Smoothing slider values

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Smoothing slider values

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dxmachina
    Participant
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 1
      • Total: 4

Hi everyone,

I’m very new to Ctrlr and just getting my feet wet. I’m attempting to make a simple set of MIDI CC vertical faders using uiImageSliders. For the most part this is very easy to do, but I’ve run into one main issue that I’m not sure how to resolve.

When you tap on the slider somewhere it immediately snaps to the value that you tap. Ideally, upon the initial finger-down you would get a smooth curve (even linear) between the last slider value and the location of your fingertip.

Is this possible? Apologies if I’m missing something obvious! Thanks for your help.

m.tarenskeen
      Participant
        • Topics: 30
        • Replies: 113
        • Total: 143
        • ★★

I don’t know if what you ask is possible, but I personally would NOT prefer such behaviour. If I want a a smooth transition, I move the slider smoothly in the speed of my choice. If I want a quick and direct change I tap/click on one new position. How else should the panel know how slow or fast you want the transition from A to B to be?

dasfaker
        Keymaster
          • Topics: 80
          • Replies: 793
          • Total: 873
          • ★★★

Set the slider style to RotaryHorizontalDrag or RotaryVerticalDrag.

dxmachina
          Participant
            • Topics: 3
            • Replies: 1
            • Total: 4

Set the slider style to RotaryHorizontalDrag or RotaryVerticalDrag.

Thank you – that’s definitely a different behavior – but possibly useful.

I’m guessing this is doable via a custom script if all else fails.

sm_jamieson
            Participant
              • Topics: 8
              • Replies: 6
              • Total: 14

My requirement for linear slider touch screen behaviour is slightly different. I would like the slider to only start moving after my finger has moved through the current location, preventing any jumps at all. In practice this means you can start off slightly below/above the slider to avoid any sudden jumps. This is a standard type of behaviour in some music applications.
              Obviously it would need to be an option since sometimes you want an immediate jump.
              I have no idea if JUCE supports this.
              Simon.

atom
              Keymaster
                • Topics: 159
                • Replies: 2945
                • Total: 3104
                • ★★★★★

There is something called velocity on sliders, there are 3 relevant properties for sliders you can set, but i noticed this seems to work for rotary sliders only, i need to ask on the JUCE forums about linear sliders and velocity mode.

It should be fairly simple to implement a timer that will smooth out values in Lua, if you are up for it.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • Topics: 159
                  • Replies: 2945
                  • Total: 3104
                  • ★★★★★

Just to update, i asked the question on the JUCE forums, so fat no answer:
                  http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/slider-velocity-mode-not-working-sometimes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 77 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr