30 years of MIDI

Home Forums General General MIDI discussion 30 years of MIDI

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    atom
    Keymaster
      • Topics: 159
      • Replies: 2945
      • Total: 3104
      • ★★★★★

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/happy-birthday-midi-and-new-ms-office

Dave Smith is getting a Grammy for MIDI, he deserves it. The MIDI specs/manuals for all the DSI stuff are the best.

Also a cool little video, a C64 (if you don’t know what it is ask your parents) connected to an Animoog on an ipad via MIDI, still works. 30 years later it’s all running fine. There isn’t a lot of good ideas like that still around.

I’m very happy that Dave Smith gets the award, i hope that Ctrlr will wone day help MIDI in some way, making it even more popular.

Taysete_DJ
      Participant
        • Topics: 6
        • Replies: 19
        • Total: 25

thats awesome 😀 i dind get to that point but also synthesizers must have 30 -40 years 😀 wow my dad start with that analog machines and now im playing this new digital interfaces , but also is possible to emulate any analogs , music scene is massive , as massive 😀

Hecticcc
        Participant
          • Topics: 25
          • Replies: 160
          • Total: 185
          • ★★

It will stay around for a while i, found out about this recently:
          http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/01/20/midi-manufacturers-testing-new-high-definition-midi-protocol/

Héhé, the c64. Mine had a floppy drive the size of a shoebox and loading took aaaages. Faster than the tape though 🙂
          Makes me wonder if it still is somewhere @ my parents place, gotta check it out.

SWB
          Participant
            • Topics: 35
            • Replies: 157
            • Total: 192
            • ★★

Yeah, time for nostalgia. I am still the first owner of a DS:3 system (1985), the poor man’s Emulator, complete with Apple IIe, piano keyboard and of course MIDI (only MIDI-in though…). I remember sending a letter requesting MIDI-out, so I could use the keyboard to control my other gear. But they went out of business soon after. The DS:3 was extensively used by John Molloy and Murray Monroe, being Mainframe. Because of MIDI I still can use it in my present setup! Amazing, isn’t it

OK, back to CTRLR and Lua!

quadraspleen
            Participant
              • Replies: 33
              • Total: 39

MIDI is still around because it hasn’t been bettered yet. The new Hi-resolution protocol builds on what DS built. Big up to Dave Smith!

I was an Atari man myself – Pro 12. Had an MSQ-700 before that. That was badass. It didn’t even call itself a sequencer. It called itself a “Note Recorder” Oldschool 🙂

quadraspleen
              Participant
                • Replies: 33
                • Total: 39

And IMO ctrlr is already helping MIDI. More ppl need to know about it. I tell all my music mates about it. Ctrlr rocks!

Taysete_DJ
                Participant
                  • Replies: 19
                  • Total: 25

And IMO ctrlr is already helping MIDI. More ppl need to know about it. I tell all my music mates about it. Ctrlr rocks!

yes it does 😀 i enjoy so much the way i could use ctrlr with my touchscreen , all i can say is my slave daw mixer in all my projects 😛

dhanapal
                  Participant
                    • Topics: 0
                    • Replies: 1
                    • Total: 1

The post is very useful to me, thanks for more information shares with me.

https://www.fita.in/salesforce-training-in-bangalore/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘General MIDI discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                  There is currently 0 users and 71 guests online
                  No users are currently active
                  Forum Statistics
                  Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                  Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                  Ctrlr