Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Roland D50 / PG 1000 Panel

This topic contains 30 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by husc husc 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    opuswerk
    opuswerk
    Participant

Hello fellow crtlrs,

As rain and cold has hit where i live, i decided it was time to get on with programming a panel for my trusted Roland D50.
    As I also own a Bitstream 3X getting the Hex sysex has been easier than trying to decrypt the manual. Alas, despite me doing my best to get sysex sent to the D50, I can’t get any value to change on the machine. As I believe there are other D50 users on the forum, I was hoping someone could give me a hand to get this going?

I’ve only been working on the filter control for the moment, as it’s the most audible effect, and i wanted to make sure i could get at least something working. Seeing there’s one per Partial, I focused only for their respective frequency and resonance. Unfortunately, despite following and re-reading Atom’s getting started manual, it seems I have to ask for help already.

I’ve uploaded a very simple panel that should only control the filters and if someone is interested in pointing out where i’m wrong, i’ll gladly build from there.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

http://opuswerk.tumblr.com
    www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
    www.facebook.com/opuswerk

macrodx
    Participant

Hi,

your SysEx messages are missing the value and checksum parameters. Instead, in their place you only have a 00 value…
    Try this for lower partial 1 frequ:
    F0 41 00 14 12 00 01 4D xx z4 F7
    xx will be replaced by Ctrlr with the current modulator value
    z4 will be replaced by Ctrlr with the calculated Roland checksum

opuswerk
    opuswerk
    Participant

Thanks for your reply!

Will try this as soon as I’m back home.

opuswerk
    opuswerk
    Participant

I finally found time to boot up the machines and work on the panel some more. Unfortunately, it seems like my D50 does not respond to the Sysex at all. I suspect I might be missing something on the D50, but after re-reading the manual and more, everything is setup how it should be to receive Sysex.

I also tried monitoring the Sysex input from the synth when changing parameters on it to see if I was sending the wrong message. However, it seems that even though I am sending and receiving notes from it in CTRLR, I can’t seem to receive any messages from the parameter editing. So it’s proving a bit hard to find out if I’m sending the right messages at all. I do suspect the Bitstream 3x to be an accurate list.
    I have added a screenshot of the Bitstream editor interface if that can be of any help, as well as the current state of the panel according to macrodx post.

I have quite a clear idea of the layout, so once i get the parameter editing working, it should hopefully be easier to get the rest together.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

macrodx
    Participant

The Bitstream settings say “Control value position 1 (V1) = 8”. This is the 00 byte before F7 in the Message. Also it says “Insert sysex checksum = yes”. So Bitstream will do that for you right between the value byte (00) and eox (F7). So the message I´ve suggested for Ctrlr should be correct.

I suspect I might be missing something on the D50, but after re-reading the manual and more, everything is setup how it should be to receive Sysex.

I think it has something to do with your settings. Could you post in detail how you´ve set up your D-50? Relevant params like RxChannel, DeviceID…

opuswerk
    opuswerk
    Participant

Hello MacroDX,

Here’s the info i’ve managed to gather from my synth. I wasn’t too sure of what you meant by RxChannel and DeviceID, as I could not find anywhere on the D50 to set them. Nor could I find anything relevant in the manual. At least to my knowledge… If you can point me in a direction on how to get this data, i will gladly oblige.
    Currently, I having all my synths plugged to a ESI Miditerminal M8U. I’m already using CTRLR to control my uWaveXT and my Matrix 1000 with it with no problem whatsoever.

Here’s the data:

On the D50 in the MIDI section I have:

• MIDI CH : 01
    Control : B-CH
    SepCH : 01
    Omni : ON
    Local : ON
    After : ON
    Bender : ON
    Mod : ON
    Volume : ON
    Hold : ON