refresh button for VST presets

Home Forums General Programming refresh button for VST presets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wildthing
    Participant
      • Topics: 8
      • Replies: 12
      • Total: 20

Hi guys, i would like to create an on screen button to resend panel values after selecting a VST preset in my DAW associated to my editor. In other words, i need something like the CTRLR “send panel” function but out of the midi menu.
      Could you please suggest me the easiest way to get this result?

Possemo
      Participant
        • Topics: 14
        • Replies: 638
        • Total: 652
        • ★★★

In Ctrlr there is the Snapshot feature (program snapshot and send snapshot) but the menu got broken in newer builds. Anyway, I guess it won’t be of any help for what you want to do. So you will have to do that with a Lua script. You will have to get and send every parameter. This is realtively easy though a bit tedious. If you post the panel here I can show you how to begin with. Instead of sending every parameter by CC’s a better way would be to build a sysex dump and send it to the synth. But for that you will have to know the structure of a Voyager-sysexdump and it is much more complicated to code it compared to sending CC’s.

Edit: well in fact building a sysexdump is not that complicated when you know its structure.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Possemo.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Possemo.
        wildthing
        Participant

Thanks for your help Possemo! My first idea was to use Sysex and build up 2 “send/receive panel” buttons, but i didn’t find Voyager Sysex structure. Or better, surfing the web i’ve found the syxex table that i’m attaching, but it reports mainly bytes compositions. As you will see many bytes enclose bits from different parameters and i have no idea on how code them. It’s something too difficult to me (maybe someone here is gonna take the challenge 😉 ).
          That’s why i’ve decided to go for a simple button to transmit snapshot parameters at least.
          I’m also attaching my panel…..it’s a raw version, i’m still working on some graphics.

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Possemo
          Participant
            • ★★★

The Voyager sysex-dumps are quite complex indeed. The sysex-structure sheet is nice but not complete e.g. potmap 1 source must have several sources to choose from. You would have to reverse engineer yourself which values correspond to which sources.

To build such a dump would be feasible with a Lua script. Lua for Ctrlr has poweful features to set bits and get bits from a given value. You will just have to know about binary decimal and hexadecimal notations. For this, the built in MIDI-Calculator in Ctrlr helps a lot. I will never be able to know by heart which number in dec corresponds to a given number in hex or in bin…

An easy way would be to bombard the synth with CC’ – just sending each parameter one by one. If the synth crashes due to midi overload you could slow down the procedure. Btw. this is the same way the built-in “Snapshot” feature transfers data.

wildthing
            Participant

Yeah, the easier way is what i was thinking about. Can you gimme a short example on how You would write the method?

Possemo
              Participant
                • ★★★

Ok I begun the procedure to get you started – see attached panel.

What version of Ctrlr are you using? I had problems enabling Lua. It did not work at all until I copied all modulators into a fresh panel. “Stable” version is strongly recommended:
                http://ctrlr.org/nightly/Ctrlr-5.3.201.exe
                The newest version is not usable for developing panels and older builds are not recommended either.

It was not as easy as I’d expected. If you have any questions – post them here.
                There may be more elegant ways to do it but this one should be somewhat easy to understand.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                wildthing
                Participant

Ok i will extend it on all other controllers. I think i can do it. Thanks again Possemo!

wildthing
                  Participant

Hi Possemo, finally i’ve extended the code to all controllers and everything seems to work perfectly with my moog.Thanks again!
                    Now i would like to do the same thing with my Roland SE-02.I started from the Maniek’s panel and I’ve tried to create the same “send” button adapting your code to it but somehow it doesn’t work.
                    Maybe Roland Boutique use e different standard?
                    Any idea on how can i fix it?

Possemo
                    Participant
                      • ★★★

According to the midi implementation chart the SE-02 just uses simple CC’s with a resolution of just 128 steps. This should be fairly easy to do. No bigvalue-splitting needed here. If it does not work try to set delay to a higher value, e.g. 50 or 100. And *cough* it would be nice if you could share your work with all Moog Voyager users – the same with Roland SE-02 users (btw. I am not one of them).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                    There is currently 0 users and 63 guests online
                    No users are currently active
                    Forum Statistics
                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                    Ctrlr