built linux-vst-i486.so working in Ardour

Home Forums Platform Specific Linux built linux-vst-i486.so working in Ardour

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    J_Klitzke
    Participant
      • Topics: 30
      • Replies: 41
      • Total: 71

Hi

I built the Linux VST from Git source it built as ctrlr-vst-i486.so. I installed that in my linuxvst lib dir
      and seems to work in Ardour 3.5.357 very well. the only issue is resizing the interface but it’s
      probably not a ctrlr issue. I’m using AVlinux 6.02b

jpk

J_Klitzke
      Participant

Ardour crashes if you save Ctrlr as a plugin I have to install and unistall the ctrlr vst plugin , if a save it
        with Ardour the next time i open that project Ardour crashes gives a lot of errors and xwidows errors.

I have found that ctrlr-vst-i486.so works better as a plugin in Carla

J_Klitzke
        Participant

Atom

Hi I was hoping to export to a linux instance but not implemented. How long before i can
          export native linux.so ?

Thanks
          JPK

atom
          Keymaster
            • Topics: 159
            • Replies: 2945
            • Total: 3104
            • ★★★★★

Well i hope soon, i started this new job @samsung in februrary and now my main platform at work is Linux so that might speed up that support. I can’t give you any dates right now, but please keep reminding me on the forums i will get to that i promise.

atom
            Keymaster
              • ★★★★★

I commited some experimental support for this last night. You should be able to export instances on Linux now and they should work once exported. You need to build Ctrlr using the current git code.

J_Klitzke
              Participant

H Atom

I got errors when building linux standlone from Git sources today 4-3-14
                linking error?

I dont know what the issue is. I build from git on 3-18-14

Error output:

Compiling juce_audio_utils.cpp
                Compiling juce_core.cpp
                Compiling juce_data_structures.cpp
                Compiling juce_events.cpp
                Compiling juce_graphics.cpp
                Compiling juce_gui_basics.cpp
                Compiling juce_gui_extra.cpp
                Linking Ctrlr_Standalone
                build/intermediate/Debug/CtrlrLinux_891d1366.o: In function `CtrlrLinux::exportWithDefaultPanel(CtrlrPanel*, bool)’:
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:64: undefined reference to `libr_open’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:75: undefined reference to `libr_write’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:85: undefined reference to `libr_write’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:93: undefined reference to `libr_close’
                build/intermediate/Debug/CtrlrLinux_891d1366.o: In function `CtrlrLinux::getDefaultPanel(juce::MemoryBlock&)’:
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:100: undefined reference to `libr_open’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:112: undefined reference to `libr_malloc’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:116: undefined reference to `libr_close’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:126: undefined reference to `libr_close’
                build/intermediate/Debug/CtrlrLinux_891d1366.o: In function `CtrlrLinux::getDefaultResources(juce::MemoryBlock&)’:
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:133: undefined reference to `libr_open’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:145: undefined reference to `libr_malloc’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:149: undefined reference to `libr_close’
                /home/jk/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone/../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:159: undefined reference to `libr_close’
                collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                make: *** [../../../../Bin/Ctrlr-Debug-] Error 1
                jk@AVLinux6:~/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone$

Is there something I can do ? Or is it in the code?

J_Klitzke
                Participant

Hi Atom

Do you need the debug output files?

Thanks
                  JpKlitz

J_Klitzke
                  Participant

Hi Atom

I tryed to build the Linux standalone from git source on a differant system using Ubuntu 12 it also failed.

Compiling CtrlrMidiInputComparatorSingle.cpp
                    Compiling CtrlrMIDILibraryRequest.cpp
                    Compiling CtrlrMIDILibrary.cpp
                    Compiling CtrlrMidiMessage.cpp
                    Compiling CtrlrOwnedMidiMessage.cpp
                    Compiling MidiMessageEx.cpp
                    Compiling libr-bfd.c
                    Compiling libr.c
                    Compiling CtrlrLinux.cpp
                    In file included from ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:12:0:
                    ../../../../Source/Native/Linux/libr.h:30:17: fatal error: bfd.h: No such file or directory
                    compilation terminated.
                    make: *** [build/intermediate/Debug/CtrlrLinux_891d1366.o] Error 1
                    jk@jk-MS-7125:~/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone$

atom
                    Keymaster
                      • ★★★★★

There is a new package that needs to be installed when building ctrlr it’s called binutils-dev (binutils-devel), it contains the libraries i use to modify and create ELF files.

J_Klitzke
                      Participant

I checked
                        It’s installed
                        binutils-dev 2.22-8
                        binutils-source 2.22-8
                        binutils 2.22-8

Errors

Linking Ctrlr_Standalone
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:64: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_open’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:75: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_write’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:85: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_write’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:93: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_close’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:100: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_open’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:112: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_malloc’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:116: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_close’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:126: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_close’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:133: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_open’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:145: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_malloc’
                        ../../../../Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp:149: error: undefined reference to ‘libr_close’
                        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                        make: *** [../../../../Bin/Ctrlr-Debug-] Error 1

Code lines from Source/Native/CtrlrLinux.cpp

line 64 outputHandle = libr_open (newMe.getFullPathName().toUTF8().getAddress(), LIBR_READ_WRITE);

line 75 if (!libr_write (outputHandle, CTRLR_INTERNAL_PANEL_SECTION, panelExportData.getData(), panelExportData.getSize(), LIBR_UNCOMPRESSED, LIBR_OVERWRITE))

Does it need a ; at the end.

line 85 if (!libr_write (outputHandle, CTRLR_INTERNAL_RESOURCES_SECTION, panelResourcesData.getData(), panelResourcesData.getSize(), LIBR_UNCOMPRESSED, LIBR_OVERWRITE))

Line 93 libr_close (outputHandle);

Line 100 libr_file *handle = libr_open (nullptr, LIBR_READ);

Line 112 char *panelData = libr_malloc (handle, CTRLR_INTERNAL_PANEL_SECTION, &panelDataSize);

Line 116 libr_close (handle);

Line 126 libr_close (handle);

Line 133 libr_file *handle = libr_open (nullptr, LIBR_READ);

Line 145 char *panelResourcesData = libr_malloc (handle, CTRLR_INTERNAL_RESOURCES_SECTION, &panelResourcesDataSize);

Line 149 libr_close (handle);

J_Klitzke
                        Participant

I just built from fresh git and it built ctrlr-Debug and that working

I was able to export a Linux instance

Thanks

J_Klitzke
                          Participant

Atom

The Git build from today 4-9-14 only built the debug version which is huge
                            at 139 mg how can i build the standalone non debug version? and nondebug vst ver also?

Thanks

jk

atom
                            Keymaster
                              • ★★★★★

to build a Release version do

# make Config=Release_Nightly

J_Klitzke
                              Participant

HI Atom

No change still builds debug only.

atom
                                Keymaster
                                  • ★★★★★

well the build.sh script builds a Release build so build.sh -f should create a normal binary it will be in the Bin directory of the ctrlr repository, it will be about 32M big

J_Klitzke
                                  Participant

Atom

Errors trying to build from git on 4-22-14

jk@AVLinux6:~/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone$ ./build.sh -f
                                    Building for i486
                                    Compile PCH
                                    In file included from ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/../../../../../Juce/modules/juce_audio_basics/juce_audio_basics.h:28:0,
                                    from ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/juce_audio_basics.h:4,
                                    from ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h:17,
                                    from ../../../../Source/Core/stdafx.h:86:
                                    ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/../../../../../Juce/modules/juce_audio_basics/../juce_core/juce_core.h:235:35: fatal error: files/juce_FileFilter.h: No such file or directory
                                    compilation terminated.
                                    Build now
                                    Compiling CtrlrUtilitiesGUI.cpp
                                    Compiling CtrlrSysexProcessorOwned.cpp
                                    Compiling CtrlrFontManager.cpp
                                    Compiling CtrlrIDManager.cpp
                                    In file included from ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/../../../../../Juce/modules/juce_audio_basics/juce_audio_basics.h:28:0,
                                    from ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/juce_audio_basics.h:4,
                                    from ../../../../Source/Core/stdafx.h:86,
                                    from ../../../../Source/Core/CtrlrSysexProcessorOwned.cpp:1:
                                    ../../../Standalone/JuceLibraryCode/modules/juce_audio_basics/../../../../../Juce/modules/juce_audio_basics/../juce_core/juce_core.h:235:35: fatal error: files/juce_FileFilter.h: No such file or directory
                                    compilation terminated.
                                    from ../../../../Source/Core/CtrlrIDManager.cpp:1:
                                    compilation terminated.
                                    from ../../../../Source/Core/CtrlrFontManager.cpp:1:
                                    compilation terminated.
                                    from ../../../../Source/Core/CtrlrUtilitiesGUI.cpp:1:
                                    compilation terminated.
                                    make: *** [../build/i486/CtrlrSysexProcessorOwned_b505063d.o] Error 1
                                    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs….
                                    make: *** [../build/i486/CtrlrFontManager_54d87888.o] Error 1
                                    make: *** [../build/i486/CtrlrIDManager_f212d9c.o] Error 1
                                    make: *** [../build/i486/CtrlrUtilitiesGUI_4d233a31.o] Error 1

real 0m3.917s
                                    user 0m14.302s
                                    sys 0m0.607s
                                    jk@AVLinux6:~/ctrlr/Builds/Generated/Linux/Standalone$

atom
                                    Keymaster
                                      • ★★★★★

Shit fuck.
                                      Fixed, some files were missing.

Try it now.
                                      (i’m learning git myself so it might take me a while to figure all this out)

msepsis
                                      Participant
                                        • Topics: 219
                                        • Replies: 732
                                        • Total: 951
                                        • ★★★

-So am i correct to not expect the latest linux ctrlr build to be capable of exporting a .so plugin version?

-also remind me please, where does the ctrlrVST.so file go? I put it in usr/lib/LADPSA but renoise isn’t finding it when scanning the plugins folder. The file is chmod’d 777.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

atom
                                        Keymaster
                                          • ★★★★★

Yes linux should now work, the .so files got somewhere in /usr/lib there is no directory defined you pass it to the host everytime.

I’m sure there are very long and very boring discussions why a directory is better or worse, and i’m sure none of them is something you should read.

This seems reasonable:
                                          https://community.ardour.org/node/7744

msepsis
                                          Participant
                                            • Topics: 219
                                            • Replies: 732
                                            • Total: 951
                                            • ★★★

Thanks atom – I can not load the latest i686 or x86_64 in bitwig or renoise – from the April 16th builds – I thought at first the error was with bitwig – reported the issue on their board..

I got the following error in terminal when trying to load the x86_64 ctrlr so file into bitwig:

64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 127
                                            Error messages:

CtrlrProcessor::ctor
                                            /opt/bitwig-studio/bin/BitwigPluginHost64: symbol lookup error: //home/rob/VSTS/Ctrlr-VST-x86_64.so: undefined symbol: bfd_init

32 bit plugin host reported errors: Error executing command /opt/bitwig-studio/bin32/BitwigPluginHost32 info-file /tmp/vst-info3362755516305590944tmp /home/rob/VSTS/Ctrlr-VST-x86_64.so: Cannot run program "/opt/bitwig-studio/bin32/BitwigPluginHost32" (in directory "/opt/bitwig-studio/bin32"): error=2, No such file or directory
                                                at z.a(SourceFile:146)
                                                at z.b(SourceFile:201)
                                                at z.a(SourceFile:380)
                                                at cnU.b(SourceFile:135)
                                                ... 9 more

here was their reply:

Aah, first thing i noticed, that looks confusing here, but makes sense: BWS tries to launch this VST with the 64-bit host first, this gives an undefined symbol error (i’d say binutils are not correctly built in, here) After failing, it gives the 32 bit host a try – which completely fails out of obvious reasons.

Monstrum Media | Music, Sound & Software Design, Chicago / San Francisco listen

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • The forum ‘Linux’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                          There is currently 0 users and 78 guests online
                                          No users are currently active
                                          Forum Statistics
                                          Threads: 2,495, Posts: 17,374, Members: 77,605
                                          Most users ever online was 12 on January 22, 2019 3:47 pm
                                          Ctrlr