MIDI timing issues in Ableton/OSX

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr MIDI timing issues in Ableton/OSX

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    thommy
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 3

Has anyone else noticed any timing issues when sending note data through the plugin?

In this example I’m using an empty Ableton 9 project on my Macbook Pro

If I make a midi track containing a looped click and send it to a hardware synth i get a steady click. No issues there.

However if I put that same midi track onto the channel hosting the Ctrlr VST plugin for that synth, the timing is very poor and that click is not in the least bit steady.

The MIDI data being forwarded through the plugin is suffering somehow. Does this mean that automation data sent through the plugin is going to suffer too?

The alternative is to send midi notes and controller automation data from the sequencer, and then use Ctrlr just as a standalone app for sound design and patch saving. But then what is the point of having the plugin if it does not allow for your hard synth to behave like a soft synth?

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 80
        • Replies: 793
        • Total: 873
        • ★★★

There’s a panel property to adjust the global midi delay for midi messages. You will get good timing with lower values (1 – 5).

I just tested a setting of 20 ms with a panel I’m working on, and it transform a single track in Ableton with some eight notes and two automation lines into something really chaotic, notes can stop sounding for some seconds and then start sounding really fast. With a delay of 5 ms timing is correct.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
      There is currently 0 users and 46 guests online
      No users are currently active
      Forum Statistics
      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
      Ctrlr