real-world user feedback – ctrlr VST instances

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr real-world user feedback – ctrlr VST instances

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

I’ve finally released (as beta) vst versions for both mac and windows of all my stand-alone editors. Just this past weekend I sent out copies to all customers of the microwave XT, microwave 1, rocket editors, and I also rolled out beta testing for the blofeld editor which also is being sent out as a standalone and vst.

So… When I get specific feedback on one specific issue with a panel in VST mode that I can’t figure out on my own, I’ll make a new thread, but the general “cloud of feedback” I’m getting… I think I’ll generally post in this new topic I’m making. I’ll try to highlight the user’s question in my own words if necessary πŸ™‚ I’ll also be incrementally “naming” each tester so as to help give clear reference for any follow up discussion..

ooook.. so here goes.

Tester 001: MIDI FROM HOST TO VST
      (I don’t have this guy’s system info yet, as soon as I get it I’ll post if helpful)
      i am having serious issues getting the vst to receive midi from my host.

I am running Ableton 9 Suite
      I have followed the text instructions and disabled both midi in and out for rocket in ableton, loaded the vst panel then dragged an external audio effect and routed the audio correctly.
      I then select midi output to rocket and “Input” and “Output” to plugin host and everything appears fine, i can save and load patches and click on the panels mini keyboard and the unit makes noise, all the knobs do what they are supposed too and i’m happy, as soon as i try and work with clips in ableton nothing happens, i get no response from programmed midi clips and clicking the piano roll keyboard does nothing.
      I can see using the midi monitor tools that the vst panel is receiving the midi data, it’s just not doing anything with it.

I have had a real good play with all the midi settings in the panel and ableton but still nothing.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

What would you want the panel to do with the data.

I just opened Ctrlr in Live and created a MIDI clip, the data it sends to the plugin is just note-on/note-off messages, what would be the expected result with those note-on/off messages, if i enable MIDI THRU – PluginHost->device i can see those messages going out through the device.

What am i missing ?

msepsis
        Participant
          • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Tester 002: CANT TICK INPUT/OUTPUT FROM PLUGIN HOST

I’m not allowed to “Ensure “Input from plugin host” and “Output to plugin host” are ticked in the “MIDI” menu.” It just won’t allow me to click on either of those.

I’ve had two reports of this and I’m not sure what could be preventing them from selecting either Input or Output from plugin host.

msepsis
          Participant
            • β˜…β˜…β˜…

What would you want the panel to do with the data.

I assume he’s trying to trigger playback to the synth by playing a midi clip in live, as they’re note on/off messages. When he says he clicks the piano roll and it does nothing I think he means he’s not hearing notes or seeing midi passed to the synth. I’ll follow up with him and try to get more info.

atom
            Keymaster
              • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Ahh the “it’s not getting checked in the menu” thing i can have a look at, that might be a bug i need to fix. WIll get back to you with that.

msepsis
              Participant
                • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Ahh the β€œit’s not getting checked in the menu” thing i can have a look at, that might be a bug i need to fix. WIll get back to you with that.

Yes please.. was just coming back to report I can reproduce that with my blofeld VST. at least in ableton live 9 on os x 10.6.8 I can’t “tick” either of those options. I’m on ctrlr 1547 for mac, the latest available for mac at the moment.

nothing in the input/output to/from host stuff will “remain” checked, similarly with anything under the “MIDI Thru” menu.

All these issues are likely related as if you can’t select input/output to/from the host you can’t get very far. I’m experiencing the same thing here and am able to reproduce the issues reported, You asked about “tester001” and what does he expect the panel to do.. well when you record or trigger notes in a clip’s piano roll, the notes should be sent thru the panel to the desired midi port to the synth. right now it’s not getting from the host to the panel apparently as these setting can’t be set.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by msepsis.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

You can try the new build i just uploaded. It should fix that issue.

msepsis
                  Participant
                    • β˜…β˜…β˜…

You can try the new build i just uploaded. It should fix that issue.

hmm.. nope. Still can’t set MIDI input to plugin host or Output to plugin host. Trying in both ableton live and reaper on mac os 10.6.8.

I first saved the panel in the latest build, then opened the panel from the new build’s vst in reaper. confirmed the version number is the new build, but even just from there I can’t toggle Input/Out to plugin host.

msepsis
                    Participant
                      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

I’m seeing the ability to select Midi input to plugin host and output to plugin host in windows (XP running reaper) but I’m not getting any MIDI to go from my MIDI track to the synth through ctrlr. I’m using ctrlr itself as a vst inside reaper. I was able to have this work without much of an issue a few revs back.. hmm.

These are the steps I normally follow, the same I’ve passed on to beta testers (monstrumFeld is the name of the editor) .. are these steps out of date?

– Disable the midi ports of the machine you want to control in your DAW – this is crucial, otherwise the ports will not be available to monstrumFeld.
                      – Load monstrumFeld to a MIDI track in your DAW.
                      – Select the MIDI out port connected to your synth in monstrumFeld’s “MIDI” menu.
                      – Ensure “Input from plugin host” and “Output to plugin host” are ticked in the “MIDI” menu.

I can trigger notes to the synth w/o issue from the editor loaded in ctrlr inside reaper after configuring everything, But when I send MIDI in from my kb controller that’s definitely getting seen and recorded by this track w/ ctrlr loaded, I’m not hearing notes, no data is going through my interface to the synth. the synth doesn’t get any note on/offs parameter changes, etc.

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

ALlright i’ll re-check this again.

atom
                        Keymaster
                          • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

I uploaded another nightly, hopefuly it fixes this issue. The Live-Dumb-Wrapper look is also fixed.

msepsis
                          Participant
                            • β˜…β˜…β˜…

weird.. still can not tick/select Input to or Output from plugin host in 1587 within reaper on a mac 10.6.8. No windows box in front of me at the moment to test on. I can however now select the items in MIDI>MIDI Thru.. last rev I was unable to select any of those, so whatever you did there fixed those but I still can’t check/tick/select Input to or Output from plugin host in 1587 πŸ™

atom
                            Keymaster
                              • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

i over-complicated that waaay to much, that’s why the problems. i’ll check into that once again.

msepsis
                              Participant
                                • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Issue resolved. Since the 1588/89 updates confidently able to use the VST in FL studio on windows, ableton live 8+9 on win+OSX and reaper in win+OSX

Would it be possible to also make a linux/ubuntu build from the source that made 1588/89? If you don’t mind also let me know which linux kernel/DE etc you’re building with?

atom
                                Keymaster
                                  • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Yeah i’ll do the builds today. I use Linux Mint Olivia with latest updates, there is a simple Makefile and a build.sh script and a CodeBlocks project, if i need to debug stuff i use CodeBlocks if just do a quick build i just do build.sh in Builds/Generated/Linux directories (Standalone and VST)

kurtsk
                                  Participant
                                    • Topics: 3
                                    • Replies: 7
                                    • Total: 10
                                    • β˜…

hello,
                                    happens to me the same problem with the midi controller, no audio, the host does not send midi to vst, not send midi the piano roll.

Win7, Ableton live 9.0.3, Cubase 5.1.1, novation 61sl mkII, Ctrlr_1590

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                  There is currently 0 users and 88 guests online
                                  No users are currently active
                                  Forum Statistics
                                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                  Ctrlr