Peavey Spectrum Synth

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Peavey Spectrum Synth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lfo2vco
    Participant
      • Topics: 26
      • Replies: 162
      • Total: 188
      • ★★

OK, so I have just acquired one of these interesting little beasts and plan to create a panel for it.

Any other Spectrum Synth owners in Ctrlr Land?

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
      https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

lfo2vco
      Participant
        • ★★

Hi Ctrlrists,

OK, so once I got the 7-bitized parameter addresses out of the way I was able to move on with this project. This is how the panel looks so far…

Spectrum Synth Beta Panel

Presently it only sends Sysex out to the synth parameters. I plan to add Bank/Patch selection and updates from the synths Edit Buffer. But for the time being I have attached a Beta panel so if there are any other Spectrum Synth users out there they can check it over.

Constructed in Ctrlr version 5.1.2.

Have fun…

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

bgg
        Participant
          • Topics: 0
          • Replies: 5
          • Total: 5

Heya,

I’ve been using your panel for a few days and I think it’s great. The best way I’ve found to edit the spectrum without a PC1600.

My question is regarding whether you have gotten the full bank dump request sysex to work. I would like to be able to backup my RAM. I’ve tried sending the string described in the 1.22 addendum:

Dump All 64 RAM patches:
          F0 00 00 1B 02 09 01 7F F7

while listening in receive mode using the elektron c6 sysex dump utility, however, I’m not getting any response from the peavey other than the blinking red light that my message is being received.

It’s a great synth. Kinda reminds me of a cross between a jd990/matrix1000/ensoniq-SD. Very nice tone. I would like to get serious about making my own patches.

So far I’ve been able to select which ROM sounds i want as starting points in the RAM slots, but I want to be able to backup my selections before I start to edit.

The trouble I’m having initiating a dump makes me concerned that I’ll not be able to store the edit buffer using

Save Edit Buffer to current RAM location (if current patch is between 0 and 63):
          F0 00 00 1B 02 09 07 00 F7

but I haven’t got that far yet.

Have you worked at a way to save edits to the user RAM and to initiate sysex dumps?

thanks

lfo2vco
          Participant
            • ★★

Hi,

Excellent, I am glad that someone else is finding this panel useful. Indeed I plan to incorporate more features, however work commitments and a recent house move have put the project on the back burner for the time being.

Regarding Edit Buffer Dumps, there is no Sysex in the firmware for this. I contacted Peavey on the off-chance that they might be able to help; and they went to some effort to contact an engineer who worked on the Spectrum Synth. I thought this was above and beyond for a long discontinued model and really appreciate their efforts. This was the engineers reply:

“There is no command for dumping the edit buffer. But there looks to be a workaround.

1. Recall a preset via program change.
            2. Use sysex command WriteEditBuf (command #7). Data after the 7 is the preset destination, 0-63. This will obviously overwrite a RAM location, which is the “price” of the workaround.
            3. Use sysex command DumpRamProgram (command #1). Data of 0-63 chooses a single preset, so match the number with that used in the previous step. (Data of 127 is a flag for Dump All.)

Hope that helps,
            John

John Fera
            Digital Design Engineer”

I have made some small tweaks to the layout and other items that were bothering me and can post the revised file if you would like.

How do you find the ‘Cross-Point Modulation’, it did not work for me and I think my Sysex implementation is at fault?

Cheers,
            lfo2vco

bgg
            Participant

Is the 127 value 7bit-ized? I’ve tried sending

Dump All 64 RAM patches:
              F0 00 00 1B 02 09 01 7F F7

as hex and the peavey does not respond.

The only place I’ve found that gives an example between converting regular hex to 7bitized is your example on the defective records board. “4A in the manual I have to enter 02 4A in the string.”

Do I need to use 02 7F instead?

Why couldn’t they have just listed the actual strings you’d enter into a sequencer. ahh

I haven’t gotten deep into testing everything in the panel. Cross-point modulation included, but I’ll be testing everything as soon as I get my RAM backed up.

Does the panel have a way to load parameters from a preset so that it shows the current values?

Unless I’m mistaken currently it only performs operations on the edit buffer, but does not read from it, nor can one save to RAM from the panel.

I assume this is what you were referring to regarding how to request an edit buffer dump? I’d be quite satisfied if it could read from a preset, present the parameters on the panel and allow editing to the buffer, then saving to RAM.

bgg
              Participant

I checked the output of the PC1600v software with a midi monitor when pressing button fifteen and it sends the data described for the bulk dump request, but I cannot get any response from the spectrum synth when I send it to the synth. I’m a little confused though because in the PC1600v edit menu there is a gc parameter which should insert the midi channel, but there is no byte transmitted that matches it. I tried using a sequencer to send F0 00 00 1B 02 09 01 7F F7 and F0 00 00 1B 02 09 01 01 7F F7 (for channel 1) without any response.

bgg
                Participant

Ok I got the dump request to work.

F0 00 00 1B 02 09 00 01 7F F7 is correct for midi receive on channel 1

lfo2vco
                  Participant
                    • ★★

Glad to hear you got the dump to work.

Are you able to analyse other MIDI outputs from the PC1600v software, it would be interesting to compare these with the MIDI tables Peavey supplied. Particularly the items I may not have got quite right!

bgg
                    Participant

I’m not sure how useful the PC1600v software output would be. When I was testing it for patch dump request, it didn’t insert the midi channel into the output. The program I’m using in combination for sending commands not in your editor panel is from breakoutbox SpectrumSynthEditor

It’s pretty comprehensive, but crashes a lot. I’ll probably continue to use it for editing/saving patches to the RAM, and then use the ctlr editor VST for assigning CCs and sequencing parameters.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by bgg.
                      lfo2vco
                      Participant
                        • ★★

OK the latest version of this panel has been uploaded to the Panels area of Downloads, here: http://ctrlr.org/peavey-spectrum-synth-editor/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                      There is currently 0 users and 54 guests online
                      No users are currently active
                      Forum Statistics
                      Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                      Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                      Ctrlr