studio electronic SE-1

Home Forums Platform Specific OSX studio electronic SE-1

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    limlo
    Participant
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      • Total: 3

HI all ,

as there is no panel for this synth i’d like to use the old CTRLR app or AU made for the SE-1X as it should be the same for the SE-1 , i managed to get the SE-1 to receive program changes and modulation wheel through the app so midi setup is correct but it doesn’t receive all the rest (cut off , env …), not even the keys played through the app .

any suggestion ?

thx for your help

quadraspleen
      Participant
        • Topics: 6
        • Replies: 33
        • Total: 39

have you got a manual for it? (the SE-1) with full sysex implementation? If so, it’s pretty easy (but a bit time consuming)

Open MIDI monitor
        choose a knob/slider on ctrl panel
        turn it/slide it
        Note the sysex string
        I suspect it is the bytes e and h that will need adjusting.
        Check the manual for what byte e should be. Byte e is the unit ID and the unit ID for the SE-1 and SE-1x are different. This byte will be the same in every sysex command sent to the SE-1. Go through each skider/knob and change byte e to the correct value as per the SE-1 sysex imp. chart by the method in 8 below.
        Repeat for byte h, but byte h is the controller number and it will be different for every controller, so on an MKS-70, VCF cutoff is controller number 34 and the MKS format type is 24, so my sysex command to VCF cuttoff will look like this: [f0 41 36 00 24 20 01 34 39 f7] where 39 f7 is the actual value(s)
        Enter edit mode on the panel and click each knob/slider and change the SysEx Formula string on the right-hand side, changing only those bytes that need changing. It took me about twenty mionutes to do the JXProgrammer so it talks to my MKS-70 and I had to change two bytes per controller. The SE-1 doesn’t have that many more controllers than an MKS, so it shouldn’t be too bad

It’s a bit daunting at first coz sysex is hex and/or binary so you might need to convert the values from the manual before inputting them into the editor

Hope this helps!

jake

limlo
        Participant

Hi Jake ,

thanks a lot for your input .

I have the original SE-1 paper manual but there is no sysex chart as there is none in the SE-1X one.

http://www.studioelectronics.com/assets/PDFs/SE-1X/SE-1X.pdf

always found SE guys weird with manuals …

anyway i’ll try  to write them  although i believe they won’t answer …

ciao

Lorenzo

quadraspleen
          Participant

hey Lorenzo,

try hooking it up to ctrlr with the SE-1 panel open..add the in and out dev ice drop-down menus to the top of the panel just to make sure you are transmitting and recieving to the SE-1x, and look in a MIDI monitor window when you twiddle the filter cutoff knob (send sysex must be turned on in the MID menu of the SE-1x) You should see a standard sysyex string..report back and paste it in here..The first string will do..it’ll look something like this:

f0 10 06 05 f7

but with different numbers..If you look inside the actual sysex message of the correspo0nding filter cutoff controller knob on the ctrlr panel (by going into editmode and looking on the right-hand side, or by opening the matrix window and looking for the control in the list), it will be very similar. I think only one byte will be different in the message sent by the SE-1x and the message sent by the knob on the panel. That byte will be the device ID byte i.e SE-1x as oppsed to SE-1 (the byte you see in the ctrlr panel)

You don’t need the sysex chart of you can identify whihc bytes are different from the device and the panel

good luck!

jake

limlo
            Participant

Thanks a lot Jake and sorry for the late reply , all Ctrlr messages ended in the spam …

i’ll try all this on the weekend .

take care

Lorenzo

quadraspleen
              Participant

No worries, Lorenzo..let me know if it works; I’m interested..I’d like to make a panel for the Eventide DSP4000 but I know nothing about LUA 🙂 sysex I’m ok with I’m busy looking at the workings of the panels I have to see how they do their stuff..

Good luck!

Dogma
                Participant
                  • Topics: 0
                  • Replies: 1
                  • Total: 1

Hi guys – Im hoping that someone may be able to help me out. I love the tone of it but find editing beyond the pots on the ui i just dont go menu diving – i cant stand it. So if i can find an editor i might use it but otherwise im gonna sell it. my email is thenewmandmshow@gmail.com – kind regards – matt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘OSX’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                There is currently 0 users and 90 guests online
                No users are currently active
                Forum Statistics
                Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                Ctrlr