Oberheim matrix 1000 Proposal

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Oberheim matrix 1000 Proposal

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Bomma72
    Participant
      • Topics: 20
      • Replies: 68
      • Total: 88

So it was my intention to do an Matrix 1000 panel when I finished my Kawai k3m panel (about 75% done as of now, I have added lot of functionality including making a GUI for the wave creation function of this synth and lots of graphics work, but this has been a b*tch to say the least). Anyway at this point I am kind of burned out, but I have already done quite a bit of graphic work on this Matrix project, as the graphics are always the fun part for me. (If you want to take a look at my design skill you can check out my MSK-50 panel here.)

Roland MKS-50 Advanced

So I am asking if someone would be willing to work with me on it. Maybe you like to program but don’t like the graphics, or maybe you just want to learn Ctrlr and this would be a way to get started with some help. You would have to do the basic programming aspects (I would help if need be) and I would then take over and basically skin it and add the animations and things. I would also like to add the ability to save patch names to a file, since there are already names for the 800 default patches via PDF, though the physical synth doesn’t save them, Oberheim did name them. They are available online and could be added to a flat file, we could also allow the user to save the name of the first 200 when they create them. I would be willing to program this function if it seems too hard. I feel now with my experience with Ctrlr I could help someone if they are stuck or something seems to hard. I just don’t have the energy to do the whole thing myself right now hence this proposal.

Please let me know if you are interested.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Bomma72.
      • This topic was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Bomma72.
      atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

I think i did that some time ago so i can help. If you have the sysex specs handy post them here, i’ll get you started with the correct sysex formulas and any expressions needed. Then you can do GUI if you’d like.

After that we can move to program dumps.

I never got that device, i always wanted an Oberheim synth.

If there is someone interested with the device at hand, that would be better.

Bomma72
        Participant

Cool, found a page with the specs, and lots of them.

http://www.youngmonkey.ca/nose/audio_tech/synth/Oberheim-Matrix1000.html

here is another one that is updated not sure why.

http://wolzow.mindworks.ee/analog/m1k-midi-spec.htm

I have the 2 of them so testing would not be a problem. Also there are a few old Programs we could look at to see how they arrange things.

Also both of mine have the corrected firmware which I was lucky enough to find someone to burn to eprom chips. If anyone is interested I could point them in the right direction if they want to look into it. This fixes the incorrect Sustain and Amplitude parameters and Evn2 – VCA2. More on the these issues can be found here.

http://wolzow.mindworks.ee/analog/m1k-firmware.htm

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Bomma72.
          clancy
          Participant
            • Topics: 0
            • Replies: 22
            • Total: 22

Hy, i am new in this forum and to ctrlr. I was searching for an editor for my cream-face m1k, then i found this really nice program and this thread. I also would like to offer help for developing this panel.

If there is something i can do, please let me know.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

I’ll try to prepare a skeleton project today and upload it here.

atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

Here is a skeleotn with two DCOs and their SysEx implementation, you can easily create the rest following the SysEx formulas in those DCOs, i’ll be able to do that soon. I don’t have the device so someone needs to test this.

If there is anyone out there interested in making it look a bit nicer, please go ahead, i’ll do the MIDI part only.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                clancy
                Participant

Hello, i´m interested. Monday and Tuesday i´ll have some time to try to put some flesh on that skeleton. As this is my first contact with your fine program (apart from Getting Started Tutorial), i don´t know how far i will get. I´ll give a report mid of next week.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Bomma72
                  Participant

Well I have a lot of the graphics done as far as backgrounds/buttons and sliders. I will try working on it tonight.

opuswerk
                    Participant
                      • Topics: 7
                      • Replies: 102
                      • Total: 109
                      • ★★

Would be very interested in testing this if you need it. Would’ve loved to participate in the panel construction, but i’m afraid it wouldn’t be a wise idea.

http://opuswerk.tumblr.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
                      www.facebook.com/opuswerk

jdieks
                      Participant
                        • Replies: 12
                        • Total: 12

There is a bug where env1 does not fully respond to sysx:

“The filter to envelope modulation modulates the cutoff frequency to envelope 1 by default when editing preset patches. The Matrix 1000 firmware has a bug where envelope 1 sustain isn’t handled over its individual sysex parameter message. The work-around simply sends a complete packet of parameters for the entire voice when sustain is adjusted.”

From this page:
                        http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chaos_matrix

Hope this helps 🙂

clancy
                        Participant

Here is what i did. I had 2 big problems.

I don´t know how to handle those “7bit-signed” bytes, so i filled in the sysex formula and put their value color to red.

The Matrix-Modulation sysex command contains 3 values, i don´t know how to do this.

Beside of those problems i´m not shure of some combo box content.

I would be grateful if someone could help, ore takeover.

@jdieks
                          , you´re right. That´s why Bomma72 wrote about that custom firmware, wich i don´t own as yet.

@opuswerk
                          , cool.

Attachments:
                          atom
                          Keymaster
                            • ★★★★★

I just got the old JSynthlib editor to work. It has all the parameters inside, so i’ll try to reverse engineer the missing stuff.

opuswerk
                            Participant
                              • ★★

Sounds great.
                              In case, I also have access to the Obie editor for the matrix-1000.
                              It pretty much allows to edit everything of the synth. So I could help out if needed.

atom
                              Keymaster
                                • ★★★★★

I re-positionoed some of the stuff so the panel is more usable.

I also changed the FORWARD formulas (only forward) for all the “red-marked” parameters, they should send the proper data now.

They won’t however work with data from the synth, though i’m not sure if the MAtrix1000 is capable of sending single parameter data when the parameters are changhed on the synth itself. The reverse formula should be implemented, i just couldn’t wrap my head around it today, it should be simple enough.

I’ll get to the modulation matrix tomorrow i hope.

Attachments:
                                clancy
                                Participant

Thank you very much. I´m really curios about what you have done (will do). I think the BACKWARD has to be done by requesting the complete edit buffer and then assign the bytes to modulator values. Those byte numbers and the modulater names are listed in the csv file i attached, because the (vst compatible?) 8-character names are not always self explaining. But this is future-music, for now it would be cool to complete the FORWARD formula so we can start testing it on the device. Once again, cordial thanks!

clancy
                                  Participant

Hey atom, that was educational. A good example for your “Expressions in Ctrlr” tutorial.

opuswerk
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★

That really looks awesome. Can’t wait to try it with the synth when i get home. Does it already send the sysex? or is it only the layout that’s there?

clancy
                                      Participant

Try it. May be you’ll be the first. I loaned mine to a friend until next week. But i compared the panel to a freeware standalone editor ( http://dqueffeulou.free.fr/softs/m1000osx.php ). With the new Formulas it does exactly the same.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by clancy.
                                        dk17
                                        Participant
                                          • Replies: 1
                                          • Total: 1

Hi,

I just stumbled across this thread. Two weeks ago I started programming a Matrix-1000 editor with TBStuff on the iPad. What’s not working is the modulation matrix, that is controlled by a sysex message with three variables. Can this be realized with ctrlr? Maybe I can help with this editor, although I don’t have any experience with ctrlr.

Dirk

Bomma72
                                          Participant

Hey, I have two Matrix so I will test this. Sorry I haven’t been very active in this thread as of late, I have been rearranging my rack so everything has been down for a weeks as I was basically servicing all my synth (just cleaning and having removable batteries installed). Anyhow I have been putting everything back in order and should be up and running by the middle of this week. At that point I can start doing the graphical version of this number.

Atom this is a wonderful start. I should be able to complete the graphical part of this project fairly quickly with this! Thanks..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 72 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 71 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr