Roland JX-3P with KiwiTechnics modification

Home Forums General Panels, Components, Macros Roland JX-3P with KiwiTechnics modification

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jinsai
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      • Total: 2

Sharing with the community.

I can’t seem to post this on the full site.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Have you tried the tutorial on how to upload your panel ? http://ctrlr.org/uploading-a-new-panel/

Jinsai
        Participant
          • Replies: 1
          • Total: 2

It didn’t work for me… but I will try again later.

lfo2vco
          Participant
            • Topics: 26
            • Replies: 162
            • Total: 188
            • ★★

Hi There,

Could this panel be simplified to work with a standard JX-3P?

I’m new to this and sorry if my question is really dumb. I’m hoping to obtain one soon and I am looking for an alternative to the PG-200.

Here is some noise I organised into an acceptable format:
            https://soundcloud.com/lfo2vco/a-dark-crystal

lfo2vco
            Participant
              • ★★

Back again,

Have the JX-3P now and it’s extremely easy to program from the from panel. So please ignore the above question.

lfo2vco
              Participant
                • ★★

Back yet again,

I have modified Jinsai’s panel slightly and have attached it in case anyone is interested. I cannot take credit for anything other than some cosmetic and layout changes.

I have also increased the overall dimensions. Works very nicely with the Kiwi-3P. Many thanks to Jinsai for doing all the hard work.

CHECK TOTALLY REVISED PANEL NOW AVAILABLE IN DOWNLOADS

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.

lfo2vco
                Participant
                  • ★★

OK this panel has been totally overhauled now. All the CC messages have been replaced with Sysex, also the panel responds to messages from the Kiwi-3P.

I have introduced Load Patch, Save Patch, Save As Patch, Rename Patch and Initialise Patch functions. There is also a feature to save and load patches to and from disk as Sysex files.

Quick demo movie here:

lfo2vco
                  Participant
                    • ★★

OK the panel is now in Downloads, have fun all you Kiwi-3P owners!

Kiwi-3P Editor

upeter
                    Participant
                      • Replies: 14
                      • Total: 15

this panel looks very promissing. What do you mean by: ” also the panel responds to messages from the Kiwi-3P.” ?

Is it possible to refresh the panel such that it sets the control according to what value they have on the 3p? I control the 3p with the kiwi patch editor. But to save everything in my DAW it would be convenient to use the panel. After I changed some parameters with the patch editor, how can I refresh the panel?

upeter
                      Participant

ok… I get it know. When I load a new patch, the panel is refreshed.

But the workflow is not very nice. When I edit a patch using my controller then I have to store the patch (manually on the JX3P) first and then load again, in order to refresh the panel. When I use the panel to store the patch, then my changes will be lost, since it seems that it only saves the configuration displayed by the panel but not the actual configuration of the synth.

Is there a way to change the panel, such that it reacts on the controller? Is this even possible in ctrlr?

lfo2vco
                        Participant
                          • ★★

Hi Upeter,

I am glad that you are finding some use for the panel even though you have a Kiwi Editor.

The panel updates the parameter settings on receipt of an Edit Buffer message from the Kiwi-3P. At various places in the panels scripts a command to send an Edit Buffer request are written in, such as when a new patch is selected.

The request is the Sysex message: f0 7f 7f 7f 60 01 00 03 f7

Indeed when parameter settings on the panel are saved to the Kiwi-3P these are gathered from the various knobs and compiled in to another Sysex dump that is sent to the Kiwi-3P, so you setting in the Kiwi’s Edit Buffer are overwritten.

I can see two possible solutions:
                          1) Add a button on the panel that sends only the Edit Buffer request above, when pushed this should update the panel to the Kiwi-3P’s current Buffer state.
                          2) Add a function to the Kiwi Editor that also sends the Edit Buffer request to the Kiwi-3P. I imagine that it is possible to alter the stored templates.

I hope this is of assistance and good luck.

upeter
                          Participant

Thank you for your help lfo2vco!
                            This brilliant panel made my workflow with the JX3P much better!

I think both workarounds would do it!

However, I have a theoretical question. Since it is ctrlr who reads the messages from my controller and sends them to the synth, and since the messages are the same than the ones the panel generates, shouldn’t it be possible that the panel is updated when I change a parameter on the patch editor, without sending an edit buffer request? Is this in theory possible with ctrlr? I think this would also make it possible to record automations in a DAW. Wouldn’t it?

lfo2vco
                            Participant
                              • ★★

Not sure if that can be done if the panel parameters are controlled via Sysex, maybe if they are controlled by CC?

Jinsai (Anu Kirk’s) original panel on which mine is based, is at the top of this thread. He used MIDI CC for the parameters, download it and see if the knobs respond to your Kiwi Editor on his panel.

upeter
                              Participant

Thanks! I’ll try that!

upeter
                                Participant

another question: the lower part of the panel (assigning functions to the mod wheel). Is that supposed to work? Because when I klick on Cut off, nothing happens…

upeter
                                  Participant

Another question: It seems that no all the parameters can be automated in ableton live. For example OCS Pitch can be but Filter Cut off can not.
                                    Is this a bug in the panel or in ctrlr?

lfo2vco
                                    Participant
                                      • ★★

Hi, sorry I have not used the panel as a VST and do not have Ableton, so it could be either or just an incompatibility issue.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
                                    • The forum ‘Panels, Components, Macros’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                    There is currently 0 users and 45 guests online
                                    No users are currently active
                                    Forum Statistics
                                    Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                    Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                    Ctrlr