UI: New User Comments Nov2015

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr UI: New User Comments Nov2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    human fly
    Participant
      • Topics: 124
      • Replies: 1070
      • Total: 1194
      • ★★★★

i’ll just put here some observations, now i’m getting used
      to Ctrlr’s interface.

PANEL

– Background/Panel: (panel)Name is repeated in Editor, but is slave
      to 1st entry under ‘Panel’ > ie:’passive’? can this kind of thing
      be indicated in some way? some things appear twice, can be confusing
      – may have essential part of item name in BOLD
      or s’thing? easier visual recognition?
      -*keep* view, per modulator(expanded,closed) per panel project! very awkard,
      skipping from one object to another, having to reset view when you return
      to something you’ve already set.

-HOW DO I modify Panel Zoom? (set in red: x1,x1.2, etc.)

MIDI:
      -Please explain how Sysex Checksum is handled: i see ‘z..’ eg: xx,z5,F7
      >is it to be calculated at 0, with z indicating another variable?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by human fly.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by human fly.
      human fly
      Participant
        • ★★★★

edit

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by human fly.
        • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by human fly.
        human fly
        Participant
          • ★★★★

edit>go to last post>

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by human fly.
          human fly
          Participant
            • ★★★★

it’s done it again. after i copied group into the other tabss
            and re-named all objects carefully,#’d per tab.
            this is a bug.
            or i’ve confused an index -but i want useful unique modulator
            names,and it shouldn’t matter.

more cleaning up and re-saving…

oh noooo…they were the objects from tab3. i hope it hasn’t
            autosaved.. maybe i screwed up Owner Group?
            b*ll*x, it did…autosave > OFF !!!
            ————
            OK, fixed. that wasn’t too bad, just recopied and renamed
            group from other tab,ok now. have to check VST #s etc. but
            i should have useful unique names in Modulator List.
            —————–
            i want some osc on/off buttons(4) to appear on all tabs,
            and do the same thing, and be synchronised, so that they
            have the same state whichever panel is shown. thought i
            could do it by assigning common #to each one but it
            doesn’t seem to be working.

human fly
            Participant
              • ★★★★

– it was maybe Owner Tab Index, which doesn’t seem tofollow
              automatically after group copy.
              – if found something odd: horizontal fader, and knob have this entry
              but it isn’t showing for SOME verticalfaders – the slim ADSR ones,
              with 0-127 range. other vert’ faders,smaller with 0-4 do have it, but
              it appears in reverse order in the list..mystery. will reload.

human fly
              Participant
                • ★★★★

-thisis bad: Ctrlr no longer starts. crashes on load, locked out.
                i’ve just lost a load of work then, have to revert if i can, by
                renaming last version, if that works.
                damn, i was nearly finished with entire structure.

human fly
                Participant
                  • ★★★★

right, so i’ve screwed up the tabs probably. how do i fix
                  a file so it will load? or force ctrlr to clear its last project
                  load? can’t even open it, no access.
                  enough for tonight…

human fly
                  Participant
                    • ★★★★

yup..big problem there..i can look at the panel in Notepad,
                    so i guess i could spend a long time finding a point i could
                    start deleting from, to the end, but i could screw it up also.

so i’m moving all files produced to s’where safe, uninstall, re-install,
                    and i’ll see what i can do from there.

(i think some way back in would be nice at this point, like an
                    editable config.ini, so that user could disable pre-load and
                    get at preferences) (i did some good work last night, and got
                    a layout nailed…)

goodweather
                    Participant
                      • Topics: 45
                      • Replies: 550
                      • Total: 595
                      • ★★★

Hi, some tips here:
                      – use the Save versioned command in the file menu. It will save the panel with a Major and Minor number and the date. You can set Major and Minor numbers yourself at panel level by modifying the values of their properties but when you save, the Minor is increased automatically (I described that in the Step by Step guide). Good way to find back a good panel. Please be aware that even when you save versioned, the panel you are workng on is still the original one.
                      – I had the same issues with preload… I solved it this way: in the users/your_user/AppData/Roaming/Ctrlr directory you will find a ctrlr.settings file. Make a copy of it in case of. Then edit the ctrlr.settings file with Notepad. Delete everything after I saw that after that tag it was the last panel details.
                      Save the file. Copy it into somehting like ctrlr.settings.empty.txt if you would need it another time. Restart Ctrlr and you will have an empty Ctrlr window…
                      I will add this tip in my guide…

human fly
                      Participant
                        • ★★★★

oh mate… well, that’s a start, anyway !!
                        tag it as Critical Emergency or something lol.

*nightmare* here: so i could not uninstall, it hangs, windows *and* ctrlr
                        uninstall…then i just deleted the directory, and was able to reinstall
                        previous version i had, and it wouldn’t run, again.
                        > so yeah, you got it, and i thought it had to be something like this.
                        have not been able to try yet,i’ll let you know how i get on.
                        >no indication of this anywhere, as you say, and i think i’ve logged above
                        where i was at with screwing up my file anyway.
                        >some confusion, i would say, with the way Ctrlr tracks what belongs to what?
                        good in the main, but i was surprised that different viewings of same
                        ‘component’ (eg: ‘modulator’) offer a different param list !?
                        ie: 1,short vertical fader had the Owner entry, but a load of different
                        size ones, i couldn’t find it (it was 3am, but i did look carefully)
                        and another (modulator) had Owner appear above the entry it was beneath
                        for the other one – weird. you seen that? i’ll show it if get it back up.

human fly
                        Participant
                          • ★★★★

OK – soi’m back to where i was with my fine structure 🙂
                          it’s a 4x tabs set with an identical group in each.
                          >i’m going to have to go through and change ‘Name’ in order to
                          differentiate in ‘Modulator List’
                          >but i’m pretty sure this is where i screwed things up last night,
                          editing Group names, and such. some confusion also with automatic
                          updating of Owner entry

so that brings up something i saw about modulators and components
                          being different things – and i’m looking at it now:

-Link to what type of property: modulator/component
                          >i realise i don’t know what any of these parameters are about,
                          and skipped something (nor any of the params right down to MIDI !)
                          >i just created a UIslider by going Add *component* (ah..), and
                          decided not to use a custom graphic, and have copied that as
                          many times as needed (for a time+level envelope control UI)
                          >so i didn’t pay too much attention to these, as i was focused on
                          building a tabs structure with repeating parameter groups on each
                          tab, for each of the 4 partials.

-So, starting fresh, i add to main page area a new component,
                          UIslider, and get a blue knob, called+referred to as ‘modulator'(…)
                          >nb: i’ve done this 3x now,deleting eacn time,and it is up to
                          ‘modulator-3’, although i already have in the panel (in groups on tabs)
                          18+ existing ‘modulators’/components created/copied previously.
                          ALL have been re-named for easy identification in Modulator List view,
                          so maybe: A/ it just grabs 1st available modulator#, or B/starts again
                          after a versioned Save?

> ‘Owner..’ >owner TAB ! so it refers to Tabs, ok.

i thought i was doing well, but i realise i still don’t know what a lot
                          of these entries are for. it is a pretty hardcore way to view all this
                          info !! ( -and i can’t really see myself using bubble/popup dialogs at
                          this stage, don’t much like them anyway)
                          >i’m not entering MIDI sysex messages yet, i’d like to sort out layout,
                          and do that afterwards.
                          >VST Index: can i enter these at will myself? is there a 255 limit for this?
                          >’custom modulator Index’? what’s that all this?
                          i’ll have to figure out all the link stuff later. i just want to rebuild
                          the structure safely at this stage. -and i realise i’m not sure how ‘layer’
                          ties in, either(bit of a learning curve in progress..)

human fly
                          Participant
                            • ★★★★

>VST Index -so i’ve realised i don’t know much about this either.
                            what is a/the VST Index?
                            i was assuming it would be a global Index for a plugin for registering parameters, like an address in sysex.

>i saw mention of max. of 256 re: ‘VST Index’. Puppeteer tells me:
                            ‘ableton support up to 128 *Index’s* -suggesting each param has/is
                            an index.
                            >AND that ableton only supports 128 *index*s (so you can have more than
                            128 parameters, with only 1st 128 being ‘mappable’ >?controllable by remote?
                            stored in a patch memory?
                            >i know i’ve put a lot more than 128 params in VST plugins in SE …
                            ANYWAY> i have here an Index # at 732 – it is a UITabs, so i s’pose it
                            wouldn’t matter re: automation. what sort of numbering is ideal in a
                            project?
                            i’m thinking i’d want to use #s in usable range :0-255, or 0-127 etc.
                            or can i assign any # i want to any item: control/group/tab/label/etc
                            ?
                            ;O) just wanna get this clear before i go and create some big horrible mess.

>looking at my current Panel Modulator List:
                            >project only has an empty UItabs structure(with 7tabs), with 1 UIgroup
                            outside that, containing 5 buttons, and then there is a logo UIlabel, by
                            itself in the Layer.(i’m building the GUI structure before populating it
                            with parameter objects from the sysex data list)
                            Q’s:
                            -is it agood idea to put the UItabs in its own uiGroup?(why?)
                            -same for stray uiLabel
                            -i note that the uiGroup has no Index -or Index #/value –
                            (seems logical, but also, why would a uiLabel have an Index?!)
                            (or a UItab, etc. >non-control elements)
                            -why does the label/logo, or group have a ‘modulator value’? have i got
                            them defined wrong?
                            -what is (modulator)CUSTOM INDEX?
                            – i see also MIDI messg type (@’5′)and Ctrl#(@’1′) – i havn’t done anythg
                            with these yet, what do they correspond to?
                            ————-
                            ok,that’s my Q’s for this morning :O)
                            i assume i can continue and re-assign VST Index # afterwards?
                            i’m curious re: whether Ctrlr will starting assigning low #s consecutively
                            if i re-number from eg: 0(or 1) onwards, now.
                            also, it seems to start at ‘modulator-1 each time i start it,having given
                            everything a name from previous session.

soz, elementary questions, just want to be clear on all this.

Q: oh yes: i’m about to re-name my UIgroup – both’componentGroupName’
                            and ‘componentTabName'(is*isn’t in a Tab anymore,but was created in one
                            originally, i think) -hoping this is safe, spose i’ll find out when
                            i restart it.
                            Q: the BIG Question: so what’s the difference between a ‘modulator’ and
                            a ‘component’? you ‘Add componenent’, and then eg: uiSlider appears,called
                            ‘modulator-1’ ??! understanding/explanation of this is key to the LONG
                            parameter sidebar.
                            >NB: I WISH EACH MODULATOR VIEW WOULD RETURN TO SAME VIEW WHEN YOU GO BACK
                            TO IT!!! it jumps back to top, after you’ve carefully scrolled down, not ideal.
                            (thanks!! – for reading my confused blurb -)

human fly
                            Participant
                              • ★★★★

(this all refers at present to 5.2.102 build)

It would be nice if you could sort the Modulator List view manually,
                              with Move Up/Down, like in Layer View. i had to do a cut+paste of
                              multiple buttons from one tab to another, and it…didn’t exactly
                              go wrong but they all landed where i couldn’t see them, and i had to
                              dig them out of a corner, where they were stacked (10 of) and then
                              gave up on their order, and changed suffix numbering afterwards, so,
                              mindful of order, i renumbered them in order, but now they aren’t
                              in numerical order in the list,and alphanumerical auto-sorting isn’t
                              doing it as expected.
                              > eg: i’d ideally like more control over the list, it makes it
                              easier+quicker to check through and find anomalies.

i was disappointed i couldn’t do something like’lock’ them, and
                              ensure they cut+pasted properly.

so i concluded that the best way to move multiple objects, in a Group,
                              is to copy-with-children, and delete the original afterwards. don’t
                              know if there’ll be a reason why that wouldn’t be a good idea yet.

human fly
                              Participant
                                • ★★★★

MMyeah, well that didn’t work too well.
                                saved it and re-opened and somehow one of my groups
                                has double all objects in it.

i think it’s really important to have precise control
                                over cut+paste, -where they land, and in front – and
                                things like moving multiple objects with ctrl+alt+select.

i’m really trying to avoid hidden objects i don’t know
                                about !!
                                —————-
                                right, well that was sorted out quickly without too
                                much trauma, but only because i knew -man, i was sooo
                                careful not to produce doubles.
                                —————-
                                i’m figuring i can re-order my modulator list with
                                VST Index renumbering, if that’s permissable.

Puppeteer
                                Participant
                                  • Topics: 16
                                  • Replies: 185
                                  • Total: 201
                                  • ★★

Yes, you can reorder VST Index’s later. I do it just before export. Make sure you don’t have duplicates though. You can also have gaps. Up to 128 is most important for Ableton Live. Use high numbers for stuff that’s less likely to be mapped.

The Puppeteer
                                  http://godlike.com.au

human fly
                                  Participant
                                    • ★★★★

i’m making current project mainly as a patch editor;
                                    ok, so i’ll save 0-127 for ‘most likely to be automated’
                                    or is it literally 1-128? i suppose it must be, if no
                                    VST Index#0..

meanwhile, i can order Modulator List the way i want with
                                    temporary ‘fake’ #s.

>any idea how many Index#s are allowed in other hosts?
                                    256? etc.?
                                    -i can have the ‘ableton set’, and go progressively deeper
                                    with other hosts haha.

mind you, i haven’t donea count-up yet…(count) i’m already
                                    up to over 200, but yeah it’s workable. no way would you want
                                    to automate some of those.

>HANG ON THOUGH: ableton doesn’t support sysex.

zeoka
                                    Participant
                                      • Topics: 73
                                      • Replies: 466
                                      • Total: 539
                                      • ★★★

in hosts mainly there is no limit
                                      studio1, fl studio ,reaper, and ni hosts are not limited
                                      probably logic cubase cakewalk

ctrlr seems not limited , i ‘m currently confused
                                      normally for more than 64 it needs to use *.overrides files
                                      but seems doesn’t need it ( my exported panels don’t use it )
                                      but i’ve ctrlr.overrides set to 2014 max so i assume this is a
                                      max limit and exported panels are adjusted.

tip : don’t remember to not “export param to host” (first prop in the modulator panel property) if you don’t want it in the host list

human fly
                                      Participant
                                        • ★★★★

ok, think i’ve got that 🙂
                                        i think i can cope with a 2K param limit !
                                        but what is ‘override’????!!!

zeoka
                                        Participant
                                          • Topics: 73
                                          • Replies: 466
                                          • Total: 539
                                          • ★★★

sorry
                                          have a look to your ctrlr folder in docs folder and open with text file

human fly
                                          Participant
                                            • ★★★★

(i’m just going to quote Chat, as it might be useful to other
                                            newbs who come across this thread..and if Goodweather wants to
                                            include such stuff in his doc)
                                            “(re: getting MIDI values 0-100 to display as -50 to +50 in Panel)
                                            gfgf:
                                            in the Modulator part of the panel (on the right side) there is “Expression to evaluate when…” part with the default setting “modulatorValue” in your case you will have to change it to “modulatorValue – 50″ and now if you connect your uiLabel to that modulator it will be getting your modulator values as a rage from -50 to 50.”

re: default start-up values for params:
                                            ” default value could be done with Lua so every time your panel loads all your modulators will get certain value. i dont think it can be set from the Ctrlr interface thou.”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 67 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr