MIDI clock, BPM, MIDI clock

Home Forums General Programming MIDI clock, BPM, MIDI clock

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    proton
    Participant
      • Topics: 19
      • Replies: 94
      • Total: 113
      • ★★

Hi again,

maybe this is an easy fix but today was not the day meant for me to find the solution 😉
      I need to display actual BPM value that comes from DAW. I saw on some panels from Atom that he is implementing this so I figured this is possible.
      I am sending MIDI clock from Ableton, I route it to MIDI THRU and sill there is no sign of life or any signal reaching Ctrlr. I am sure that the signal is present on the midi out of Ableton (checked with OX and it is clearly sending series of 24 ticks every Quarter note) but none of Atoms panels are responding to it in any way and no BPM reading gets updated. Any clue why this is happening or what panels should I look into for some inspiration?
      Thanks in advance!

Puppeteer
      Participant
        • Topics: 16
        • Replies: 185
        • Total: 201
        • ★★

MIDI Clock should be passed. There’s some functions like isMidiClock to identify these messages. BPM isn’t passed through MIDI though. This would have to be part of the host parameters, if it is passed at all.

The Puppeteer
        http://godlike.com.au

proton
        Participant
          • ★★

Hi Puppeteer,
          thanks for chiming in. Can you please elaborate on what do you mean by isMidiCLock? Couldn’t find anything on this.
          My DAW is sending MIDI clock (0x78 value) but nothing is recieving and interpreting it in Ctrlr.
          Cheers!

proton
          Participant
            • ★★

ditto

Puppeteer
            Participant
              • Topics: 16
              • Replies: 185
              • Total: 201
              • ★★

https://sourceforge.net/p/ctrlrv4/code/HEAD/tree/nightly/Source/MIDI/CtrlrMidiMessage.cpp#l243

If you want to utilize this message in Ctrlr, you’ll need to check for it in a midiReceive method that triggered when the panel receives MIDI.

Be aware though that timer functions in Ctrlr are unlikely to be accurate, as the timer can get interrupted by other things on the panel (like changing modulator values).

Ctrlr should pass the midi Clock messages through through from the host to the device, if MIDI Thru is turned on in the MIDI configuration of the panel.

The Puppeteer
              http://godlike.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 77 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr