key on/off highlight note on uiMidiKeyboard pls?

Home Forums Development Change requests key on/off highlight note on uiMidiKeyboard pls?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

I know once upon a time in ctrlr this worked.

I’d like to see the uiMidiKeyboard visualize what notes are being triggered externally when theres a note on/off message coming in.

I suggest that for rack MIDI devices/synths that dont have an onboard MIDI keyboard (hence the rack 🙂 you give the uiMIDIkeyboard modulator a property in the far right property panel where you specify the MIDI in device which would be trigger note on/off for this panel instance. This way you’re not relying on the main ctrlr midi in/ctrlr device settings as they might not necessarily be where key on/off are coming from.. it could be triggered from a DAW.. so maybe when ctrlr panels are loaded as a vst/au, the uiMidiKeyboard highlights notes triggered from teh DAW driving it always, in addition to the optional property in the property panel as obviously sometimes people will be triggering the vst/

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

For this to work i’ll need to create my own custom keyboard component, i’ll copy this off JUCE but i need to re-write it. But i’ll do that.

msepsis
        Participant
          • ★★★

great. I know this was working before. A bunch of mwave users have been asking for that feature back so they get visual feedback when a note on their midi kb controller is pressed.

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

This was never working, there were always duplicate events, though they were tightly timeded so it seemed like it was working but it never was. There is no simple solution with the way JUCE Is built, i posted a question on the JUCE forum about this here: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11069 if someone can suggest a way out of this without re-writing the MidiKeyboardComponent code i’ll do that. Otherwise i need to implement my own (i’d really rather not).

msepsis
            Participant
              • ★★★

I just wanted to bring this topic back from the dead as well.

Jules’ last reply to the thread you referenced says
              “Well, it was never designed for multiple sources, I’m afraid. Not sure how you’d make it do that without some redesigning.”

Frankly – if you have to choose one or the other I’d suggest loose the highlight/mouseover color when triggering notes with your mouse. Of course that’s my subjective opinion but it doesn’t look like the color changes anyway when you actually trigger a note with the GUI kb… you just get a mouseover highlight color which I dont really care about. It’s cool but if it comes at the cost of LOOSING the ability to highlight notes on the same GUI kb when triggering notes via an external device its not worth it. I’d much rather get visual feedback when triggering notes from any connected/configured external MIDI (REAL) keyboard.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Change requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 69 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr