scripts where the sysex function parameter is sufficient
                                    Added a link mode which links any modulator ending with A to the same named ending with B
                                    Also provisioned for doing that to a subset of params based on containing an underscore or something. Sounds great with different envs etc hard panned.

The idea was to dial up patches from a control surface which are then saved with each track rather than use the MKS memory but this functionality can be easily reinstated.

Attachments:
                                    opuswerk
                                    Participant
                                      • β˜…β˜…

Hello Superlewing,

Cool to see you took over part of the project. I had very little time to pursue it and somehow, it was working decently enough for me to use it as is. I hope it wasn’t to messy to work with…
                                      I’m very curious about the link mode, as it’s something I really wanted to get done as well.

It seems like a lot of the lua I had written never got exported.
                                      I had done lua for all dropdowns, as the values were not the same that the MKS70 was expecting. Namely, for the chorus, the enveloppes, etc… They don’t all expect the 0-127 values divided by the amount of object in the list.
                                      Are they all working correctly in your version?
                                      What do the top right buttons do?

Are the filters editing correctly? for both Tones? I noticed in my setup that sometimes, the MKS would hang until i got to the parameter on the synth and edited it myself. then it would catch up.

Also don’t you want the panel to update depending on the status of the MKS? Did you get rid of this part too? What went wrong with yours?

Will definitely try your panel when time allows, which is hopefully soon.

superlewing
                                      Participant
                                        • β˜…

For the link mode all the modulators are prelinked by name. When link is activated a function iterates through all the modulators ending in ‘B’ and switches the link mode to sysex. Bit of a hack but it works.

According to the midi spec chorus and envs receive 0-31, 32-63 etc range so I just put *32 in the sysex value function. This was much cleaner but a problem arose implementing the linking where instead of original list values being sent to the twin lists(0-3), the multiplied sysex value was being sent (0-127) so I changed them to sliders.

Yeah sorry for gutting your return functions, mostly out of laziness as I needed cleaner names but couldn’t be bothered to update the variable names for functions I wouldn’t use. It’d be a few minutes to copy them in again.

It’s easy to spend too much time perfecting this sort of thing without ever making any actual music.

m.tarenskeen
                                        Participant
                                          • Topics: 30
                                          • Replies: 113
                                          • Total: 143
                                          • β˜…β˜…

Hi,

I don’t own a JX10 or a MKS70, but I have worked with them in the past.
                                          I don’t read one important “detail” in this thread: Yes, the MKS-70 is basically a JX10 rackmodule. And both have a JX8P sound engine x 2.

But Roland made one big mistake: The JX10 SysEx implementation sucks and is useless with for example Ctrlr. The only SysEx functionality the JX10 supports is dumping the complete content of an external M64C cartridge to/from MIDI. That’s all.
                                          Even the JX8P has a better SysEx implementation than the JX10.
                                          Also the MKS-70 has a better SysEx implementation than the JX10.

That’s why someone created this:
                                          http://www.vecoven.com/superjx/superjx.html

Looks interesting.

opuswerk
                                          Participant
                                            • β˜…β˜…

Hello m.tarenskeen,

I currently use a beta version of Vecoven’s MKS70/JX10 OS. I still need to upgrade my ROMs to the latest ones, but haven’t had time yet. It really works wonders, and does much more than fix the mks70. It basically allows it to be integrated in a present studio in a much more fluid way.

I highly recommend grabbing this OS if you own a JX10 or an MKS70. It’s that good!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 147 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 66 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr