MIDI Device ID's

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr MIDI Device ID's

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    theShiZa
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 7
      • Total: 10

Hey,
      I noticed for my Roland TD-30KV drums it lets me change the Device ID for when there are 2 or more of the same unit connected in a MIDI chain.
      Is it true SysEx doesn’t use MIDI channels for communicating but instead it uses Device ID’s ??

My TB-3 doesn’t let me change it’s Device ID, so if my friend brang his TB-3 & hooked it up in a MIDI chain along with my TB-3 & I want to send SysEx to only 1 of them, how do I do this if they have the same Device ID which isn’t changeable ?

I know MIDI chains aren’t to common these days & usually MIDI devices would be connected parallel to each other therefore there would be no conflicts even if they all had the same Device ID’s, but I want to know what would happen in situations like this as I automatically assumed Device ID’s are changeable on all or most hardware with MIDI.

Thanx!
      Ash.

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

There seems to be no guideline nor standards to Sysex implementation. Some synths of some manufacturers do use midi channels in sysex (example: Roland MKS-80). But most of them don’t. Midi CC’s do use midi channels by standard. So if you have two identical devices in a chain this works flawlessly.

theShiZa
        Participant

Possemo to the rescue once again, appreciate it.

Hmmm ok. So just to clarify, if I have 2 TB-3’s in a chain with the same Deivce ID & it’s not changeable & I send a SysEx to them then it’s badluck ?? They’ll both respond to the SysEx message ??

I’m pretty sure Roland TB-3’s don’t use MIDI channels for SysEx because in it’s SysEx chart, it only mentions Device ID in the Data Set examples & no mention of MIDI channel at all.

Thanx again,
          Ash.

Possemo
          Participant
            • ★★★

The Device ID is probably there to recognize the device being a TB-3. So I guess, yes both units will respond and there will be no way to change this. The provided CC’s won’t do the trick?:

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TB-3_MI_2.pdf

theShiZa
            Participant

Sir Possemo. Ok I understand confirmed. Yes the CC’s are not a problem & are way less hassles than SysEx but the TB-3 has 2 charts & the 2nd chart shows numerous SysEx Parameters which just can’t be accessed via CC’s hence why I am learning to make my own custom panel & why I was asking about Device ID’s.

I have attached the TB-3’s Sysex Chart, which now I understand MOST of it but there are a few questions I want to ask about it & don’t worry my questions are nothing to do with Device ID’s lol.

I’m learning pretty quick though because it was only few weeks ago I did not have ANY clue what the SysEx Chart meant.

Thanks Sir Possemo!
              Ash.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by theShiZa.
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Possemo
              Participant
                • ★★★

yea sysex is not that complicated once you get the hang of it. Just go ahead and ask if you have questions. I like the TB-3, it could eventually be the better choice than a xoxbox, thinking of maybe getting one cheap.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 96 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr