AU exports – plugin name

Home Forums Platform Specific OSX AU exports – plugin name

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    msepsis
    Participant
      • Topics: 219
      • Replies: 732
      • Total: 951
      • ★★★

So far it seems AU exports are working well after preliminary testing from the new build, however the name of the plugin is still called “Intigator-Ctrlr” when browsing for the plugin within the DAW. This is especially confusing since both ctrlr.component and myExportedInstance.component are then named the same thing in the DAW when you go to add a new audio unit plugin to a song.

Would it be possible to export the AU and give it the same name as the name of the panel just like exported VST instances?

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
      Keymaster
        • Topics: 159
        • Replies: 2945
        • Total: 3104
        • ★★★★★

Have you filled all the panel properties (name author, unique identifier ETC ? have a look at the changelog i’ve written it down there).

If it still fails, please attach the file Info.plist from the exported instance here co i can have a look at it.

Synthman
        Participant
          • Topics: 4
          • Replies: 16
          • Total: 20

Thanks for the new MAC-build. It only works with Mavericks OS-X 10.9.3.

Exporting the AU instance works, but I can´t open this instance in Logic Express 9 or Garageband.
          I tried to rescan the AU and deleted the cache file, but the new instance hasn´t been found.
          Any solution?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Synthman.
          atom
          Keymaster
            • ★★★★★

Again, once you export the AU instance can you attach the Info.plist file here (it’s inside the .component directory of the package).

Synthman
            Participant

Here it comes…

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Synthman
              Participant

I saw you built the latest version with OS-X 10.8.
                Maybe this could be the reason why no AU-instance can be created on Mavericks (OS-X 10.9)
                I have no Mountain Lion, only Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

atom
                Keymaster
                  • ★★★★★

Yeah i use 10.8 witch latest Xcode. I didn’t upgrade my VMware image to 10.9 yet and the macbook pro i got (thank you again for that) will not handle anything later then 10.7.

msepsis
                  Participant
                    • ★★★

Have you filled all the panel properties (name author, unique identifier ETC ?

Yes. all filled in, exporting the same to a VST exports correctly so the name of the plugin matches the panel name filled into the properties.
                    Here’s an info1.plist from the contents folder of an exported standalone instance, then an infoAU.plist from the AU for comparison.

Also added a screenshot of the original panel’s properties.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by msepsis.
                    Attachments:

msepsis
                    Participant
                      • ★★★

Thanks for the new MAC-build. It only works with Mavericks OS-X 10.9.3.
                      Exporting the AU instance works, but I can´t open this instance in Logic Express 9 or Garageband.

This is inconsistent with what I’ve found – I’m on 10.9.3 and the AU works and can be loaded in Logic, at least in Logic Pro – I think if you read my OP it might give you a clue as to what the issue is 🙂

Go to your Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Component/ folder, remove the ctrlr.component and replace it with your panel’s exported au instance.component. Launch your DAW again. You’ll still see Integator>Ctrlr-AU but it will be your exported instance – this is because the export is *not* renaming the AU’s unique name with the name of the panel you are exporting, the crux of my OP.

atom
                      Keymaster
                        • ★★★★★

Yeah it looks like a bug of mine. I had to add another panel property for the manufcaturer ID, both the plugin ID and the manufacturer ID have to be 4 characters long (according to the AU specification). So i added that property and wrote a fallback method in case people forget that to fill it with some random 4 character code (auval and auvaltool should now see the exported instances).

I’ll post a nightly build with the fix today.

Synthman
                        Participant

I´ve now checked the new build 5.2.54. Same issues…the instance is created (with its right name given in panel properties), but Logic Express 9 does not scan the new instance.
                          Garageband scans the new AUs, but after loading them it shows an error that this AU is not compatible.
                          I have no idea how to create a working AU.
                          I think Apple made to many changes with the new OS.

I´ve added the info.plist of the new instance built with the latest nighty.

Attachments:
                          atom
                          Keymaster
                            • ★★★★★

Well all i can say is that it works for me, you can always try auval and auvaltool command line utils and see what they report. I tried running 10.9 on my vmware yesterday but it wouldn’t boot so i had to fall back to 10.8.

msepsis
                            Participant
                              • ★★★

Atom – what DAW are you running on the mac side? I’m seeing inconsistent stuff for sure.

I’m on 10.9.4 on my home system and 10.9.3 at work –
                              both can create and load the created AU in Logic Pro 10.0.7. The exported instance is labeled the correct name when loading it in Logic – this is the only DAW that’s working this way since the 5.2.54 update. (LogicSeesItRight.jpg)
                              (Logic_Sees_it_OK.jpg) <- is the correct screenshot for this At home here on 10.9.4, Digital Performer 8.06 still sees an exported AU instance as Intigator>Ctrlr Mono, Ctrlr Stereo. (DP_AU.jpg)

I just downloaded the current garageband from the appstore – sees an exported AU instance as Intigator>Ctrlr Stereo. (garageband.jpg)
                              After selecting “Ctrlr Stereo” I get a message that I must lower security settings in order to allow Garageband to load the AU, then am prompted with the same message the other guy sees – Audio Unit plugin-in can’t be used, The Audio Unit “Ctrlr-AU”could not be loaded for your project, and may need to be update. Contact the manufacturer for an updated version or further assistance.

Going back to Logic:
                              I can load the AU and set up the MIDI settings as seen in the screenshot just like with the VST however even with the automate toggle set to “touch” I can not seem to record automation from the exported instance. (ctrlr_mfeld_AU_testing.jpg)

Dang it.. . need to get you a mac that can actually run 10.9. You can download garageband for free, Digital Performer has a 30 day trial on their site. Logic Pro is really pretty cheap. I’m happy to continue testing anything and everything – I own all of these DAWs and a lot more.

Also – I submitted a few bug reports for the 5.2.23 build. Minor things but would be really great to have fixed if you make a new build and they’re easy fixes.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by msepsis.
                              Attachments:

atom
                              Keymaster
                                • ★★★★★

There can be some Carbon issue here. If DP is using some OLD (archaic) carbon based plugins it might see only the embedded name for Ctrlr (it’s in the RSRC file that i can’t really re-create, since it’s a compiled binary format built using the Rez utility).

I’ll check garageband when i get back home today, i’m testing my stuff on Reaper and the AudioPluginHost that’s part of JUCE (with that i can debug both the plugin and see what’s going on on the host side)

msepsis
                                Participant
                                  • ★★★

There can be some Carbon issue here. If DP is using some OLD (archaic) carbon based plugins it might see only the embedded name for Ctrlr (it’s in the RSRC file that i can’t really re-create, since it’s a compiled binary format built using the Rez utility).

Well according to http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/:
                                  100% Cocoa UI for Mac OS X
                                  Goodbye Carbon, Hello Cocoa

Many of the third-party plug-ins you’ll use everyday with Digital Performer are in the process of being converted from Carbon to Mac OS X’s ultra-modern Cocoa UI platform, and Digital Performer is 100% ready to host them. Cocoa is the future, and Digital Performer is there.

atom
                                  Keymaster
                                    • ★★★★★

Good that means dropping carbon is OK.

I downloaded (borrowed) a copy of DigitalPerformer and i’ll try GarageBand off the app store and see how things look on 10.8.

I can try to use the 10.9 SDK (that’s available in the XCode i’m using) and see if that works on my 10.8 (i’m guessing it should), but i have no idea how will this work on lower versions.

atom
                                    Keymaster
                                      • ★★★★★

Well Carbon is still there i used DP v8 for intel x64 and it uses the crappy .rsrc file, without that file it doesn’t see the plugin at all. So now i’ll try to figure out a way to re-implement this in some way that works (before i had to use a very nasty way to do that).

The weird thing is that if you remove that file auvaltool sees the plugin, so OSX 10.8 does not use Carbon crap but DP is using it and i assume some other hosts will too.

Synthman
                                      Participant

I think there is no solution to build an AU Instance with all that new shit
                                        Apple made.
                                        With VSTs you have no trouble. I use Plugins on a PC which are more than 10 years old from Windows XP to Windows 8 without any updates.

Every OS-X has its own changes and many software doesn´t run anymore.

I can´t understand why it is so complicated to export a working AU instance.

Logic Pro X is the only DAW which does not support VST. It looks like a toy and works like a toy. Any other DAW on Mac supports VST.
                                        This is the moment I´ll change my system and work only with Cubase. No trouble, more versatile, more efficient and much faster workflow.

Thank you Apple for building software for kids…

atom
                                        Keymaster
                                          • ★★★★★

Well i’ve spent some time on that yesterday (i even took the macbook to work today), and it turns out to do that well (better then it was) would mean writing some old (deprecated) code in Carbon or in some Carbon/Cocoa wrapper in objecyive-c (i don’t know that language) in order to create those RSRC files on export. Some other way would be to include the REz utility and compile a RSRC on export using that utility, i wish there was some opensource Rez utility i could embed into Ctrlr but so far i haven’t found anything like that. So i’ll spend the weekend trying to figure this out and we’ll see where that leads me.

Synthman
                                          Participant

Hi Atom, any news building an AU?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
                                          • The forum ‘OSX’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 55 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr