relative midi CC control of a panel

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros relative midi CC control of a panel

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joma
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 6
      • Total: 7

Hello,

I’m tryng to control a panel with a midicontroller wich sends relatice CCs.
      this controller is used in reaper as control surface (with the help of the midilearn function which as absolute and relatives options).

The problem is that if in a Ctrlr panel a component (combo-box or slider) as less than 13 contents values. the component cannot be controlled in a relative mode (ok for absolute mode)

For exemple: on the mks50 pannel the env mode slider can only be controlled with an absolute CC mode but not with a relative CC one

I’m i doing something wrong?

thanks

joma
      Participant

Hello,
        the workaround i found for that is to double or triple the lines in the content box to get a least 13 lines:

for example:

LPF=0
        BPF=1
        HPF-2

will be replaced by:
        LPF=0
        LPF=0
        LPF=0
        LPF=0
        BPF=1
        BPF=1
        BPF=1
        BPF=1
        HPF-2
        HPF-2
        HPF-2
        HPF-2

joma
        Participant

Hello Atom,

In fact, it seems that the midi input that CTRLR has which receives midi from the host (when ctrlr is used as a vst) is mapping the received cc window of 0-127 to a minimum of 56 (127 :2) modulator values or indexes.
          if previously i have seen a limit of 13, it was because my midi controller was sending increments of 5 values (127/5 :2= 13).

So the effect of using less than 56 values in a modulator, is that the modulator doesn’t reply at all to midi input ccs coming from the host!

For now, i can work with the workaround mentioned previously, but it is not ideal!
          it will be better if these limit of 56 is diminished to 2!
          So if you have an occasion too look at these issue, it will be nice

Thanks and best regards

PS: In the coming days, i will try to make a small video to show a way of using CTRLR that you may not have thinked before 😉

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

What is the “relative” mode and what is the absolute mode.

Ctrlr will react to values that are mapped in the component, so i you have values in the component in the range of 4-13, then if the panel receives a CC with a value larger then 13 or smaller then 4 it will not be mapped, Ctrlr input is not the same as Ctrlr-MIDI controller input.

This basic MIDI Input is for representing values that are on the remote device. Non-linear mappings need to be implemented in Ctrlr (they are not yet) but the messages that will be used for that will come from the MIDI Controller input. This is because you can have a panel full of SysEx messages and you want to control that panel with your generic-plastic-str8-out-of-china-cc-only midi controller. Then this sort of mapping will happen, instead of mapping actual values in the component, the amount of those values will be mapped to the min/max values of the incoming controller messages.

But this is something that will come once the MIDI controller input is completed. For now this behavior is something that’s expected.

joma
            Participant

Thanks Atom for your reply,

Not sure that we are writing about the same subject! Sorry, up to now i was not very clear and introduced a lot of confusion by writing wrong information! Even the the title of the topic is not well chosen!

In fact, Relative (+inc/dec vst param) or absolute is the reaper part of the story (the learn input from a midi controller) nothing to do with Ctrlr!

So Let’s try to be clear!

In fact, the input which gives me problems is not a midi input but the “vst parameters input”
              As you now, Ctrlr offers (as every vst(i)) to the host(DAW) an access to his controllers/parameters. And if i’m right the range of these parameters is 0.00-1.00 (Vst sdk definition).

So About the amount of values in a Ctrl’s component, it seems that it can not be less than 54 if i want the parameter to be “vst controllable” by the host:

– On a uiSlider, we can set the minimum and maximum value and the Interval. So i tried to change the interval to 0.5 (instead of 1) to double the amount of values. But it had no effect. For now i have to use a min-max value range greater than 54 (eg: min 20-max 74).

– On a uiCombo as i wrote before the amount of values/lines in the “combo content” should be greater than 54!

wikter
              Participant
                • Topics: 5
                • Replies: 49
                • Total: 54

I’ve used and programmed some panels and this behaviour didn’t happened.
                Maybe the relative mode response within Reaper is not the correct.
                Try to use Midi Monitor to see which values is sending the host to the panel.
                I can automate some values on Studio One, and also I can control them with a BCR2000 and with the Korg R3 own interface. I’ve found no misbehaviors in this way.
                The only problem is that there’s no chance to increase “maxexportedVSTparams” value. it’s fixed at 64 (I can change the number on the preferences menu, but it has no effect)

MVXSynths
                R3 / MOX6 / Electribe2 / Electribe R MkII / Electribe MX / K4R / BCR2000 / XStation61 / XStation25 / Virus Rack / Chameleon / Proteus 2500 / RM1X / KN2600

dasfaker
                Keymaster
                  • Topics: 80
                  • Replies: 793
                  • Total: 873
                  • ★★★

The only problem is that there’s no chance to increase “maxexportedVSTparams” value. it’s fixed at 64 (I can change the number on the preferences menu, but it has no effect)

See this post:

Modulators without component?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 77 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr