Modulators without component?

Home Forums Development Change requests Modulators without component?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dasfaker
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 80
      • Replies: 793
      • Total: 873
      • ★★★

Hi Atom

We talked about this in some topic that I can’t remember and I think it deserve it’s own topic.

I would like to have some kind of modulator with the component part removed, or at least with just the indispensable options.

I think that multitimbral synths should be managed from a single panel that could deal with all its multitimbral parts, as I’m finding some issues using a panel for each part.  But the problem is the huge amount of modulators needed to do this, and the more modulators the more loading and saving times.

So the idea is to make the panel for one multitimbral part with normal modulators (those that will be visible) and all the others with the “cut down” modulators and manage them with LUA.

Is this possible?

zeoka
      Participant
        • Topics: 73
        • Replies: 466
        • Total: 539
        • ★★★

Hi Dasfaker !

First your panel is beatiful monster !

I’m in your case  i have 24 parts  and i’ve done 1968 mods exported + aprox. 250 mods

I have some difficulties to order perfectectly like i want !!

Ctrlr seems don’t want to export more than 64 mods

I can’t use simple feature like snapshot :because  it’s too long compared to dumps and even i don’t know how ordering the sending

So i’ve seen you use global variable k0 to separate your parts and minimize mod number and gain space to make bigger knobs and have better ergonomy , i suppose you use memorybloc to store and send values to your mods when you switch part .

But you can’t automate 2 filter cutoff in same time ? So you need childs and return to the back with many many more vst index and mods.

I’m aware of the “super modulator” you  talk Atom with integrated childs or something like that ..

Cool for 24 filter cutoff in one or a pattern edtitor with 128 steps or different fx mods that use same sysex and evitate to increase mod number…..

dasfaker
        Keymaster
          • ★★★

Hi Zeoka

Ctrlr seems don’t want to export more than 64 mods

Yo need to copy a file named “Ctrlr.overrides” that is inside folder Doc in your Ctrl folder and paste it in the same folder where Ctrlr.exe is located. Rename it to the same name of Ctrlr executable (in my case Ctrlr-Win32.overrides) and change the line “ctrlrMaxExportedVstParameters=”255” to the number of modulators you need to automate.

So i’ve seen you use global variable k0 to separate your parts and minimize mod number and gain space to make bigger knobs and have better ergonomy , i suppose you use memorybloc to store and send values to your mods when you switch part .

My panels can only manage one part at a time. With global variables I can switch from one part to another, but never more than one at the same time. To automate you need separate modulators for each synth parameter. The idea is to use modulators with very few parameters to reduce the memory load.

Try to build a panel with 16 multitimbral parts, each part with more than 500 modulators, and a drum part with more than 4.000 modulators. You end with a panel that have more than 10.000 modulators that loads in several minutes. That’s why I’m requesting this feature.

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

I never intended for a single panel to handle 4K parameters. It’s all XML nodes and properties there is no way to handle this better, i can implement my own custom binary handlers for this and we could have 100K of parameter but it would crash all the time, loads of bugs and not something that’s readable and editable beyond the program itself.

Also don’t expect for Ctrlr to be a miracle in drawing your custom graphics if you load shit load of PNGs with Alpha then expect ANY program to load it slowly. Draw your components yourself (LUA) or use those that Ctrlr provides.

I really don’t think panels should be pretty, they should be usable and easy to navigate unlike the synthesizers they control.

When you export the panel instance as a standalone VST/AU the parameter problem will not occur, that’s what it’s for.

zeoka
            Participant
              • ★★★

Ok i see that’s could be interresting ..

Thank you for the tip about “max exported params”

Ah Atom Hi !

“if you load shit load of PNGs with Alpha” this is exactly what i just do with knobman 😀

dasfaker
              Keymaster
                • ★★★

Atom, have you ever made a panel with more than 1000, 2000 modulators, without custom graphics? Loading times are long, it’s not only the graphics, the more modulators the more time.

That’s why I again ask for modulators with only the basic to handle midi, at least I want to know if it’s possible.

Big problem I’ve encountered using one panel for each multitimbral part in the daw: When the project opens, each panel sends its midi to the synth at the same time, in no ordered way, causing a mess in the synth. Only solution by now is to send each part by hand once the project is opened, something I don’t like.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

I never said it’s impossible i just didn’t implement it, i can do that.

And performance is one issue i really never paid any attention to, there are many places where there should be improvements, i’ll try to get to it sometime.

zeoka
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

“You need to copy a file named “Ctrlr.overrides” that is inside folder Doc in your Ctrl folder and paste it in the same folder where Ctrlr.exe is located. Rename it to the same name of Ctrlr executable (in my case Ctrlr-Win32.overrides) and change the line “ctrlrMaxExportedVstParameters=”255″ to the number of modulators you need to automate.”

Hello

This is working for the exe when i see “préférences” now but how i do for dll versions: it seems they are not afected by this file ? They’re still limited to 64 params
                    Tried with reaper,bloxpander the vsti was open too (near 2000 params) so they’re not limited

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by zeoka.
                    dasfaker
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★

The dll version exports all automatable modulators of the panel. With rev. 1349 this works fine on XP.

Atom, in fact all modulators are automatable (even those that has unchecked the option “Export parameter to VST host”) in this revision.

zeoka
                      Participant
                        • ★★★

on my w7 the dll’s are limited to 64

However i’ve tried to copy and renames overrides files into vst folder and that’s working fine now but i’m in a wrapper mode “this is a dumb wrapper” the window is different

zeoka
                        Participant
                          • ★★★
                          wikter
                          Participant
                            • Topics: 5
                            • Replies: 49
                            • Total: 54

well, is there a solution to get more than 64 automatable VSTparameters using Ctrlr VSTplugin??

MVXSynths
                            R3 / MOX6 / Electribe2 / Electribe R MkII / Electribe MX / K4R / BCR2000 / XStation61 / XStation25 / Virus Rack / Chameleon / Proteus 2500 / RM1X / KN2600

atom
                            Keymaster
                              • ★★★★★

Like i wrote many times before.

It is possible, how to achieve the goal differs between hosts.

BUT once you create your panel and export it as a standalone instance, that issue should be gone, all the parameters from the exported panel should be visible in the host.

This issue happens only in normal multi-panel mode. It’s the VST sepcification that’s faulty not Ctrlr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The forum ‘Change requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                            There is currently 0 users and 70 guests online
                            No users are currently active
                            Forum Statistics
                            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                            Ctrlr