Any documentation on midi input/controller/output

Home Forums General Using Ctrlr Any documentation on midi input/controller/output

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shooking
    Blocked
      • Topics: 14
      • Replies: 60
      • Total: 74

Hi all

No I am not having a senior moment – I know what Midi In, Out and Thru is in physical hardware.

Is there any Ctrlr documentation on the role of the Controller channel please?

It seems like it is a sophisticated potentially 2 way transform engine right?
      What is the internal wiring of Midi In, Control, Out or is it up to us in the LUA to determine this?

Thanks and hoping for a doc link.

Best regards
      Steve

MORE autistic details – read on if you dare.

It seems like Ctrlr is a sophisticated potentially 2 way transform engine right?
      What is the internal wiring of Midi In, Control, Out or is it up to us in the LUA to determine this?
      But it is asymmetric ie each panel has a

MIDI Input
      MIDI Controller
      MIDI Output

I know how to get values now

console("Input chan "..L(panel:getPropertyString("panelMidiInputChannelDevice")))
      console("Input dev "..L(panel:getPropertyString("panelMidiInputDevice")))

console("Controller chan "..L(panel:getPropertyString("panelMidiControllerChannelDevice")))
      console("Controller dev "..L(panel:getPropertyString("panelMidiControllerDevice")))
      console("Output chan "..L(panel:getPropertyString("panelMidiOutputChannelDevice")))
      console("Output dev "..L(panel:getPropertyString("panelMidiOutputDevice")))

--
      Input chan 1
      Input dev Midex8 2
      Controller chan 1
      Controller dev -- None
      Output chan 1
      Output dev Midex8 2

So in above I have turned Controller dev to channel 0 but None.
      And sure enough I can interact with panel but nothing seems to happen.

If I click on my panel what I see is midi generated ie

[13:03:41:000088]: Time(1.000000) [System exclusive] Ch:[--] No:[----] Val:[----] RAW:[f0 40 00 00 00 03 00 00 f7]
      [13:03:41:000088]: Time(1.000000) [Controller] Ch:[ 1] No:[   0] Val:[   0] RAW:[b0 00 00]
      [13:03:41:000088]: Time(1.000000) [Controller] Ch:[ 1] No:[  32] Val:[   0] RAW:[b0 20 00]
      [13:03:41:000089]: Time(1.000000) [Program change] Ch:[ 1] No:[   0] Val:[----] RAW:[c0 00]

(you see b0 .. I want to transform it b[0-f] depending on channel .. but which channeL? My assumption is I want this to reflect the MidiOutputChannelDevice .. but Assume is the mother of (watch the Steven Segal movie to complete the mantra!) )

So I dont quite see it .. In … control .. out. What is the internal wiring OR is it up to us in the Lua to make it what we want?

shooking
      Blocked

so I see this discussion – sorry the outcome as not very clear

Midi Controller setting in Midi menu

I just did some experimentation here with Midi Monitor and various connections – and realized I was colour confused – the GREEN is the midi in 🙂

I sure hope when I put this in code block its monospaced!!
        No preview on this forum??

UF80 [out] ---> Ctrlr IN
                        Ctrlr CONTROLLER <----    [out]  K1r
                        [Ctrlr seems to midi merge IN and CONTROLLER] ????
                        Ctrlr OUT ----------->    [in]   K1r

But in the above, if it is correct interpretion of what the settings do, there is no Ctrl In -> Ctrl Out.
        SURE you can set it in the options but it seems a generically bad idea else you chase midi messages
        I mean you shouldnt because UF80 is a dumb controller … just output
        K1r is good midi spec… Thru is clone of In, and In and out are not connected.

But Ctrlr, if connected Input to Output device crashes more often than not.

So given I want CTRLR to assist the K1r it seems I want to determine K1r’s channel from Ctrl’s Midi IN and Midi OUT.

And if I want support midi input from Midi In (to the Ctrl) to sound on the Midi Out then I have to “make it so” in my handleMidiIn method?

Is that about the size of it?

Best regards
        Steve

dnaldoog
        Participant
          • Topics: 4
          • Replies: 480
          • Total: 484
          • ★★

Do you mean you want lua to change the channel on a CC message Bn? Not sure.

shooking
          Blocked

Well firstly I know how to make Lua change the channel. What I am not clear about… which channel :-).

Hence I want to know move about how Ctrl intercepts midi.

I can see if I turn Midi Controller to None then I send midi out but dont see the in. It looks like Ctrlr channel merges midi in from nominated input device and ctrl …

Some sort of diagram of how Ctrl interacts with the Midi In, controller channel and midi out would be appreciated.

I will debut some more tomorrow

Docs link would be cool.

shooking
            Blocked

ok so now I am mostly using MidiInput from K1r OUT
              MidiOutput to K1r IN

I leave the Controller for using a keyboard – but even in that mode I see the midi In but no notes sounds.

So I guess I have to echo the MidiIn (from the Controller channel) to the Midi Out such that the K1r plays notes?

In effect the on screen keyboards are doing this.

If I want the Controller channel to do this I have to tick “Midi Thru” which is Sending input to output. And that so ISNT what a midi Thru is!!! It’s a copy of Midi In that you chain to Midi In of next synth.

If the above model is “sound” (pardon the pun) then it is the Midi In channel and Midi Out channel that I have to read and hence send Bch rather than currently hard coded B0.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Using Ctrlr’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            There is currently 0 users and 87 guests online
            No users are currently active
            Forum Statistics
            Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
            Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
            Ctrlr