Oberheim matrix 1000 Proposal

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Oberheim matrix 1000 Proposal

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Bomma72
    Participant
      • Topics: 20
      • Replies: 68
      • Total: 88

Here is a preview of some of the graphical work I have done (LCD/Knobbys in Oberheim motif).
      I am still not happy with the sliders, but they should be done soon. I will start skinning this shortly. I will also look for the sound list I was able to create from the Matrix documentation, so we can use that for the sound selection.

Edit: I keep thinking of things to add.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Bomma72.
      opuswerk
      Participant
        • Topics: 7
        • Replies: 102
        • Total: 109
        • ★★

Hello Atom & Bomma72,

I spent the past 20 minutes playing around with what was already there. Everything seemed to work flawlessly apart from the modulation matrix. It would be great if Ped1, Ped2 and Lev1, Lev2, Lev3 where more clearly indicated so one would know which MIDI CC is connected to what in the automation views.
        The filter is responding in the same way as with other editors, you can’t really go to fast to modulate it otherwise the Matrix freezes, but that’s related to the synth and not to the ctrlr panel in my opinion.
        I did encounter a freeze when assigning the keyboard mode to REASGN, which made the ctrlr panel ui freeze. I couldn’t reproduce that behavior unfortunately, but will keep you posted if something doesn’t work as expected.

i think it’s also time to express my thanks to both of you for doing this and to Atom for having built such a flexible environment.

http://opuswerk.tumblr.com
        www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
        www.facebook.com/opuswerk

atom
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 159
          • Replies: 2945
          • Total: 3104
          • ★★★★★

I uploaded a nightly build and i did the modulation matrix (the part that enables source and dest), the file is in the SVN repo: http://svn.code.sf.net/p/ctrlrv4/code/nightly/Panels/Oberheim%20-%20Matrix%201000.panel

it uses global variables (no LUA is used), please let me know if it works.

clancy
          Participant
            • Topics: 0
            • Replies: 22
            • Total: 22

Hi atom, the latest nightly i was able to find is 1522 (maybe i searched the wrong place), so it worked good up to MM-Bus 5. You accidently put all the MM-Buses on the same path but this is corrected in a minute. Thank You.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

Yeah you are correct but it’s a matter of changing one constant byte per bus. I’ll fix that in the repo asap.

I’ll add the missing modulation buses too (those that are hardcoded).

But does this work for the Matrix, i compared it to JSynthLib’s matrix driver.

opuswerk
              Participant
                • ★★

Hello Atom,

I just tried this version, seems like the Env2>VCA2 kills the patches. Whenever i move it, the M1000 stops emitting any sound, although it does receive MIDI. And no ways to get it sounding again even by moving all the knobs to positions that should emit sound. Changing patch does work however.
                I tried the modulation matrix and assigning the Velocity to the Filter Cutoff, but that did not yield any results.
                It also seems the M1000 doesn’t react well to continuous MIDI messages. When doing filter sweeps, notes hang, as if it was receiving too much MIDI at once.Same does happen with other controls, so it makes the editing while playing a bi awkward. Would there be a software round-about?

I encountered the panel freezing for a while again, this time after moving the ENV1>Freq knob. Could this be caused by Ctrlr? I run the 5.0.3 rev1089 version. Forgot to mention i’m on mac OSX 10.6 and live 9.

About the UI, it would be great if everything could fit in one window, with the modulations and the RMP at the bottom, so everything is easily accessible.

Also, one more general question, would it be possible to integrate an Audio Input and Output to ctrlr? That way it would become possible to use it like the “External instrument” thing of Ableton Live.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by opuswerk.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

You are using a very old Ctrlr, i’d recommend an update.

I updated the panel so that the modulation matrix works and it’s all on one screen now.

I uploaded a new nightly that might help with the matrix glitches, the problem is that the messages get to the device too fast, we need to delay them (at least that’s what i think we need to do), so i added a parameter in the new nightly that globaly delays ALL midi messages from a panel by a specified amount of time in ms (milliseconds). In the new matrix panel this setting is at 50ms, but i don’t know if it shouldn’t be higher/lowe someone with the actual device needs to test this and tell us if tt helps at all or just makes things worse.

opuswerk
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Hi Atom,

Thanks for your super swift reply!

I updated the ctrlr version and grabbed your nightly build of the Matrix1000 panel of the same link posted above. However, I can’t open it, neither in the standalone or the Audio Unit Ctrlr. Other panels do open fine though.

Is it working on your side?

clancy
                    Participant

Hi, the Matrix is a old Synth with a buggy Firmware and a too slow CPU. Sending SysEx and Midi at the same time will cause bad Sound because it internally reorganise the Modulation Buses after receiving SysEx (whatever that means). Two Firmware Bugs are: the Synth will freeze when it receives Env2>VCA2 SysEx and, Env1 Sustain can not be changed via SysEx, only with dumps.

The “not so useful” UI at the start has to be adressed to me. By the time i put it together i was more focussed on the formulas then doing a design job because ‘Bomma72’ like to do the artwork (BTW, nice SEM-Style-Knobs!).

Tomorrow i will try out.

Atom, thank you for being so busy.

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★★★

Well if there ara parameters that hang the unit, they should be either removed or marked somehow. I remember reading that someone fixed that bug in the firmware but now i don’t remember where, maybe on vintagesynth.org

clancy
                        Participant

AWESOME!

even a 10 ms “Send Snapshot” did work (after disabling midi for Env2>VCA2).
                          I re-arrange the UI a little bit to have a better view while deeper testing.

I have to do some research for that custom firmware, thank you for the tip and your work on the panel and the aditional Global Variables and …

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Bomma72
                          Participant

Guys I got my rack up yesterday I will try to test this with the new firmware over the weekend to see if that fixes the issues with the hanging of the unit. Unfortunately there is no way to fix the incorrect parameters without the firmware upgrade.

Here is a link that discusses the fix that someone programmed a while back, there is even discussion of a possible firmware mod to add features. Sadly it doesn’t look like it went anywhere from there though.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/824760-oberheim-matrix-1000-firmware-hacks.html

Here is where I got my upgraded chip. It is very easy to install just slides in after you slide out the old one. The guy was easy to deal with and the chips only cost $6 each plus shipping.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/oberheim/message/1539

Hey clancy, I tried to load your panel however I am getting an error.

“ImportResource resource:oberheimfailed, a resource with this name already exists.”

Not sure if this is me or if this is just an issue with the panel. I will try to update Ctrlr.

I finished the slider graphics yesterday, Atom I will get you that list over the weekend. Am I correct in assuming there is not many features left to program at this point?

clancy
                            Participant

hi bomma72, we better skip the version that i uploaded as it generates problems from the very first start. It was just a 30 min. Drag&Drop action. Although it works good maybe i broke something.

I did not really had time to check the panel in-depth, to be honest, i think i don´t want to do this in a hurry, so this will take some days.

To avoid confusion, when you start with the panel, i would like to let you know that most of the abbreviations used in the panel where taken from the Matrix-6 Manual that can be found at the wolzow.mindworks.ee site you linked at the beginning of the thread.

Thank you for the link.

Attachments:
                              Bomma72
                              Participant

So attached is a list of all the patch names of the Matrix. The file is pipe delimited, with three columns. Patch Number, Sound Category, Patch Name. Not sure how hard it would be to allow the user to filter by Category, but it may be useful since there are 1000 patches. I don’t think it would be that hard since the categories are broken out by 100 each except for the first 2 which are broken down by 200 each. The hardest part would be sorting the user defined ones, if you gave the user the ability to assign their Patch to a Sound Category. I think Lua has some sort of filter function though right? To keep it easy though we could just keep them in the User role.

By the way I changed 889 which was titled “rapist” to “sicko” because really?? Scrolling through sounds just to have that pop up is quite a good way to spoil the mood, to say the least. Not sure how that one got through QA.

Attachments:
                                clancy
                                Participant

maybe the new ‘Program Manager’ will be a good place for the Patch-List.

atom
                                  Keymaster
                                    • ★★★★★

I see 3 modulation matrices in JSynthLib

– User Defined Modulations — implemented
                                    – Hard Wired Fixed Modulations — implemented i think but broken up into parts within each section
                                    – Hardwired adjustable Modulations – ??
                                    – Tracking Generator Source – ??
                                    – Tracking Generator Function – ??

I don’t know if those “??” should be somehow additionaly implemented, if someone could look at the panel, add theese (just the gui part) and mark them somehow so i’ll know that they need to be added in terms of MIDI implementation, then i can add what’s missing.

In terms of the program manager, i’d need some example data that the synth sends when requesting programs/banks so i can try to implement the translation functions.

Bomma72
                                    Participant

How would you want the sample data? I could probably get you a full data dump, if that would be useful. I wonder if the Matrix will dump the 800 default patches though since those can’t be changed.

There may also be a command to request programs and banks via midi, if you add that function I could send you the data that is passed via midi monitor if that would be helpful.

atom
                                      Keymaster
                                        • ★★★★★

First off, as you started this thread you are nominated the panel “maintainer”.

Upload the latest version of the panel i should use and work with, and i’ll try to implement the missing parameters and MIDI requests for programs/banks (i need to read the manual to find out if you can request banks, most devices can’t do that, they just send programs one by one).

Also please let me know what is missing from the panel you will upload in terms of parameters.

clancy
                                        Participant

i wan´t to answer the question about panel completeness.

Basically the Matrix send/receive:

SINGLE PATCH DATA DUMBS (or a bank of 100)
                                          and
                                          GLOBAL PARAMETER DATA DUMBS

The Global Parameters can not be ‘remote’ edited, only via SysEx-Dumbs, so there is nothing done yet. It´s no problem to do this later on a extra Panel or Tab.

The SINGLE PATCH DATA DUMB contains 134 Data Bytes. Bytes 8-133 are in the panel, Bytes 0-7 not. Each of the first 8 Bytes are the lower 6 bits of its ASCII representation (Patch Name) and they are not displayed on the 3-Digits Display. They mainly exist to be compatible to the Matrix-6(r).

This is the Request Formula

F0H 10H 06H 04H (type) (number) F7H

(type)
                                          =0 to request all patches in current bank and master parameters.
                                          =1 to request a single patch from the current bank
                                          =3 to request master parameters
                                          =4 to request edit buffer
                                          (number)
                                          =0 when (type) = 0 or 3
                                          =Number of patch requested when (type) = 1

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by clancy.
                                          • This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by clancy.
                                          atom
                                          Keymaster
                                            • ★★★★★

DATA DUMBS 🙂

anyway, can we start with the identity request. In the Ctrlr menu Programs->Request identity, and see what will the device respond with (if at all, if it’s not compliant with the MIDI specs you’ll just see some data in the MIDI monitor).

Anyway save the data in the MIDI monitor and let me see that.

The manual online (both of them) is broken, that is the new lines in SysEx messages make it impossible to decipher what byte is at what position. This is the identity response, i really don’t know how to read this. If you can supply the identity response i can try to decipher it looking at the actual response.

DEVICE ID    
                                                            F0H 7EH  06H 02H   
                                                                  F7H

=Transmitting device's Basic Channel
                                                                  =10H (Oberheim)
                                                               =6H  (Matrix-6/6R/1000
                                                               =0H  
                                                              =2H  (Matrix-1000)
                                                              =0H
                                                             thru
                                                                =Four ASCII Characters of the version number, right
                                                                        justified.
                                                                        E.g., version 1.10 is represented by:
                                                                         =20H("")
                                                                         =31H("1")
                                                                         =31H("1")
                                                                         =31H("0")

Also the update matrix panel is in the repository (i saved is as .panelz to save space). It will work with the latest nightly (there was a bug with global variables that’s now fixed, but the panel had to be updated to reflect the fix).

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by atom.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 72 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 48 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr