make modulators appear when needed?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr make modulators appear when needed?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    human fly
    Participant
      • Topics: 124
      • Replies: 1070
      • Total: 1194
      • ★★★★

can modulators be made to appear only when needed?
      or change, depending on another parameter?

or for example, if it is a wave bank, have one combo
      waveform name list if bank1 is selected, and have
      another if bank2 is selected?

Puppeteer
      Participant
        • Topics: 16
        • Replies: 185
        • Total: 201
        • ★★

[code]
        — Change Visibility
        panel:getModulatorByName(“SlidA”):getComponent():setVisible(true)
        panel:getModulatorByName(“FortSlidA”):getComponent():setVisible(false)
        panel:getModulatorByName(“FortSlidA”):setPropertyInt(“vstIndex”,848)
        panel:getModulatorByName(“SlidA”):setPropertyInt(“vstIndex”,48)
        [/code]

The VST Index changes I used in my panel to make sure that things mapped properly to default controllers, so that moving controllers modified a slider on screen, rather than a hidden one.

The Puppeteer
        http://godlike.com.au

human fly
        Participant
          • ★★★★

here, i’ve got a mini-panel here to illustrate (not a working
          panel, it’s basically a drawing)

this just shows the hierarchy of choices:
          ‘structure’ selection determines whether S or P for each partial,
          and from that whether ‘Wave’ or ‘PCM’ is displayed. and there, you
          get either square/saw or pcm1/pcm2(with respective lists)

i kinda tried to compile what you showed me, but obviously didn’t
          get it to work… 🙂

i anticipate a series of 13 conditions for selecting S/P configuration,
          first of all..and then the rest. i have a semi-inelegant workaround
          at the moment that should work, but it doesn’t look as good as it could.

Puppeteer
          Participant
            • ★★

You’ll need to do them in order.

So for the Structure control, you’ll need a method in the luaModulatorValueChange parameter.

Pretty much

if panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure”):getValue() == 0 then

panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial_Wave”):getComponent():setVisible(true)
            panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial_PCM”):getComponent():setVisible(false)

elseif panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure”):getValue() == 1 then

panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial_Wave”):getComponent():setVisible(false)
            panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial_PCM”):getComponent():setVisible(true)

etc.

Then for the two controls Partial_Wave and Partial_PCM do the same thing to determine Square/Saw or PCM1/PCM2.

The Puppeteer

human fly
            Participant
              • ★★★★

yes, ok – i’ll get back onto that. i’ve done a little sidestep
              to get on with something else, which is what i usually do when
              i get stuck.

funny, i can build things like this really quickly with synthedit
              and logic combinations. maybe if i can think of some hypothetical
              AND/OR/XOR/NOT etc situations we can do a thread on that sometime.

i’ll see if i can get the first bit working this evening.

human fly
              Participant
                • ★★★★

i’m looking at it like this (where are the code thingies now?)
                >for the first 2 choices, both partial ‘Wave'(‘S’)combos must appear:
                (but how do i say ‘and’ for the second result, for partial2? or is it
                ok like that?)

— 00
                if
                panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 0 then

panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial1_Wave”):getComponent():setVisible(true)
                panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial1_PCM”):getComponent():setVisible(false)

panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial2_Wave”):getComponent():setVisible(true)
                panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial2_PCM”):getComponent():setVisible(false)
                — 01
                elseif
                panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 1 then

etc.
                :
                :
                end

another question: do i have to be careful how i use returns and gaps
                in text? i don’t know how much leeway i have, nor which characters
                i must exclude – as syntax elements: is ‘&’ permissible? if i want
                to call ‘Structure1+2’ 1&2, for example? is ‘and’ reserved for logic
                and-ing? (and many more questions besides…)

human fly
                Participant
                  • ★★★★

ok, so i think i’ve got the ‘body’ of the method looking ok:
                  my 13 ‘Structure’ options selecting which combo shows for each side.
                  but i still don’t know how to ‘wrap’ it with Header and End, and when
                  i try ‘save and compile’, it is sending back this error:

*can’t seem to attach files, so i’ve uploaded to boxnet*:
                  text:
                  https://app.box.com/s/xe1mojziexmiz3gzuu2i8l05avxfxs7r
                  demo panel:
                  https://app.box.com/s/zsawga5etw6kghkkdfrp9j2pm7fpcg25

(each entry has a ren’d description: midi value, display value, and the S/P
                  choices for each side’s combo view)
                  ——————————————————————————-
                  Compile: Structure12_showCombo – FAILED
                  ERROR: [string “Structure12_showCombo”]:9: unexpected symbol near ‘â’

(i just pasted my Lua in between the brackets () after ‘function’ (in blue)
                  -line ‘6’ is where there is: ‘Structure12_showCombo = function(if’ )

— Called when a modulator value changes
                  — @mod http://ctrlr.org/api/class_ctrlr_modulator.html
                  — @value new numeric value of the modulator

— Structure12_showCombo
                  — 00_01_SS
                  if
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 0 then

— 01_02_SS
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 1 then

— 02_03_PS
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 2 then

panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial1_Wave”):getComponent():setVisible(false)
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial1_PCM”):getComponent():setVisible(true)

— 03_04_PS
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 3 then

— 04_05_SP
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 4 then

panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial2_Wave”):getComponent():setVisible(false)
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Partial2_PCM”):getComponent():setVisible(true)
                  — 05_06_PP
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 5 then

— 06_07_PP
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 6 then

— 07_08_SS
                  elseif
                  panel:getModulatorByName(“Structure12”):getValue() == 7 then

— 08_09_PP
                  elseif

— 09_10_SS
                  elseif

— 10_11_PS
                  elseif

— 11_12_SP
                  elseif

— 12_13_PP
                  elseif

end

Puppeteer
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Line 6 should look more like this.

Structure12_showCombo = function (–[[CtrlrModulator –]] mod, –[[number –]] value)

The Puppeteer

human fly
                    Participant
                      • ★★★★

ok. literally, you mean?
                      i’ll try that. thanks.

it would be *really* good if there was a repertory/reference of most
                      commonly used Lua stuff for Ctrlr here – looking at the JUCE site is
                      mindboggling, i gave up. it merits its own section. i suppose the
                      best way is to look at existing examples, but i don’t usually know
                      what’s going on, or what is possible. learning bit by bit though.

as you see, i don’t even know yet how to sort out the basic headers
                      and enders.

human fly
                      Participant
                        • ★★★★

mm didn’t work yet – getting same message. here is exactly
                        what i have in the compiler view:

https://app.box.com/s/fmwypr9xjrhnzyrxqk404g82rk7p2mjp

(called v02, realised last one was v03..never mind)

error message is:

Compile: Structure12_showCombo – FAILED
                        ERROR: [string “Structure12_showCombo”]:6: or ‘…’ expected near ‘â’

i replaced previous ‘function’ line with yours.
                        do i need to declare modulators or anything like that?
                        i don’t know what ‘â’ means.

human fly
                        Participant
                          • ★★★★

(i’m also looking now at the layers and tabs demo, – where i can’t
                          seem to get the slider version to switch tabs. i’m definitely going
                          to study atom’s examples now. shame that the D50 panel seems to be
                          inaccessible via normal panel unlock..i still don’t understand how
                          they’ve hidden the tabs..)

human fly
                          Participant
                            • ★★★★

YESSSSSS !!! >8-)
                            little victory dance…i was sitting here muttering “#!%!..Ctrlr..”
                            and then i had a look at some of the demo panels, which address some
                            similar issues: DEMO layers and Tabs, and DEMO switching tabs with Lua,
                            and:
                            i realised that all my <"> that i had pasted in from my notepad file were
                            in RED, with the in-between still in BLACK, – in the example Lua’s
                            it is all in PURPLE…and noticed that if i re-typed these <"> in the Lua
                            Editor, the entry turned PURPLE.
                            ALSO, main thing, after ‘function’ it should just have (mod, value), and
                            not all the other stuff. it seems errors are shown in RED ??
                            so:
                            i’ve just gone through, changed them all, and got one last error telling
                            me it was missing an END after the END for the ‘conditions’, so i put
                            and extra END at the end, save+compiled, AND GOT THE OK. woo.hoo.
                            and even better, it bl**dy works. and that’s very satisfying, i must say.
                            ha ha ha.
                            one more Lua NAILED. thanks for your help !

BTW: i cannot get DEMO Layers and Tabs to work, with the Horiz Slider.
                            the combo changes the Tabs, but not the Slider.

