uiLabel set some text coloured

Home Forums General Programming uiLabel set some text coloured

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Puppeteer
    Participant
      • Topics: 16
      • Replies: 185
      • Total: 201
      • ★★

Hi,

I need to reverse engineer a sysex dump format (because for the synth I’m using there is no published SYSEX spec).

I’m building a little utility that allows me to dump 2 patches (or more precisely patch elements) (where I’ve changed a single parameter) and display them on the panel and identify the differences (such as byte positions), but it would be really handy if I could display the differences in a different colour, or as bold or something, so they stand out.

Is it possible to set the colour of a range of characters in a string assigned to LabelText (of a uiLabel) and leave the rest of the characters as black, and if so, how?

Is there another way I could accomplish this other than making hundreds of little label boxes to each contain a byte?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Puppeteer.

The Puppeteer
      http://godlike.com.au

dasfaker
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 80
        • Replies: 793
        • Total: 873
        • ★★★

Use a customComponent for this, there you could write each character in a different color.

If you are on PC, midiOx has a function to compare two blocks of data.

Puppeteer
        Participant
          • ★★

Thanks,

I’m not sure where to start with customComponents. I’ll leave that lesson for another day. MidiOx is a bit tedious for what I want to do, but it will probably work OK. Never new it had the compare function, though I wish it had a 3rd window (Command, Receive and Reference), so you didn’t have to keep loading the file into the command window to do the comparison.

The Puppeteer

Peter_EP
          Participant
            • Topics: 5
            • Replies: 19
            • Total: 24

Hey Puppeteer, did you ever get to complete that SysEx dump comparison util? It sounds perfect as I’m doing the same thing, need to compare two dumps with a single synth parameter change. I tried to use the YOLK on MIDI-OX but my main editor app refused to work so some other SysEx montor is needed Ctrlr is ideal.

goodweather
            Participant
              • Topics: 45
              • Replies: 550
              • Total: 595
              • ★★★

Hi all,
              to compare dumps I have used with great satisfaction the software “HxD”. You can compare hexa files and search for differences using F6.
              Extremely easy and great…

Puppeteer
              Participant
                • ★★

I never finished it. I build the single dump functionality (so I can dump and display a single dump). I got some code from someone else and have been speaking with Kurzweil R&D and have a fairly complete understanding of the file and dump structure now, so it’s become a bit redundant for me.

I will continue to develop it a bit, as I need to test the packing and unpacking required for the Kurzweil dumps, but that won’t be for a while. Basically I’m using this panel as a test bed for pulling data from dumps now (ie check which byte represents the LFO shape, for example)

I’ve moved on to developing the actual functional panels, and I’m just working with the header data at this stage (unpacked data), so don’t need it. For my next panel for Kurzweil synths, I will need this, so might look at it again then.

I’ll have a look through my code to make sure there’s nothing confidential in there that I can’t share, and if it’s clear, I’ll publish what I’ve done. I’m under NDA with Kurzweil so need to be very careful about what I share.

The problem with HxD and similar, is that I need to unpack some of the data first, so I can see changes in the dumps, but parameters are spread across bytes after packing. I need to be able to operate on the unpacked data.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Puppeteer.

The Puppeteer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.
              There is currently 0 users and 59 guests online
              No users are currently active
              Forum Statistics
              Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
              Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
              Ctrlr