JX-Programmer MKS-70 adaptation

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros JX-Programmer MKS-70 adaptation

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    opuswerk
    Participant
      • Topics: 7
      • Replies: 102
      • Total: 109
      • ★★

hmmmm. I never got such an error. Care to tell me how to replicate it?

http://opuswerk.tumblr.com
      www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
      www.facebook.com/opuswerk

robohymn
      Participant
        • Topics: 0
        • Replies: 8
        • Total: 8

Hi opuswerk — I’m not sure if you’re still interested in working on that panel, but I’ve got the same error. In 32-bit Ctrlr, I get a message that says “Callback error: VPvcaEnvModeMessage
        lua runtime error
        method disabled”.

The panel still seems to work (in 32-bit Ctrlr) after clearing that error box, though I haven’t tested it extensively yet.

Also, it won’t open at all in the 64-bit version of Ctrlr (standalone or plugin), it actually crashed Reaper when I tried with a C++ runtime error message. I’m using the latest nightly of Ctrlr on a Win 7/64 bit machine. I’ve got a JX-10 with Vecoven 3.03 (not interested in 4.x PWM upgrade).

Hope you’re still interested in debugging this panel, if not, no worries, you’ve done awesome work here and your panels have been incredibly helpful to me, I can always use earlier versions and maybe actually get off my a** and learn how to code a panel myself. Or maybe try to do one with Jesusonic scripting in Reaper or something.

Thanks from us useless non-coder types!! — Jason.

Edit: don’t know if this is useful, but the panel function that error seems to refer to, the envelope type for the upper tone, works fine once the error message is cleared and the panel loads. Thought that might be useful to know, no idea. Thanks again.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by robohymn.
        midiquestions
        Participant
          • Replies: 12
          • Total: 12

hmmmm. I never got such an error. Care to tell me how to replicate it?

What @robohymn wrote below is what’s happening for me as well.

And for what it’s worth, I cannot get any version of this, even older versions that don’t open in panel mode, to work with my JX-10 v3.07. Every parameter group is set to “Recv,” but all that works from Ctrlr is the patch change feature — no patch or tone editing. No idea why. All of my other Ctrlr panels work with their respective hardware, so it’s not like I can’t figure out Ctrlr as a whole…

robohymn
          Participant

Well I think I figured it out.

Looks like the code for the UPdco2WaveMessage “method” (I don’t know if I’m using proper terms, I’m talking about the list on the left side of the LUA editor window) got into the UPvcaEnvModeMessage “method” pane somehow, hence the error. I compared the “method” panes with the lower tone ones and realized (to my amazement, I suck at things like this) that I just needed to change “UPdco2WaveMessage” at the top of the UPvcaEnvModeMessage “method” pane to “UPVcaEnvModeMessage” then copy/paste the from the lower tone’s version of that pane into the upper tone’s; also have to change tone parameter from 02 (lower) to 01 (upper), and change the comboValue name to UPVCAENVMODE and now it works perfectly. Did I explain that OK? I’m a musician, I really do suck at these things. Anyway it now works like a charm in both 32 and 64 bit, standalone and plugin, no errors. Thanks.

Edit: actually, for anyone having this problem with the panel, delete the code in the UPvcaEnvModeMessage “method” pane and replace it with this:

UPvcaEnvModeMessage = function(mod, value)

— This variable stops index issues during panel bootup
            if panel:getRestoreState() == true or panel:getProgramState() == true then
            return
            end

— Get the combo’s value
            comboValue = UPVCAENVMODE:getModulatorValue()

— Send appropriate sysex based on combo’s value
            if comboValue == 00 then
            mySysex = CtrlrMidiMessage({0xF0, 0x41, 0x36, 0x00, 0x24, 0x20, 0x01, 0x3a, 0x00, 0xF7})
            — console(“RangeValue = ” ..comboValue)
            panel:sendMidiMessageNow(mySysex)

elseif comboValue == 01 then
            mySysex = CtrlrMidiMessage({0xF0, 0x41, 0x36, 0x00, 0x24, 0x20, 0x01, 0x3a, 0x64, 0xF7})
            — console(“RangeValue = ” ..comboValue)
            panel:sendMidiMessageNow(mySysex)

end

end

opuswerk
            Participant
              • ★★

@midiquestions : did you activate the sysex messages on your MKS70 ? What OS is your JX10? This panel is made to work with the Vecoven OS, but it should also work with the previous one on the Upper Tone only.

@robohymn
              : Thanks for trying out the panel. I was really lacking any other testers beside than myself. I don’t really understand how the methods got swapped, but anyways, I’ve fixed it and updated the panel accordingly.
              Attached is the latest and fixed version. Tell me how it works out for you.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.

robohymn
              Participant

Hi opuswerk, no problems at all that I could see, works great! Thanks again for doing this panel, it’s been a great asset in REAPER. I’ll let you know in this thread if I notice anything awry. All the best to you.

robohymn
                Participant

So I gave the PG800c a different color scheme, decided to theme each tone with a different colour (red and blue) with green for patch params. Looks pretty good I think (see attached image). Might rearrange it completely with A-upper set up vertically on the left side, B on the right, with patch params in the middle. Might present some nice advantages for editing as opposed to horizontal setup.

opuswerk, I’ve noticed one issue with the panel (but really only one) — the “chromatic shift” knobs seem to skip around. If you turn either one, say, all the way left and move it to the right, it rises in pitch like it should until about 30 (in the readout window) then holds whatever pitch it arrives at at 30 until around 100 or so, then jumps down (rather than up; and byt this I mena the sound from the JX, not the readout number) and continues downward in pitch from there. The other tuning knobs seem to scale correctly.

According to this page:
                  http://llamamusic.com/super-jx/mks70SysEx_I.html
                  ..the chromatic shift parameter(s) run from -24 – +24.

But that’s all I’ve found. Thanks again.

Edit: so the chromatic shift parameter(s) aren’t full range across 0-127; 0-24 = 0 (no shift) to +24; 104-127 = -24 to -1. So is it possible to have a single parameter knob/slider ignore 25-103? Just jump to 103 after 24 (though I think it would need to be reversed)? Anyway I’ll figure it out.

Attachments:
                  midiquestions
                  Participant

@midiquestions : did you activate the sysex messages on your MKS70 ? What OS is your JX10? This panel is made to work with the Vecoven OS, but it should also work with the previous one on the Upper Tone only.

@opuswerk

I have the latest version of Vecoven on the JX-10, v3.07 I believe. I just bought it this month. Everything works fine internally on the synth, and it does receive program changes, so the MIDI In clearly is working, and the OS chip installed fine. But I can’t edit anything in the tone or patch parameters via CTRLR.

In the MIDI menu of the JX, I have set everything to “Recv,” which should mean that it is getting messages in for SysEx and CC messages. I have set all of the MIDI channels to “3” (upper, lower, and control), and I set CTRLR up to output on channel 3 for this panel. Still, no dice.

CTRLR works with my other synths in the rig. I have no idea why it’s not working with the JX-10…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by midiquestions.
                    robohymn
                    Participant

midiquestions, I know you’re not asking me, but here’s something to try — there’s a (very) old program called JX-Edit, still works on Windows 7/64-bit (Win XP compatibility mode) and still works great (for me anyway) as a patch editor for a Vecoven JX (except it doesn’t handle most patch factors, just editing for tones). You can get it here (it’s a Wayback Machine link, the page seems to be down but the downloads are still available from Wayback):

https://web.archive.org/web/20141021024646/http://members.iquest.net/~twilight/utils.html

Anyway maybe check if that’ll edit parameters on your JX, works here on mine, very simple to set up.

If you use Reaper, I made a bunch of little JSFX controllers for different parameters (one for filters, one for envelopes, etc), they’re very simple and work great, will upload them to Reaper stash site if you want them.

Also does the Ctrlr panel update when you press a patch button combo on the JX?

opuswerk
                      Participant
                        • ★★

@midiquestions:

I also had issues with setting the channels on the MKS70. I believe I had to reset everything to channel 1 for it to work. I didn’t dig too much into this though. Could you see if it’s working with channel 1?
                        It could be that you need to replace the strings in the sysex messages to the correct unit, but I thought Vecoven’s OS was smart enough to avoid this trap…
                        The best would be to monitor your MIDI input and change a value on the synth, and check if the beginning bytes of the string match with what the panel is sending.

@robohymn
                        :
                        I was trying to do stuff like this, but didn’t really succeed. I suppose one should do some Lua to work around that limitation. I suppose maybe @atom could chip in here?
                        Regarding the UI, I’ve been in touch with someone who could do a MUCH better job than me and hoping he’d have some free time at some point to do the panel as well. The previous versions were laid out vertically, but I found while using it, that having the controls laid out in a horizontal fashion and following the signal path from left to right worked better for me. But heh, that’s one of the beauties of CTRLR, everyone can make their own 😀

midiquestions
                        Participant

@midiquestions:

I also had issues with setting the channels on the MKS70. I believe I had to reset everything to channel 1 for it to work. I didn’t dig too much into this though. Could you see if it’s working with channel 1?
                          It could be that you need to replace the strings in the sysex messages to the correct unit, but I thought Vecoven’s OS was smart enough to avoid this trap…
                          The best would be to monitor your MIDI input and change a value on the synth, and check if the beginning bytes of the string match with what the panel is sending.

@opuswerk

I e-mailed Fred Vecoven today, and he also suggested the Channel 1 fix. I haven’t tried it yet but will do so later today.

@robohymn

Thank you for your input! As long as it is friendly and informed (which it was), I am always up for it. And I do use Reaper, so I will check into that once I get all this working.

I will try more MIDI monitoring if I don’t see any improvements.

midiquestions
                          Participant

Setting everything to channel 1 instead of channel 3 made it work. That should definitely go in the documentation! 🙂

@robohymn

Is that just a mock-up, or is it a panel you could share? Looks great. I actually found this panel a little hard to use (though still usable) because the controls for Tone 1 and Tone 2 are identical, and I think that setting them to different colors would make it even better.

robohymn
                            Participant

Hi opuswerk, I agree, I think a vertical layout could be a bit more intuitive. It’ll take me a while, but I’m inspired to actually learn Ctrlr/Lua and make my own rather than ride on the shoulders of giants :). midiquestions has asked that I upload your panel with the new colours — would you mind? Don’t want it to look like I’m taking credit for the underlying code. Or I could send it to you to post it, whatever you like.

Hi midiquestions, glad it’s working for you. The image I posted is just a recolouring of opuswerk’s panel, just wanted to make the A and B separation a little more obvious and a few other small fixes. I’m not comfortable uploading it without his permission, but if he doesn’t mind, I will, note I haven’t changed any of the underlying code (the important part), that’s 100% his.

Anyway I’ve made a few more changes so it looks pretty spiffy I think, don’t think I’ll change anything else. See in my posts below that I’m trying to figure out how to get the chromatic shift knobs working a bit more intuitively, might just cannibalize some code for them from Possemo’s SuperJX 4.0 panel (if he’s OK with that) or see if atom will help, as opuswerk suggested. Really it’s not a big deal, just need to understand that 0-23 (as seen in output reading in yellow at the top) is upper 2 octaves, and 104-127 is lower 2 octaves.

Attaching an image of the probably-final version of the GUI recolour I’ve done. Happy to upload it if opuswerk’s fine with it:

Attachments:
                              opuswerk
                              Participant
                                • ★★

@robohym: please upload your version. As I posted earlier, I’d love to have a proper GUI for it, inspired by this:

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by opuswerk.
                                Attachments:

robohymn
                                Participant

Here it is. I’ve had a listen to that JX8P emulation you posted an image of, it’s bloody close to the real thing.

I sorted out the chromatic shift slider problem (but didn’t put it in your panel) — it turns out it’s just a matter of using a uiFixedSlider and manipulating the values in its values field, works great. I’m putting one together (slowly) called “JX minion” that’ll have a kind of “auto-chord” feature — pick a chord from a drop-down and it’ll tune the oscillators accordingly, instant min7, maj7, sus4, etc.

Anyway, here’s the recoloured version of opuswerk’s paenl. All the best.

Attachments:
                                  opuswerk
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★

Hi all,

I’ve fixed some of the Lua, which should make the panel snappier and the modulators update better on MIDI dumps if you’re using a not so good MIDI interface.

Would love to integrate your chromatic shifter too robohymn, if you’re ok with that.

Attachments:

axxex
                                    Participant
                                      • Replies: 2
                                      • Total: 2

Got the PWM 4.06 mod and I’m programming and tweaking something, I’m on OSX 10.8.9 and cubase pro 8.5.1
                                      Im getting some bugs on VCA controls like it doesn’t really mute the volume, if i set it to 0 i can still listen the DCOs
                                      Is it normal?

Possemo
                                      Participant
                                        • Topics: 14
                                        • Replies: 638
                                        • Total: 652
                                        • ★★★

Hi axxex. This is a thread about Opuswerks MKS-70 panel (for OS1.08 and OS3.x), not mine (the SuperJX OS4.x panel). So maybe we better discuss this on another thread or with facebook messenger. The bugs you encounter could be because you use the plugin version of Ctrlr. Please try the standalone ver of Ctrlr.

axxex
                                        Participant

Oooops! 🙂
                                          Ok, lol, i will try on the SA version and msg you about osx test!
                                          Thnx man for your work and support!

Hi axxex. This is a thread about Opuswerks MKS-70 panel (for OS1.08 and OS3.x), not mine (the SuperJX OS4.x panel). So maybe we better discuss this on another thread or with facebook messenger. The bugs you encounter could be because you use the plugin version of Ctrlr. Please try the standalone ver of Ctrlr.

directionless
                                          Participant

Thanks very much for this @ all!! It’s working quite well for me (using last posted beta) and I enjoy being able to filter sweep both voices on a BCR2000 without an MKS-70 custom firmware.

directionlessmusic.com

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 147 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 53 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr