LEXICON MPX100

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr LEXICON MPX100

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Possemo
    Participant
      • Topics: 14
      • Replies: 638
      • Total: 652
      • ★★★

I have to say that the midi implementation of the MPX series is a big mess. E.g. Yamaha REV-500 is much more thought-out: https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/318469/REV500E.pdf
      It even responds to a bunch of easy cc’s – anyway let’s look at the Lexicon:

Yes that’s right: When you want to edit e.g. “Chamber” a program using the chamber (algorithm?!) has to be selected otherwise the MPX will crash. That leaves me to the question – what are algorithms in th MPX context? There are 11 algorithms selectable by midi-sysex (0 to 10). There is explained nowhere what these algos are… wtf?! There are much more program families:

Plate • Gate/Inv • Hall • Chamber • Ambience • Room • Tremolo • Rotary • Chorus • Flange • Detune • Pitch • Peak Expansion • Compression • Tape Saturation…

So this is does not match. Maybe you can read on the display which algorithm is active. As this all isn’t properly documented it’s all just guesswork. I attached a modified panel. There are some fixes in the graphics but note that it is very hard to rearrange tabs in Ctrlr so I left it as is. I added a tab “system/misc” with altered values. No idea if it works – just try it out.

I would change all ModulatorCustomIndex’es to the following format:
      If the first “quartet of numbers” is 0003 it tells you that three quartets will follow, like this:

0003 0004 0000 0005

If the first “quartet of numbers” is 0004 four quartets will follow. Delete everything after the correct number of quartets. E.g. this one is faulty:

0003 0004 0001 0006 0000 0000 0019

It should look like this:

0003 0004 0001 0006

I cannot not test this as I don’t have an MPX device to try it out so maybe I am wrong.

Attached the panel and a modified midi documentation, cut down to the mpx550, all other mpx addresses deleted. Without a comprehensive documentation it does not make much sense if I do some more work trying to help you on the panel – alas.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kims
      Participant
        • Topics: 1
        • Replies: 15
        • Total: 16

Ok but i noticed that yamaha wrote “*1) Ask Yamaha service representative” 🙂 i know sound quest have an yamaha rev500 editor, but theres no adjustment of knobs in it
        like there is for my t.c electronic m3000 using sound diver 3.0.4, (its a kickass editor!) neither they have adjustment of knobs in it for rev500

both are only sysex dumps (save presets) for rev500

regarding mpx550 on the algorithm – i thought the same, but when jbeuckm´s mpx100 editor works(?), then it must be like that or what 🙂
        maybe thats the whole problem – mpx550 dont know which algorithm is used and then it freeze/overloads
        the algorithm numbers are all the same….hmmm 🙂

i could also try to make a knob from 1-10 with the possiblty to change algorithm, in Chamber etc

i cant see any midiinformation on the panel when changing algorithm on the mpx550, it has many diff. presets for example Chamber (small chamber, large chamber etc) and to make it worse – combined with other effects

thank you for the help i will try them out

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by kims.
        Possemo
        Participant
          • Topics: 14
          • Replies: 638
          • Total: 652
          • ★★★

Oh yea I see. So the rev500 midi implementation just looks nice, but won’t deliver much… well :[] but Lexicon’s MPX midi isn’t very glorious either. There must be a reason why there is not one single editor for the MPX series, I mean apart from the Ctrlr MPX100 panel. Maybe the MPX 100 is less complex and therefore less prone to crash.

It would be interesting to see if the knobs “algorithm” and the “program select” listbox of my modified panel are doing anything sensefull. If you would know which algorithm you must select for e.g. the Chamber tab it would be possible to make a script which changes the algorithm automatically when you select the corresponding tab.

kims
          Participant

thank you for the much nicer looking panel Possemo! 🙂

it is now much better, not finishd though

There was some sysex that had to be removed and added 🙂

I had to remove the Presetmenu in the “System/misc” it crashed the mpx550 heavily! that was hearing digital noise like iiiiiieeeeeooooozzzzzclickclickclick 🙂

I added the Dynamics too 🙂

Very important that you load the Algorithm aka Ambiance or Plate etc first on the MPX550 before editing the algorithm on Ctrl, or it will freeze/overload if you try to edit other

I will test it again later just to be sure, i will look more into exactly which Preset i have to choose on the mpx550

before this editor was made MPX550 was atcually nothing special, allthough its still a bit dark sound, but better than before, even though it was the latest Lexicon with the famous LexiChip inside
            Now – it kicks ass! 🙂

I understand why Lexicon didnt add the extra knobs to it, because i think they wouldnt have sold so much with their new products after mpx-series 🙂

I will look in REV500 some day, IF its possible with their midi implentation

Attachments:
            mpl
            Participant
              • Replies: 7
              • Total: 8

Ive got a mpx550 and I’m very interested in this,Ive had it a while and keep coming back to it.As mentioned its a bit “dark” in character,but i feel I’ve never stretched it to its full potential. So a editor would be great.I can test for you but my ctrl skills are minimal
              Thank you for what youve done so far.
              mike

Ctrlr 5.3.198,mac osx 10.13.6,LogicX,Reaktor,E4xt,TG77,M1000,MKS70,Morpheus,Ks5000,Pulse,R8m,etc

kims
              Participant

dont thank me i “just” added the knobs 🙂 i couldnt have done it without jbeuckm and possemo 🙂
                my ctrl skills are minimal too thats why i used jbeuckm mpx100 editor from the start 🙂
                i also have the tc electronic m3000, but also come back to mpx550 – i like both but the 550 have more punch in the reverb
                the editor does make it a bit lighter in reverb

you can do some awesome effects in it now, the echo effects kicks ass, but it takes time to find them via the knobs

its far from finishd so prepare to turn the unit on and of a few times 🙂

hope it works for you too

kims
                Participant

I made an update on it, (added which Preset to use, so it doesnt crash so often) feel free to help out on the rest of them 🙂

Attachments:
                  mpl
                  Participant
                    • Replies: 7
                    • Total: 8

Thanks for the update and to all who contributed.
                    My main problem is i use the digital ins and outs to route clock to my mixer and when it locks up my mixer plays up a bit,So anything that minimises lock ups is good for me.

Ctrlr 5.3.198,mac osx 10.13.6,LogicX,Reaktor,E4xt,TG77,M1000,MKS70,Morpheus,Ks5000,Pulse,R8m,etc

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 70 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr