Open Sound Control – OSC Support

Home Forums Development Change requests Open Sound Control – OSC Support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tronic
    Participant
      • Topics: 7
      • Replies: 45
      • Total: 52

It would be nice to have this possibility in CTRLR,
      the protocol is widely used today, and would expand the possibilities of using it.
      This library is cross-platform can help
      http://www.rossbencina.com/code/oscpack

zeoka
      Participant
        • Topics: 73
        • Replies: 466
        • Total: 539
        • ★★★

Good idea

Could be nice to drive some vsti/fx with Ctrlr touchscreen panel…..

I don’t know if it is possible ctrlr vst controls reaktor vst by OSC

fundorin
        Participant
          • Topics: 8
          • Replies: 66
          • Total: 74

Is there any plans to add OSC support at all? The only app capable of doing this is a script-text based osciibot from reaper, which is pain in the ass to configure.
          Other apps like Bome and Ctrlr aren’t capable of handlind osc at all. From those two options I prefer Ctrlr to support OSC, so it would be possible to use hardware midi controllers in OSC-based software. Thanks in advance.
          P.S. Tell me if OSC support planned in Ctrlr at all or not. Thanks in advance.

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

Explain to me what would OSC support in Ctrlr look like, give me some examples of what can be done with it.

I thought about it a lot, and i can do that (it’s not that complicated), but it made no sense at any point. I still can’t find a good reason to spend a significant amount of time to implement this. But prove me wrong and i’ll do it.

fundorin
            Participant

My siuation:
              Controller – Novation SL MkII 61.
              DAW – Cockos Reaper.

Reaper cannot provide feedback from host and plugins via midi. But it have OSC feedback.
              Novation can’t do OSC. Only MIDI (with some nuances, actually).
              I would like to setup multiple layouts for SL inside Ctrlr, with shift modifiers.
              So Reaper will send OSC feedback to Ctrlr. Controller will convert it to midi (and sysex) and then send it to SL’s LEDs (param values) and LCD (track, fx, param names and values.
              The same goes from SL to Reaper.

I’ve seen many threads from people who can’t hook up their midi controllers or keyboards (old and new) to different DAWs and struggling with programming scripts on PureData, Max for Live, Bome and OSCII-bot. Trying to emulate Mackie (MCU and HUI).
              Most of them are giving up and ending by switching to iPad apps like Lemur or TouchOSC.
              Physical controls are always better for controlling DAW than touchscreen. Feedback from DAW to your encoders, mechanical faders and LCDs is also good. That’s why we need OSC support in Ctrlr.

To read about OSC you can visit the official site – opensoundcontrol.org/ which isn’t working for me today.
              Wiki with the list of apps, that support OSC – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control
              Reaper forum and default configuration file – http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/osc/osc.php

Users can control their hardware synths from tablets and phones with OSC apps, via cable or wifi.

As for me, I recommend you to download Lemur editor and some templates to see what kind of data is used for OSC and how it’s implemented.
              https://liine.net/en/downloads/lemur
              https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/

Same with TouchOSC – http://hexler.net/software/touchosc#

It’s my dream to have some app sitting in tray of my PC and act like a highly customizable bridge for my controllers. Same as Automap concept, but not as bad as Automap. 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by fundorin.
              atom
              Keymaster
                • ★★★★★

Well implementing OSC and exposing it to Lua so you can write some simple scripts is not a problem that can be done easily, but that won’t do much, as you will still have to write those scripts.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

Well i started to implement OSC anyway, like i said it’s not that complicated. Once i have some working code i’ll let you know

jonny
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 0
                    • Replies: 1
                    • Total: 1

Great minds! I’m just looking at this, in a similar boat, but mine’s barely a dinghy.

Right now, same position – reaper 5 not supported by ‘touchreaperosc’, opensoundcontrol.org has left Earth, so I’m learning it with the intention of creating a ‘how to’ set of guides, given the apparent absence of such things for all newbies attempting to approach digital music making magic…and getting completely stumped by jargon like cc’s and MSB LSB and OSC and then trying to get any of the stuff working…

inspiring and informative stuff

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

OSC is done i just didn’t include a DEMO panel yet, but all that’s needed is already in Ctrlr.

fundorin
                      Participant

I feel like I’m flooding all over this forum, but there’s an issue when OSC message’s value is a string and not a floating number. Only first character of the string can be accesed by using string.format(‘%s’, arguments[0].s). It should reveal the whole string instead.
                        I wonder, what is the structure of ‘agruments’ table?
                        VSTLua puts all incoming osc messages (bundles and single messages are handled differently, though) in a 2d table, from where I could get all the necessary pairs, but with Ctrlr I nearly broke my mind, trying to figure out of how to get all messages with corresponding values. Help, please.
                        I’m also interested, where should I declare global variables, that would represent CC numbers for groups of controls (faders,pots,buttons 1-8) so I could access them from any other script. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘Change requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                      There is currently 0 users and 60 guests online
                      No users are currently active
                      Forum Statistics
                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                      Ctrlr