Recommended Ctrlr version?

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Recommended Ctrlr version?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Scheidt
    Participant
      • Topics: 2
      • Replies: 11
      • Total: 13

The more I play with it, the more it seems that the latest version of Ctrlr is busted.

It shows up Ctrlr-5.5.2.exe on the web and below is the About box contents:
      Version = 5.4.52, Build date = Thu, Mar 30, 2017 6:26:23 PM, Branch = Stable, Juce = 4.3.1, libusb = 1.0.19, liblo = 0.28, lua = Lua 5.1.4, luabind = 0.9.0, boost = 1.57.0,

There’s errors on every single type of console() function and the demo panels don’t work at all. Anyone else having these issues?

Is there a “known good” version to roll back to? I saw comments of Lua errors with other newer versions.

For example, when I load the DEMO – Dialog Windows.bpanelz file, I get 3 error messages about console commands and nothing happens when I click any of the 3 buttons in the panel.

spiffo
      Participant
        • Topics: 12
        • Replies: 38
        • Total: 50

The same thing happens to me with the 5.5.2 Version.

I use the next one down the v5.4.29 and I don’t have any issues with that.

Possemo
        Participant
          • Topics: 14
          • Replies: 638
          • Total: 652
          • ★★★

When you scroll down the main Ctrlr page you will see the “last stable version”: http://ctrlr.org/

m.tarenskeen
          Participant
            • Topics: 30
            • Replies: 113
            • Total: 143
            • ★★

About the console error: This is a really annoying error. Or maybe a really annoying imcompatibility issue (which is not quite the same, but equally annoying)

In the Panels I created I try to keep things compatible with different Ctrlr versions.

The problems are usually somewhere in the Lua code:

console("This is a message")

works fine on older versions but makes the latest version crash.

Instead I now use

console(String("This is a message"))

Which seems to work on all Ctrlr versions I have tried.

Another source of incompatibility are bit operations. In my code I use pure Lua replacements of bit operations that used to require the bit module that is not available in all versions of Ctrlr.

I think developers of Ctrlr panels should try to test and debug their panels on different more or less recent versions of Ctrlr. With a little workaround often it is possible to make Panels compatible with different versions of Ctrlr. Ctrlr is a powerful but buggy tool – I’m afraid we will have to live with that.

MT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          There is currently 0 users and 87 guests online
          No users are currently active
          Forum Statistics
          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
          Ctrlr