HERE is the demo panel(zip). it isn’t selecting the right combos
                            yet, not sure why, but it is working, showing just one of each for
                            each value change – need to check it through:
                            (my values are still shown in RED, so maybe i need to enter those again?)

https://app.box.com/s/mvw9bjebq6n4n5erx3ubl7648ljx1ah2

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by human fly.
                            human fly
                            Participant
                              • ★★★★

okaaaay…so i had a wrongly numbered condition, a couple of errors
                              in the true/false options, and most stupidly, had the wrong ‘value min/max’,
                              duh, set to 0 to 13, instead of 0 to 12.. and now that’s fixed, and it’s
                              working ticketyboo:
                              changeview v04.panel(zip)
                              https://app.box.com/s/b2adaofc9jkg1aci3d4845rftusd2jko

unreasonably proud LOL of this micro achievement.
                              game changer for me. i do now, of course have to figure out how
                              it will actually work in terms of sending MIDI, and figure out
                              the next step, with the PCM list selections, which should be simpler.

check it out, anyway, it’s quite nice, i reckon.
                              i still don’t understand how UITabs are made invisible in
                              some panelz. that’s another subject.

human fly
                              Participant
                                • ★★★★

rrrright, have a look at this one. not quite there yet,
                                i’m switching the PCM 1/2 lists with the Wave/Bank select,
                                but it needs to change, so that PCM options only appear
                                when ‘P’/Bank is the choice. i think a square/saw graphic
                                should appear when the choice is ‘S’/Wave.
                                getting there…

https://app.box.com/s/d3fyllt7dgmffpiis29rv1bnl2mnlnsz
                                changeview v07.zip

human fly
                                Participant
                                  • ★★★★

sorry *DOH* … realised you can’t see that, you are missing
                                  the graphic for Structure. here it is:

https://app.box.com/s/l1m3g35g94lkq2k5d3b29w6ahhae82z3

2.6kb Structure.png

just put it in the same folder, add it to Resources.
                                  sorry about that… :o)

human fly
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★★★

another version; put both PCM lists in a Group that
                                    is shown/hidden according to Structure selection;

but choices on ‘Wave’ and on ‘PCM’ must be synchronised
                                    -Wave/Bank are the same parameter, so if ‘square’ is selected
                                    PCM1 should be selected when the Structure choice switches
                                    between them

changeview v11.zip
                                    https://app.box.com/s/439swie9g9wghh16o6drwca8vm5rr9ot

Puppeteer
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★

Glad you got it working

The –[[ stuff –]] are in line comments. They can be omitted, but are useful for documenting your code.

Using
                                      — stuff
                                      Will comment the entire line

The Puppeteer

human fly
                                      Participant
                                        • ★★★★

(yes, thanks. i sussed out the commenting thing, had not noticed it
                                        ‘in-line’ – also had not anticipated that pasting in from a notepad
                                        file disables “name” – the apostrophes become red until you re-enter
                                        them.)

HERE: Final working version:
                                        https://app.box.com/s/4cwkdy1xpkho3yra8vvfg55yb2uqekjk
                                        changeview v12.zip

fresh morning inspiration, i had another look at the Layers and Tabs DEMO,
                                        and ‘Linked Modulators’ – this provided the solution to synchronising
                                        ‘Wave’/’Bank’ choice/value. i’ve also added a combo dropdown linked both
                                        ways to the Structure graphic selector (which shows the Partial combinations).
                                        this is the version worth looking round. (have now also figured out how that
                                        DEMO prefab works for showing Layers. !most interesting! – this has been a
                                        very useful little learning curve)

(so there ARE lots of useful methods already included in the program ! )

Job Done.

edit: here, as a exe (64bit) – i think i’ll make the graphic passive now,
                                        it’s a bit fiddly as a slider; just use the list selector.

https://app.box.com/s/jirwcqfk9r2i6c9gw0n2rh4l9f04y8t8

oh yeah: some tips on making Radio buttons? ie: one button per option?
                                        (lazy question, just to save some time figuring out how it’s done)

human fly
                                        Participant
                                          • ★★★★

if you are following this, … here’s a new demo, with
                                          panels showing/hiding/swapping for option selections.
                                          edited previous version. included *.panel in there this
                                          time, with a 64bit exe version:

https://app.box.com/s/qgk0hxh0y5nyk3y04ak4a6e1rdst3be2

edited the lua method for structure12/34

maybe i need to nul on startup? as panel shows both views.
                                          seems ok in standalone.(nb: this is still a rough, just
                                          checking appearance/action. sysex messages not corrected;
                                          looking at alternative way to set out parameters)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                        There is currently 0 users and 78 guests online
                                        No users are currently active
                                        Forum Statistics
                                        Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                        Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                        Ctrlr